1. Stamler J (1997) The INTERSALT study: background, methods, findings, and implications. Am J Clin Nutr 65, 2 Suppl., 626S–642S.
2. Sacks FM, Svetkey LP, Vollmer WM et al. ; DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group (2001) Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. New Engl J Med 344, 3–10.
3. He FJ & MacGregor GA (2002) Effect of modest salt reduction on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized studies. Implication for public health. J Hum Hypertens 16, 761–770.
4. Cook NR, Cutler JA, Obarzanek E, Buring JE, Rexrode KM, Kumanyika SK, Appel LJ & Whelton PK (2007) Long term effects of dietary sodium reduction on cardiovascular disease outcomes: observational follow-up of the Trials of Hypertension Prevention (TOHP). BMJ 334, 885–888.
5. Fodor JG, Whitmore B, Leenen F & Larochelle P (1999) Recommendations on dietary salt. CMAJ 160, 9 Suppl., S29–S34.
7. Whelton PK, He J, Appel LJ et al. ; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee (2002) Primary prevention of hypertension. Clinical and public health advisory from the National high blood pressure education program. JAMA 288, 1882–1888.
8. Nordic Council of Ministers (2004) Nordic Nutrition Recommendations 2004. Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers.
9. Becker W & Pearson M (2002) Riksmaten 1997–98. Metod- och resultatrapport (Dietary Habits and Nutrient Intake in Sweden 1997–98). Uppsala: Swedish National Food Administration.
10. Lorentzon M, Mellström D & Ohlsson C (2005) Age of attainment of peak bone mass is site specific in Swedish men – The GOOD study. J Bone Miner Res 20, 1223–1227.
11. Klingberg S, Hallenberg E, Lorentzon M, Mellström D, Ohlsson C & Hulthén L (2008) Characteristics of under- and over-reporters of energy intake among 18–20-year-old males: the Gothenburg Osteoporosis and Obesity Determinants (GOOD) study. Public Health Nutr 11, 1117–1123.
12. Bingham S & Cummings JH (1983) The use of 4-aminobenzoic acid as a marker to validate the completeness of 24 h urine collections in man. Clin Sci 64, 629–635.
13. Sjöberg A, Slinde F, Arvidsson D, Ellegård L, Gramatkovski E, Hallberg L & Hulthén L (2003) Energy intake in Swedish adolescents: validation of diet history with doubly labelled water. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 1643–1652.
14. Swedish National Food Administration (2003) The Food Composition Table – Energy and Nutrients. Uppsala: Swedish National Food Administration.
15. WHO Expert Committee (1982) Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease. WHO Technical Report Series no. 678. Geneva: WHO.
16. Larsson CL & Johansson GK (2002) Dietary intake and nutritional status of young vegans and omnivores in Sweden. Am J Clin Nutr 76, 100–106.
17. Rosell M, Hellenius ML, de Faire U et al. (2003) Contribution of a manually coded part in an optically readable, precoded seven day food record for the intake of energy, nutrients and foods. Scand J Nutr 47, 123–131.
18. Grim CE, Luft FC, Miller JZ, Brown PL, Gannon MA & Weinberger MH (1979) Effects of sodium loading and depletion in normotensive first degree relatives of essential hypertensives. J Lab Clin Med 94, 764–771.
19. Gudmundsson O, Berglund G, Herlitz H, Andersson O & Jonsson J (1983) Influence of age on the response to increased salt intake: effects on blood pressure and sodium in erythrocytes. J Hypertens 1, Suppl. 2, 15–17.
20. Melander O, von Wowern F, Frandsen E, Burri P, Willsteen G, Aurell M & Hulthén UL (2007) Moderate salt restriction effectively lowers blood pressure and degree of salt sensitivity is related to baseline concentration of rennin and N-terminal atrial natriuretic peptide in plasma. J Hypertens 25, 619–627.
21. Andersen L, Rasmussen LB, Larsen EH & Jakobsen J (2009) Intake of household salt in a Danish population. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 598–604.
22. Pietinen P, Valsta LM, Hirvonen T & Sinkko H (2007) Labelling the salt content in foods: a useful tool in reducing sodium intake in Finland. Public Health Nutr 11, 335–340.
23. Murray CJ, Lauer JA, Hutubessy RC, Niessen L, Tomijima N, Rodgers A, Lawes CM & Evans DB (2003) Effectiveness and costs of intervention to lower systolic blood pressure and cholesterol: a global and regional analysis on reduction of cardiovascular-disease risk. Lancet 361, 717–725.