This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. R Elango , R Ball , P. Pencharz Amino acid requirements in humans: with a special emphasis on the metabolic availability of amino acids. Amino Acids 2009;37:19–27.
2. KA Shaw , J Turner , C. Del Mar Tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002;1:Art No CD003198.
6. SN. Young Some effects of dietary components (amino acids, carbohydrate, folic acid) on brain serotonin synthesis, mood, and behavior. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1991;69:893–903.
7. W Merens , AJ Willem Van der Does , P. Spinhoven The effects of serotonin manipulations on emotional information processing and mood. J Affect Disord 2007;103:43–62.
8. CR Markus , G Panhuysen , A Tuiten , H Koppeschaar , D Fekkes , ML. Peters Does carbohydrate-rich, protein-poor food prevent a deterioration of mood and cognitive performance of stress-prone subjects when subjected to a stressful task? Appetite 1998;31:49–65.
11. U Schweiger , R Laessle , S Kittl , B Dickhaut , M Schweiger , KM. Pirke Macronutrient intake, plasma large neutral amino acids and mood during weight-reducing diets. J Neural Transm 1986;67:77–86.
12. DM Dougherty , DM Marsh-Richard , CW Mathias Comparison of 50- and 100-g L-tryptophan depletion and loading formulations for altering 5-HT synthesis: pharmacokinetics, side effects, and mood states. Psychopharmacology 2008;198:431–445.
13. L Booij , W Merens , CR Markus , AJ. Van der Does Diet rich in alpha-lactalbumin improves memory in unmedicated recovered depressed patients and matched controls. J Psychopharmacol 2006;20:526–535.
14. C Firk , CR. Markus Mood and cortisol responses following tryptophan-rich hydrolyzed protein and acute stress in healthy subjects with high and low cognitive reactivity to depression. Clin Nutr 2009;28:266–271.
16. JW Beulens , JG Bindels , GC De , MS Alles , W. Wouters-Wesseling Alpha-lactalbumin combined with a regular diet increases plasma Trp-LNAA ratio. Physiol Behav 2004;81:585–593.
17. SE Murphy , C Longhitano , RE Ayres , PJ Cowen , CJ. Harmer Tryptophan supplementation induces a positive bias in the processing of emotional material in healthy female volunteers. Psychopharmacology 2006;187:121–130.
18. FA Moreno , CA McGahuey , MP Freeman , PL. Delgado Sex differences in depressive response during monoamine depletions in remitted depressive subjects. J Clin Psychiatry 2006;67:1618–1623.
19. CR Markus , C Firk , C Gerhardt , J Kloek , GF. Smolders Effect of different tryptophan sources on amino acids availability to the brain and mood in healthy volunteers. Psychopharmacology 2008;201:107–114.
20. RJ Porter , AJ Phipps , P Gallagher , A Scott , PS Stevenson , JT. O'Brien Effects of acute tryptophan depletion on mood and cognitive functioning in older recovered depressed subjects. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2005;13:607–615.
21. FA Moreno , GR Heninger , CA McGahuey , PL. Delgado Tryptophan depletion and risk of depression relapse: a prospective study of tryptophan depletion as a potential predictor of depressive episodes. Biol Psychiatry 2000;48:327–329.
22. L Booij , DW Van der , C Benkelfat Predictors of mood response to acute tryptophan depletion. A reanalysis. Neuropsychopharmacology 2002;27:852–861.
23. T Klaassen , WJ Riedel , SA Van , NE Deutz , A Honig , HM. van Praag Mood effects of 24-hour tryptophan depletion in healthy first-degree relatives of patients with affective disorders. Biol Psychiatry 1999;46:489–497.
24. L Booij , AJ Van der Does , PM Haffmans , WJ. Riedel Acute tryptophan depletion in depressed patients treated with a selective serotonin-noradrenalin reuptake inhibitor: augmentation of antidepressant response? J Affect Disord 2005;86:305–311.
25. PL Delgado , LH Price , HL Miller Serotonin and the neurobiology of depression. Effects of tryptophan depletion in drug-free depressed patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1994;51:865–874.
26. JP Roiser , J Levy , SJ Fromm The effects of tryptophan depletion on neural responses to emotional words in remitted depression. Biol Psychiatry 2009;66:441–450.
27. E Blomstrand , K Møller , NH Secher , L. Nybo Effect of carbohydrate ingestion on brain exchange of amino acids during sustained exercise in human subjects. Acta Physiol Scand 2005;185:203–209.
28. N Praschak-Rieder , AA Wilson , D Hussey Effects of tryptophan depletion on the serotonin transporter in healthy humans. Biol Psychiatry 2005;58:825–830.
29. S Nishizawa , C Benkelfat , SN Young Differences between males and females in rates of serotonin synthesis in human brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1997;94:5308–5313.
30. RM Salomon , JS Kennedy , BW Johnson Association of a critical CSF tryptophan threshold level with depressive relapse. Neuropsychopharmacology 2003;28:956–960.
31. SD Hood , CJ Bell , DJ. Nutt Acute tryptophan depletion. Part I: rationale and methodology. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2005;39:558–564.
32. CJ Bell , SD Hood , DJ. Nutt Acute tryptophan depletion. Part II: clinical effects and implications. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2005;39:565–574.
33. R Hakkarainen , T Partonen , J Haukka , J Virtamo , D Albanes , J. Lonnqvist Association of dietary amino acids with low mood. Depress Anxiety 2003;18:89–94.
34. CR. Markus Effects of carbohydrates on brain tryptophan availability and stress performance. Biol Psychol 2007;76:83–90.
67. PDP Leathwood P. Pollet Diet-induced mood changes in normal populations. J Psychiatr Res 1982;17:147–154.
68. CM Forrest , GM Mackay , N Stoy Tryptophan loading induces oxidative stress. Free Radic Res 2004;38: 1167–1171.
69. OJ Robinson , BJ. Sahakian Acute tryptophan depletion evokes negative mood in healthy females who have previously experienced concurrent negative mood and tryptophan depletion. Psychopharmacology 2009;205:227–235.