1. Stamler, J (1997) The INTERSALT study: background, methods, findings, and implications. Am J Clin Nutr 65, 2 Suppl., 626S–642S.
2. Sacks, FM, Svetkey, LP, Vollmer, WM et al. ; DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group (2001) Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. New Engl J Med 344, 3–10.
3. He, FJ & MacGregor, GA (2002) Effect of modest salt reduction on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized studies. Implication for public health. J Hum Hypertens 16, 761–770.
4. Cook, NR, Cutler, JA, Obarzanek, E, Buring, JE, Rexrode, KM, Kumanyika, SK, Appel, LJ & Whelton, PK (2007) Long term effects of dietary sodium reduction on cardiovascular disease outcomes: observational follow-up of the Trials of Hypertension Prevention (TOHP). BMJ 334, 885–888.
5. Fodor, JG, Whitmore, B, Leenen, F & Larochelle, P (1999) Recommendations on dietary salt. CMAJ 160, 9 Suppl., S29–S34.
7. Whelton, PK, He, J, Appel, LJ et al. ; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee (2002) Primary prevention of hypertension. Clinical and public health advisory from the National high blood pressure education program. JAMA 288, 1882–1888.
8. Nordic Council of Ministers (2004) Nordic Nutrition Recommendations 2004. Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers.
9. Becker, W & Pearson, M (2002) Riksmaten 1997–98. Metod- och resultatrapport (Dietary Habits and Nutrient Intake in Sweden 1997–98). Uppsala: Swedish National Food Administration.
10. Lorentzon, M, Mellström, D & Ohlsson, C (2005) Age of attainment of peak bone mass is site specific in Swedish men – The GOOD study. J Bone Miner Res 20, 1223–1227.
11. Klingberg, S, Hallenberg, E, Lorentzon, M, Mellström, D, Ohlsson, C & Hulthén, L (2008) Characteristics of under- and over-reporters of energy intake among 18–20-year-old males: the Gothenburg Osteoporosis and Obesity Determinants (GOOD) study. Public Health Nutr 11, 1117–1123.
12. Bingham, S & Cummings, JH (1983) The use of 4-aminobenzoic acid as a marker to validate the completeness of 24 h urine collections in man. Clin Sci 64, 629–635.
13. Sjöberg, A, Slinde, F, Arvidsson, D, Ellegård, L, Gramatkovski, E, Hallberg, L & Hulthén, L (2003) Energy intake in Swedish adolescents: validation of diet history with doubly labelled water. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 1643–1652.
14. Swedish National Food Administration (2003) The Food Composition Table – Energy and Nutrients. Uppsala: Swedish National Food Administration.
15. WHO Expert Committee (1982) Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease. WHO Technical Report Series no. 678. Geneva: WHO.
16. Larsson, CL & Johansson, GK (2002) Dietary intake and nutritional status of young vegans and omnivores in Sweden. Am J Clin Nutr 76, 100–106.
17. Rosell, M, Hellenius, ML, de Faire, U et al. (2003) Contribution of a manually coded part in an optically readable, precoded seven day food record for the intake of energy, nutrients and foods. Scand J Nutr 47, 123–131.
18. Grim, CE, Luft, FC, Miller, JZ, Brown, PL, Gannon, MA & Weinberger, MH (1979) Effects of sodium loading and depletion in normotensive first degree relatives of essential hypertensives. J Lab Clin Med 94, 764–771.
19. Gudmundsson, O, Berglund, G, Herlitz, H, Andersson, O & Jonsson, J (1983) Influence of age on the response to increased salt intake: effects on blood pressure and sodium in erythrocytes. J Hypertens 1, Suppl. 2, 15–17.
20. Melander, O, von Wowern, F, Frandsen, E, Burri, P, Willsteen, G, Aurell, M & Hulthén, UL (2007) Moderate salt restriction effectively lowers blood pressure and degree of salt sensitivity is related to baseline concentration of rennin and N-terminal atrial natriuretic peptide in plasma. J Hypertens 25, 619–627.
21. Andersen, L, Rasmussen, LB, Larsen, EH & Jakobsen, J (2009) Intake of household salt in a Danish population. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 598–604.
22. Pietinen, P, Valsta, LM, Hirvonen, T & Sinkko, H (2007) Labelling the salt content in foods: a useful tool in reducing sodium intake in Finland. Public Health Nutr 11, 335–340.
23. Murray, CJ, Lauer, JA, Hutubessy, RC, Niessen, L, Tomijima, N, Rodgers, A, Lawes, CM & Evans, DB (2003) Effectiveness and costs of intervention to lower systolic blood pressure and cholesterol: a global and regional analysis on reduction of cardiovascular-disease risk. Lancet 361, 717–725.