This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. J Slavin (2004) Whole grains and human health. Nutr Res Rev 17, 99–110.
3. BJ Venn & TJ Green (2007) Glycemic index and glycemic load: measurement issues and their effect on diet-disease relationships. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, Suppl. 1, S122–S131.
9. HN Englyst , SM Kingman , GJ Hudson (1996) Measurement of resistant starch in vitro and in vivo. Br J Nutr 75, 749–755.
10. SW Rizkalla , M Laromiguiere , M Champ (2007) Effect of baking process on postprandial metabolic consequences: randomized trials in normal and type 2 diabetic subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 175–183.
14. AS Truswell (2002) Cereal grains and coronary heart disease. Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 1–14.
16. P Pietinen , EB Rimm , P Korhonen (1996) Intake of dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease in a cohort of Finnish men. The Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta-Carotene Cancer Prevention Study. Circulation 94, 2720–2727.
17. JN Morris , JW Marr & DG Clayton (1977) Diet and heart: a postscript. BMJ 2, 1307–1314.
18. MA Pereira , E O'Reilly , K Augustsson (2004) Dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease. A pooled analysis of cohort studies. Arch Intern Med 164, 370–376.
19. EB Rimm , A Ascherio , E Giovannucci (1996) Vegetable, fruit and cereal fiber intake and risk of coronary heart disease among men. JAMA 275, 447–451.
23. AT Erkkilä , DM Herrington , D Mozaffarian (2005) Cereal fiber and whole-grain intake are associated with reduced progression of coronary-artery atherosclerosis in postmenopausal women with coronary artery disease. Am Heart J 150, 94–101.
26. MA Murtaugh , DR Jacobs Jr, B Jacob (2003) Epidemiological support for the protection of whole grains against diabetes. Proceed Nutr Soc 62, 143–149.
29. CJ Henry , HJ Lightowler , EA Tydeman (2006) Use of low-glycaemic index bread to reduce 24-h blood glucose: implications for dietary advice to non-diabetic and diabetic subjects. Int J Food Sci Nutr 57, 273–278.
30. F Marangoni & A Poli (2008) The glycemic index of bread and biscuits is markedly reduced by the addition of a proprietary fiber mixture to the ingredients. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18, 602–605.
32. J Salmerón , JE Manson , MJ Stampfer (1997) Dietary fiber, glycemic load, and risk of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in women. JAMA 277, 472–477.
33. J Salmerón , A Ascherio , EB Rimm (1997) Dietary fiber, glycemic load, and risk of NIDDM in men. Diabetes Care 20, 545–550.
43. L Qi , RM van Dam , S Liu (2006) Whole-grain, bran, and cereal fiber intakes and markers of systemic inflammation in diabetic women. Diabetes Care 29, 207–211.
44. DR Jacobs Jr, L Marquart , J Slavin (1998) Whole-grain intake and cancer: an expanded review and meta-analysis. Nutr Cancer 30, 85–96.
45. L Chatenoud , A Tavani , C La Vecchia (1998) Whole-grain food intake and cancer risk. Int J Cancer 77, 24–28.
46. SC Larsson , E Giovannucci , L Bergkvist (2005) Whole grain consumption and risk of colorectal cancer: a population-based cohort of 60 000 women. BJC 92, 1803–1807.
47. P Terry , J Lagergren , W Ye (2001) Inverse association between intake of cereal fiber and risk of gastric cardia cancer. Gastroenterology 120, 387–391.
48. CM Kasum , DR Jacobs Jr, K Nicodemus (2002) Dietary risk factors for upper aerodigestive tract cancers. Int J Cancer 99, 267–272.
49. CM Kasum , K Nicodemus , LJ Harnack (2001) Whole grain intake and incident endometrial cancer: the Iowa Women's Health Study. Nutr Cancer 39, 180–186.
54. HG Mulholland , LJ Murray , CR Cardwell (2009) Glycemic index, glycemic load, and risk of digestive tract neoplasms: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 568–576.
55. SP Borriello , KD Setchell , M Axelson (1985) Production and metabolism of lignans by the human faecal flora. J Applied Bact 58, 37–43.
56. H Adlercreutz , T Fotsis , C Bannwart (1986) Urinary estrogen profile determination in young Finnish vegetarian and omnivorous women. J Steroid Biochem 24, 289–296.
58. DR Jacobs Jr, MA Pereira , K Stumpf (2002) Whole grain food intake elevates serum enterolactone. Br J Nutr 88, 111–116.
59. M Vanharanta , S Voutilainen , TH Rissanen (2003) Risk of cardiovascular disease-related and all-cause death according to serum concentrations of enterolactone. Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study. Arch Inter Med 163, 1099–1104.
60. JA Marlett , MI McBurney & JL Slavin (2002) Position of the American Dietetic Association: health implications of dietary fiber. J Am Diet Ass 102, 993–1000.