- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: December 2009
- Print publication year: 1989
- Online ISBN: 9780511601033
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511601033
Since the development of the modern state system in Europe four centuries ago, there have been ten general wars involving a majority of the major powers and a high level of casualties. Another major war is difficult to conceive of, since it would presumably be the last such conflict, and yet it is not an impossibility. In this volume a distinguished group of political scientists and historians examine the origins of major wars and discuss the problems in preventing a nuclear war.