- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: October 2009
- Print publication year: 2005
- Online ISBN: 9780511526367
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511526367
The lectures in this 2005 book are intended to bring young researchers to the current frontier of knowledge in geometrical mechanics and dynamical systems. They succinctly cover an unparalleled range of topics from the basic concepts of symplectic and Poisson geometry, through integrable systems, KAM theory, fluid dynamics, and symmetric bifurcation theory. The lectures are based on summer schools for graduate students and postdocs and provide complementary and contrasting viewpoints of key topics: the authors cut through an overwhelming amount of literature to show young mathematicians how to get to the core of the various subjects and thereby enable them to embark on research careers.