Some Universals in Language Usage
This study is about the principles for constructing polite speeches. The core of it first appeared in Questions and Politeness, edited by Esther N. Goody (now out of print). It is here reissued with a fresh introduction that surveys the considerable literature in linguistics, psychology and the social sciences that the original extended essay stimulated, and suggests distinct directions for research. The authors describe and account for some remarkable parallelisms in the linguistic construction of utterances with which people express…
- Add bookmark
About the book
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511813085
- Series Studies in Interactional Sociolinguistics (4)
- Subjects Anthropology,Language and Linguistics,Linguistic Anthropology,Sociolinguistics and Language in Society
- Format: Paperback
- Publication date: 27 February 1987
- ISBN: 9780521313551
- Dimensions (mm): 216 x 138 mm
- Weight: 0.426kg
- Contains: 8 b/w illus. 3 tables
- Page extent: 358 pages
- Availability: Available
- Format: Digital
- Publication date: 28 May 2018
- ISBN: 9780511813085
Review the options below to login to check your access.
Log in with your Cambridge Higher Education account to check access.
There are no purchase options available for this title.
Have an access code?
To redeem an access code, please log in with your personal login.
If you believe you should have access to this content, please contact your institutional librarian or consult our FAQ page for further information about accessing our content.