This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. KJ Joshipura , A Ascherio , JE Manson , MJ Stampfer , EB Rimm , FE Speizer , CH Hennekens , D Spiegelman & WC Willett (1999) Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. JAMA 282, 1233–1239.
2. KJ Joshipura , FB Hu , JE Manson (2001) The effect of fruit and vegetable intake on risk for coronary heart disease. Ann Intern Med 134, 1106–1114.
5. SL Booth , JF Sallis , C Ritenbaugh (2001) Environmental and societal factors affect food choice and physical activity: rationale, influences, and leverage points. Nutr Rev 59, Suppl., S21–S39.
6. M Story , K Kaphingst , R Robinson-O’Brien & K Glanz (2008) Creating healthy food and eating environments: policy and environmental approaches. Annu Rev Public Health 29, 253–272.
7. S Cummins & S Macintyre (2006) Food environments and obesity – neighbourhood or nation? Int J Epidemiol 35, 100–104.
9. A Forsyth , S Macintyre & A Anderson (1994) Diets for disease? Intraurban variation in reported food consumption in Glasgow. Appetite 22, 259–274.
11. K Morland , S Wing & A Diez Roux (2002) The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents diets: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Am J Public Health 92, 1761–1767.
12. SN Zenk , AJ Schulz , T Hollis-Neely , RT Campbell , N Holmes , G Watkins , R Nwankwo & A Odoms-Young (2005) Fruit and vegetable intake in African Americans – income and store characteristics. Am J Prev Med 29, 1–9.
13. LV Moore & AVD Roux (2006) Associations of neighborhood characteristics with the location and type of food stores. Am J Public Health 96, 325–331.
14. SN Zenk , AJ Schulz , BA Israel , SA James , SM Bao & ML Wilson (2005) Neighborhood racial composition, neighborhood poverty, and the spatial accessibility of supermarkets in metropolitan Detroit. Am J Public Health 95, 660–667.
15. K Morland , S Wing , AD Roux & C Poole (2002) Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places. Am J Prev Med 22, 23–29.
16. T Pearson , J Russell , MJ Campbell & ME Barker (2005) Do ‘food deserts’ influence fruit and vegetable consumption? A cross-sectional study. Appetite 45, 195–197.
17. G Turrell , T Blakely , C Patterson & B Oldenburg (2004) A multilevel analysis of socioeconomic (small area) differences in household food purchasing behaviour. J Epidemiol Community Health 58, 208–215.
18. J Pearce , R Hiscock , T Blakely & K Witten (2008) The contextual effects of neighbourhood access to supermarkets and convenience stores on individual fruit and vegetable consumption. J Epidemiol Community Health 62, 198–201.
19. S Cummins & S Macintyre (2002) A systematic study of an urban foodscape: the price and availability of food in Greater Glasgow. Urban Studies 39, 2115–2130.
20. E Winkler , G Turrell & C Patterson (2006) Does living in a disadvantaged area entail limited opportunities to purchase fresh fruit and vegetables in terms of price, availability, and variety? Findings from the Brisbane Food Study. Health Place 12, 741–748.
21. J Pearce , K Witten , R Hiscock & T Blakely (2007) Are socially disadvantaged neighbourhoods deprived of health-related community resources? Int J Epidemiol 36, 348–355.
22. S Cummins , M Petticrew , C Higgins , A Findlay & L Sparks (2005) Large scale food retailing as an intervention for diet and health: quasi-experimental evaluation of a natural experiment. J Epidemiol Community Health 59, 1035–1040.
23. S Cummins , A Findlay , C Higgins , M Petticrew , L Sparks & H Thomson (2008) Reducing inequalities in health and diet: findings from a study on the impact of a food retail development. Environ Plann A 40, 402–422.
24. N Wrigley , D Warm & B Margetts (2003) Deprivation, diet, and food-retail access: findings from the Leeds ‘food deserts’ study. Environ Plann A 35, 151–188.
25. K Glanz , JF Sallis , BE Saelens & LD Frank (2005) Healthy nutrition environments: concepts and measures. Am J Health Promot 19, 330–333.
31. S Cummins & S Macintyre (2002) ‘Food deserts’ – evidence and assumption in health policy making. BMJ 325, 436–438.