This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. HE Volk , T Kerin , F Lurmann (2014) Autism spectrum disorder: interaction of air pollution with the MET receptor tyrosine kinase gene. Epidemiology 25, 44–47.
6. AJ Whitehouse & FJ Stanley (2013) Is autism one or multiple disorders? Med J Aust 198, 302–303.
7. C Fountain , AS Winter & PS Bearman (2012) Six developmental trajectories characterize children with autism. Pediatrics 129, e1112–e1120.
8. D Fein , M Barton , IM Eigsti (2013) Optimal outcome in individuals with a history of autism. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 54, 195–205.
11. EW Viscidi , EW Triche , MF Pescosolido (2013) Clinical characteristics of children with autism spectrum disorder and co-occurring epilepsy. PLoS ONE 8, e67797.
13. G Novarino , P El-Fishawy , H Kayserili (2012) Mutations in BCKD-kinase lead to a potentially treatable form of autism with epilepsy. Science 338, 394–397.
16. SJ Walker , J Fortunato , LG Gonzalez (2013) Identification of unique gene expression profile in children with regressive autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and ileocolitis. PLoS ONE 8, e58058.
19. C Millward , M Ferriter , S Calver (2008) Gluten- and casein-free diets for autistic spectrum disorder. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD003498.
20. T Buie (2013) The relationship of autism and gluten. Clin Ther 35, 578–583.
21. S Marí-Bauset , I Zazpe , A Mari-Sanchis (2014) Evidence of the gluten-free and casein-free diet in autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review. J Child Neurol (In the Press).
24. L Pedersen , S Parlar , K Kvist (2014) Data mining the ScanBrit study of a gluten- and casein-free dietary intervention for children with autism spectrum disorders: behavioural and psychometric measures of dietary response. Nutr Neurosci 17, 207–213.
25. P Whiteley , D Haracopos , AM Knivsberg (2010) The ScanBrit randomised, controlled, single-blind study of a gluten- and casein-free dietary intervention for children with autism spectrum disorders. Nutr Neurosci 13, 87–100.
26. RJ Anderson , DJ Bendell , I Garnett (2002) Identification of indolyl-3-acryloylglycine in the urine of people with autism. J Pharm Pharmacol 54, 295–298.
28. FC Dohan (1988) Genetic hypothesis of idiopathic schizophrenia: its exorphin connection. Schizophr Bull 14, 489–494.
31. IC Batista , L Gandolfi , YK Nobrega (2012) Autism spectrum disorder and celiac disease: no evidence for a link. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 70, 28–33.
34. TL Sahley & J Panksepp (1987) Brain opioids and autism: an updated analysis of possible linkages. J Autism Dev Disord 17, 201–216.
35. C Gillberg (1995) Endogenous opioids and opiate antagonists in autism: brief review of empirical findings and implications for clinicians. Dev Med Child Neurol 37, 239–245.
39. LC Hunter , A O'Hare , WJ Herron (2003) Opioid peptides and dipeptidyl peptidase in autism. Dev Med Child Neurol 45, 121–128.
41. RI Kushak , GY Lauwers , HS Winter (2011) Intestinal disaccharidase activity in patients with autism: effect of age, gender, and intestinal inflammation. Autism 15, 285–294.
45. L de Magistris , A Picardi , D Siniscalco (2013) Antibodies against food antigens in patients with autistic spectrum disorders. Biomed Res Int 2013, 729349.
48. H Jyonouchi , L Geng , A Cushing-Ruby (2008) Impact of innate immunity in a subset of children with autism spectrum disorders: a case control study. J Neuroinflammation 5, 52.
49. GA Mostafa , DF El-Sherif & LY Al-Ayadhi (2014) Systemic auto-antibodies in children with autism. J Neuroimmunol 272, 94–98.
50. AC Brown & L Mehl-Madrona (2011) Autoimmune and gastrointestinal dysfunctions: does a subset of children with autism reveal a broader connection? Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 5, 465–477.
51. P Ashwood , A Anthony , F Torrente (2004) Spontaneous mucosal lymphocyte cytokine profiles in children with autism and gastrointestinal symptoms: mucosal immune activation and reduced counter regulatory interleukin-10. J Clin Immunol 24, 664–673.
54. JF Ludvigsson , A Reichenberg , CM Hultman (2013) A nationwide study of the association between celiac disease and the risk of autistic spectrum disorders. JAMA Psychiatry 70, 1224–1230.
55. EG Severance , A Alaedini , S Yang (2012) Gastrointestinal inflammation and associated immune activation in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 138, 48–53.
57. YE Borre , RD Moloney & G Clarke (2014) The impact of microbiota on brain and behavior: mechanisms and therapeutic potential. Adv Exp Med Biol 817, 373–403.