By accessing or using our Site you confirm that you have read, understood and accept these Terms and that you agree to comply with them. If you do not agree to these Terms, please do not use or access (or continue to use or access) the Site. You are responsible for bringing these Terms to the attention of anyone who may read material on this Site as a result of your access to it.
If you are below the age of sixteen (16) years of age, please obtain the permission of your parent or guardian before using our Site.
Accessing our Services and our Content
Parts of our Site are available to browse free of charge, whilst some content is only available to those who have paid for, or have otherwise been permitted, access to it.
Please note that the usage terms, purchase terms, and privacy policies of various Cambridge University Press products and services within this Site or linked to this Site may be subject to more specific terms and policies. Please check those terms and policies frequently to determine the terms applicable to such products and services. If there is a conflict between those more specific terms and conditions and these Terms, then the more specific terms and conditions will apply.
Changes to these Terms
We may revise these Terms at any time by amending this page.
Please check this page from time to time as any such changes are binding on you. Your continued use of our Site shall be deemed to constitute your agreement to any such changes.
We may update our Site from time to time, and may change the content at any time. All content on our Site is provided for general information only.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our Site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our Site is accurate, complete, up-to-date or free from errors or omissions. We do not guarantee that our Site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
We do not guarantee that our Site, or any part of it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our Site is permitted on a temporary and as is basis. We may suspend or change all or any part of our Site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our Site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
Intellectual Property Rights
We are the owner or licensee of the intellectual property rights on our Site and in the content, materials and logos published on it. The content is protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
All content in the form published on our Site is copyright © Cambridge University Press or published by us under licence from the copyright holder.
Except where it is otherwise indicated as acceptable on the Site, you may not reproduce, modify, adapt, post, transmit, copy, make available or distribute or otherwise use any of the content on this Site without our prior written permission. Any use made of such content may be an infringement of rights in that content and we reserve all rights to enforce such rights.
You may read, view, print and (where permitted) listen to and download the contents of an individual page for private and personal non-commercial use only provided that all copyright, trade mark and other proprietary notices contained in the materials on any copy of these materials is retained, but you may not make more than one copy electronically or otherwise of any of the contents and you may not recopy or further distribute, sell, publish or transmit any part of the material by electronic or any other means. You agree not to sell, resell, supply or otherwise make the content contained on the Site or extracts or other information derived therefrom available in any manner or on any media to any third party without tour prior written consent.
Where you have registered on our Site and have been provided with a username and password, you agree to keep confidential your logins, username and/or password, and to be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from use of your password by a third party.
If there has been a disclosure of your username and/or password, you agree to notify us promptly of such disclosure, so that we can take appropriate security measures and provide you with a new username and password.
We have the right to suspend or terminate access to our Site at any time, if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with, or are in breach of, any of the provisions of these Terms.
Use of the Site by Minors
The use of our Site by minors (below the age of sixteen (16) years of age) is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian.
We advise parents who permit their children to use the Site that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online. Minors who are using the Site should be made aware of the potential risks to them and of their obligation to comply with these Terms.
You may use the Site only for lawful purposes.
If you access any part of our Site you agree that you will not use the Site:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- in such a way that disrupts, interferes with or restricts the use of the Site by other users;
- to transmit or procure the sending of any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (‘spam’);
- to transmit knowingly any data, or send or upload any material, that contains viruses, trojans, worms or any other computer code, programs or files designed to destroy, interrupt or limit the functionality of any computer, computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- to gain unauthorised access to our Site, the server on which our Site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our Site.
You must ensure that any materials uploaded, displayed or transmitted by you through or to the Site are not false, offensive, defamatory, threatening, obscene or unlawful and do not breach or infringe the rights of any person anywhere in the world.
Uploading Content to our Site
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our Site, or to make contact with other users of our Site, you must comply with the ‘Permitted Uses’ set out above.
We have the right to remove any posting you make on our Site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with these Terms.
Some of the pages of the Site may contain message boards, bulletin boards, chat pages or other forums in which users are able to post messages for viewing by others. The Press does not edit or monitor the content of any such pages and, subject to what is said below, do not have any knowledge of any of the activities or information carried on in, or contained within, such pages.
If you become aware that any posted material on those pages or any activities carried out on those pages are offensive, unlawful or infringe any third party rights in any way please send an appropriately worded message to us by email using this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. We shall then act expeditiously to remove any such material or to disable access to the information.
Users are able to post comments on Cambridge Core Blog provided that:
All content / comments uploaded must:
- be accurate (where it states facts)
- be genuinely held (where it states opinions)
- comply with any applicable laws, including in any country from which it is posted
- be relevant.
Users shall not upload content / comments which:
- includes promotional materials or transmits any ‘junk mail’ ‘spam’ or ‘chain letters’ or any other form of solicitation for goods or services;
- you do not have the right to upload under any law or under any other obligatory relationship;
- infringes any intellectual property right including without limitation patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any other person;
- is defamatory, libellous, unlawful, threatening or harmful, abusive, harassing, obscene, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- is likely to reasonably harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- impersonates any person, or misrepresents your identity or affiliation with any person;
- gives the impression that the content / comment emanates from Cambridge University Press if this is not the case;
- discloses the name, address, telephone, mobile or fax number, e-mail address or any other personal data in respect of any individual;
- contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- breaches any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or duty of confidence;
- is in contempt of court;
- advocates, promotes or incites any third party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act.
Whilst the Cambridge Core Blog is subject to some moderation, Cambridge University Press will not be responsible as author, editor or publisher of any material included on the Cambridge Core Blog and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of the material by any person
Limitation of Our Liability
We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with use of, or inability to use our Site or use of or reliance on any content displayed on our Site.
To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to our Site or any content on it, whether express or implied.
However, nothing in these Terms excludes or limits our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, or our fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited by English law.
In the event that an individual wishes to complain about material included on the Cambridge Core Blog, it should report the material to us at the following address: email@example.com.
Any such complaint should include the following details:
- Name and email address of the individual reporting the infringement
- The nature of the infringement (copyright infringement, obscene or abusive content, defamation, etc.)
- A hyperlink and reference number (where applicable) to the content in question
- Confirmation that in the case of someone reporting a copyright infringement, you are the copyright holder or are authorised to act on the copyright holder’s behalf.
We will review complaints promptly and will inform you of the outcome of our review within a reasonable time of receiving your complaint.
Linking to Our Site
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
If you wish to make any use of Content on our site other than that set out above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Party Links
Where our Site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only.
We have no control over and do not endorse the contents of those sites or resources.
“Cambridge”, “Cambridge University Press” and other names of products or services are registered trademarks in certain countries worldwide. No use of these or any other trademarks may be made except for the purpose of referring to the Press or its associated brands lawfully and in good faith only.
These Terms, any contract that incorporates them, and any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with them or their formation are governed by English law. We both agree that the courts of England will have exclusive jurisdiction.
In the event of any comments or questions concerning these Terms, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by writing to Cambridge University Press, University Printing House, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge, CB2 8BS, UK.
Thank you for visiting our Site.
Last Updated: October 2016