- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: March 2008
- Print publication year: 1994
- Online ISBN: 9781139054690
- Book DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CHOL9780521301053
Volume I of The Cambridge History of American Literature was originally published in 1997, and covers the colonial and early national periods and discusses the work of a diverse assemblage of authors, from Renaissance explorers and Puritan theocrats to Revolutionary pamphleteers and poets and novelists of the new republic. Addressing those characteristics that render the texts distinctively American while placing the literature in an international perspective, the contributors offer a compelling new evaluation of both the literary importance of early American history and the historical value of early American literature.
This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
* Views captured on Cambridge Core between September 2016 - 25th May 2017. This data will be updated every 24 hours.