Hostname: page-component-848d4c4894-4hhp2 Total loading time: 0 Render date: 2024-05-23T12:07:20.543Z Has data issue: false hasContentIssue false

Excavation and Survey at St Patrick's Chapel and St Peter's Church, Heysham, Lancashire, 1977–8

Published online by Cambridge University Press:  21 April 2011

Summary

This paper reports excavations in 1977 and 1978 at the chapel and adjoining cemetery of St Patrick's, Heysham, and an architectural survey of the nearby church of St Peter's. The chapel initially comprised a single-celled, stone-built structure, plastered inside and out. Associated with it were pieces of painted plaster, two bearing letters, and, in all probability, a stone carved with a bird's head, perhaps of late seventh- to late eighth-century date. The chapel was subsequently enlarged. One burial included a bone comb of Anglo-Scandinavian type, and calibrated radiocarbon dates for three skeletons range between AD 960 and 1185.

This report was submitted for publication in March 1992.

Type
Research Article
Copyright
Copyright © The Society of Antiquaries of London 1994

Access options

Get access to the full version of this content by using one of the access options below. (Log in options will check for institutional or personal access. Content may require purchase if you do not have access.)

References

Alexander, J. J. G. 1978. Insular Manuscripts, Sixth to Ninth Centuries, LondonGoogle Scholar
Ambrosiani, K. 1981. Viking Age Combs, Comb Making and Comb Makers in the Light of Finds from Birka and Ribe, Stockholm Stud. Archaeol., 2, StockholmGoogle Scholar
Ayscough, S. and Caley, J. (eds.) 1802. Taxatio Ecclesiasticus, Record Commission, LondonGoogle Scholar
Baart, J., et al. 1977. Opravingen in Amsterdam. 20 jaar Stadskemonderzoek, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
Bailey, R. N. 1977a. ‘A cup-mount from Brougham, Cumbria’, Medieval Archaeol., 21, 176–80Google Scholar
Bailey, R. N. 1977b. ‘The meaning of the Viking-Age shaft at Dacre’, Trans. Cumberland Westmorland Antiq. Archaeol. Soc., new ser., 77, 6174Google Scholar
Bailey, R. N. 1980. Viking Age Sculpture in Northern England, LondonGoogle Scholar
Bailey, R. N. and Cramp, R. J. 1988. Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, 11, Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Baldwin Brown, G. 1903. The Arts of Early England, 6 vols., The Life of Saxon England in Its Relation to the Arts, LondonGoogle Scholar
Baldwin Brown, G. 1925. The Arts of Early England. Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 2nd edition, LondonGoogle Scholar
Bersu, G. and Wilson, D. M. 1966. Three Viking Graves in the Isle of Man, Soc. Medieval Archaeol. Monograph, 1, LondonGoogle Scholar
Biddle, M. and Kjølbye-Biddle, B. 1990. ‘Painted wall plaster from the Old and New Minsters in Winchester’ in Cather, Park and Williamson 1990a, 41–4Google Scholar
Blindheim, M. 1984. ‘A house-shaped Irish-Scots reliquary in Bologna and its place among the other reliquaries’, Acta Archaeologia, 55, 153Google Scholar
Brothwell, D. R. 1981. Digging Up Bones, 3rd edition, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Browne, G. F. 1887. ‘Pre-Norman sculptured stones in Lancashire’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc, 5, 118Google Scholar
Bruce-Mitford, R. L. S. 1978. The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, 11, LondonGoogle Scholar
Buʼlock, J. D. 1967. ‘The pre-Norman churches of Old Heysham’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc, 77, 30–7Google Scholar
Butler, L. A. S. 1980. ‘The churchyard in eastern England, AD 900–1100: some lines of development’, in Anglo-Saxon Cemeteries 1979 (eds. P. Rahtz, T. Dickinson and L. Watts), Brit. Archaeol. Rep. Brit. Ser., 82, 383–9, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Cabrol, F. and Leclercq, H. 1907–53. Dictionnaire d';Archéologie Chrétienne et de Liturgie, 30 vols., ParisGoogle Scholar
Caley, J. and Hunter, J. (eds.) 1834. Valor Ecclesiasticus, 6 vols., Record Commission, 9, LondonGoogle Scholar
Cal. Fine Rolls 1926. Calendar of Fine Rolls: Richard II, ix, A.D. 1377–83, P.R.O., LondonGoogle Scholar
Cameron, M. A. S., Jones, R. E. and Philippakis, S. E. 1977, ‘scientific analyses of Minoan fresco samples from Knossos, Ann. Brit. School Athens, 72, 121–84CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Cather, S., Park, D. and Williamson, P. (eds.) 1990a. Early Medieval Wall Painting and Painted Sculpture in England, Brit. Archaeol. Rep. Brit. Ser., 216, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Cather, S., Park, D. and Williamson, P., 1990b. ‘Introduction’ in Cather, Park and Williamson 1990a, iiixxiGoogle Scholar
Cherry, B. 1976. ‘Ecclesiastical architecture’ in The Archaeology of the Anglo-Saxons (ed. Wilson, D. M.), 151200, LondonGoogle Scholar
Collingwood, W. G. 1927. Northumbrian Crosses, LondonGoogle Scholar
Cowen, J. D. 1948. ‘Viking burials in Cumbria’, Trans. Cumberland Westmorland Antiq. Archaeol. Soc., new ser., 48, 73–6Google Scholar
Craddock, P. T. 1989. ‘Metalworking techniques’ in Youngs 1989, 170213Google Scholar
Craig, D. forthcoming. ‘The distribution of pre-Norman sculpture in South-West Scotland’, Ph.D. thesis, University of DurhamGoogle Scholar
Cramp, R. J. 1970. ‘The position of the Otley crosses in English sculpture of the eighth to ninth centuries’ in Kolloquium über spätantike und frühmittelalterliche Skulptur (ed. Milojcic, V.), 11, 5563, MainzGoogle Scholar
Cramp, R. J., 1984. Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, 1, County Durham and Northumberland, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Cramp, R. J., 1986. ‘The furnishing and sculptural decoration of Anglo-Saxon churches’ in Papers on History, Architecture and Archaeology in Honour of Dr H. M. Taylor (eds. Butler, L.A.S. and Morris, R. K.), C.B.A. Res. Rep., 60, 1–4, LondonGoogle Scholar
Cramp, R. J. and Cronyn, J. 1990. ‘Anglo-Saxon polychrome plaster and other materials from the excavations of Monkwearmouth and Jarrow: an interim report’ in Cather, Park and Williamson 1990a, 1730Google Scholar
Crawford, H. J. 1914. ‘Finial stones’, J. Roy. Soc. Antiq. Ireland, 44, 171–2Google Scholar
Cutts, E. L. 1849. A Manual for the Study of the Sepulchral Slabs and Crosses of the Middle Ages, LondonGoogle Scholar
Daniell, W. and Ayton, R. 1810. A Voyage Round Great BritainGoogle Scholar
Domesday. 1783. Domesday Book, Record Commission, LondonGoogle Scholar
Edwards, B. J. N. 1969. ‘The Claughton Viking burial’, Trans. Hist. Soc. Lanes. Cheshire, 121, 109–16Google Scholar
Edwards, B. J. N., 1976. Lancashire Archaeol. Bull., 2.6, 128–9Google Scholar
Edwards, B. J. N., 1987. ‘Heysham—a note on the rock-cut graves’, Lancashire Archaeol. Bull., 11.4Google Scholar
Ekwall, E. 1922. The Placenames of Lancashire, ManchesterGoogle Scholar
Farrer, W. and Brownbill, J. 1906, 1908, 1914. The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, i (1906), (1908), viii (1914), 8 vols., LondonGoogle Scholar
Fernie, E. 1983. The Architecture of the Anglo-Saxons, LondonGoogle Scholar
Grafton, E. M. 1903–4. ‘some notes on Heysham church and parish’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Hist. Soc., new ser., 19–20, 150–62Google Scholar
Grafton, E. M., 1909. ‘Heysham’ in Memorials of Old Lancashire, 2 vols. (H. Fishwickand P. H. Ditchfield), 11, 211–27, LondonGoogle Scholar
Graham-Campbell, J. 1980. ‘The Scandinavian Viking-Age burials of England—some problems of interpretation’ in Anglo-Saxon Cemeteries igyg (eds. Rahtz, P., Dickinson, T. and Watts, L.), Brit. Archaeol. Rep. Brit. Ser., 82, 379–83, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Haddan, A. W. and Stubbs, W. 1871. Councils and Ecclesiastical Documents Relating to Great Britain and Ireland, iii, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Hall, R. A. 1981. ‘Markets of the Danelaw’ in The Vikings in England (eds. Roesdahl, E. et al. ), 95140, LondonGoogle Scholar
Harbison, P. 1970. ‘How old is Gallarus oratory? A reappraisal of its role in early Irish architecture’, Medieval Archaeol., 14, 3459CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Hatch, J. et al. (eds.). 1909. Morecambe and Lancaster District, LondonGoogle Scholar
Heighway, C. M. 1990. ‘Painted plaster and sculpture from the tenth-century New Minster of St Oswald at Gloucester’ in Cather, Park and Williamson 1990a, 7988Google Scholar
Higgitt, J. 1990. ‘Anglo-Saxon lettering at St Patrick's Chapel, Heysham’ in Cather, Park and Williamson 1990, 3140Google Scholar
Higgitt, J., 1991. ‘Note on capitals’ in Lang 1991, 47CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Hogarth, F. Whewell, 1934. A History of Heysham, MorecambeGoogle Scholar
Jones, G. D. B. and Shotter, D. C. A. (eds.) 1988. Roman Lancaster, Brigantia Monograph, i, ManchesterGoogle Scholar
Kendrick, T. D. 1938. ‘The Claughton Hall brooches’, Saga Book of the Viking Society, 11, 117–24Google Scholar
Kühn, H. 1968. ‘Lead-tin yellow’, Stud. Conservation, 13, 733Google Scholar
Lang, J. T. 1984. ‘The hogback: a Viking colonial movement’ in Anglo-Saxon Studies in Archaeology and History iii, 85176, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Lang, J. T., 1991. Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, iii, York and Eastern Yorkshire, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Leask, H. G. 1955. Irish Churches and Monastic Buildings: 1, The First Phases and the Romanesque, DundalkGoogle Scholar
Lees, T. 1891. ‘An attempt to interpret the meaning of the carvings on certain stones in the churchyard of Heysham’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc., 9, 3848Google Scholar
MacGregor, A. 1978. ‘Industry and commerce in Anglo-Scandinavian York’ in Viking Age York and the North (ed. Hall, R. A.), C.B.A. Res. Rep., 27, 3757, LondonGoogle Scholar
Mathew, D. J. A. 1962. The Norman Monasteries and their English Possessions, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Micklethwaite, J. T. 1898. ‘some further notes on Saxon churches’, Archaeol. J., 45, 348–9Google Scholar
Nicholson, J. H. 1891. ‘The sculptured stones at Heysham, Lancashire’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc., 9, 30–8Google Scholar
Oakley, G. E. 1979. ‘The worked bone’ in St Peter's Street, Northampton. Excavations 1973–1976 (ed. Williams, J.), Northampton Development Corporation Archaeol. Monograph, 2, 308–18Google Scholar
Okasha, E. 1968. ‘The non-runic scripts of Anglo-Saxon inscriptions’, Trans. Cambridge Bibliographical Soc., 4, 321–38Google Scholar
Okasha, E., 1971. A Hand-List of Anglo-Saxon Non-Runic Inscriptions, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
Oswald, A. 1975. Clay Pipes for the Archaeologist, Brit. Archaeol. Rep. Brit. Ser., 14, OxfordGoogle Scholar
Potter, T. W. 1979. Romans in North-West England, KendalGoogle Scholar
Romilly Allen, J. 1886. ‘Pre-Norman crosses at Halton and Heysham in Lancashire’, J. Brit. Archaeol. Assoc, 42, 328–44CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Roper, W. O. (ed.) 18921906. Materials for the History of the Church of Lancaster, 4 vols., Chetham Soc, 26, 31, 58, 59, ManchesterGoogle Scholar
Rot. Parl. 1767–77. Rotuli Parliamentorum; ut et petitiones, et placita in parliamento iv, 6 vols., LondonGoogle Scholar
Round, J. H. (ed.) 1899. Calendar of Documents Preserved in France, i, 9181206, Public Records Office, Researches in Foreign Archives, LondonGoogle Scholar
Simpson, R. 1852. The History and Antiquities of the Town of Lancaster, LancasterGoogle Scholar
Stevenson, R. B. K. 1974. ‘The Hunterston brooch and its significance’, Medieval Archaeol., 18, 1642CrossRefGoogle Scholar
T.C.W.A.A.S. 1923. ‘Proceedings’, Trans. Cumberland Westmorland Antiq. Archaeol. Soc., new ser., 23, 288Google Scholar
T.L.C.A.S. 1928. ‘Proceedings of the Society during 1928. 15 September. Lancaster and Heysham’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc., 451, 192–4Google Scholar
Taylor, H. 1903. ‘Ancient crosses of Lancaster’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc., 21, 8995Google Scholar
Taylor, H., 1906. Ancient Crosses and Holy Wells of Lancashire, ManchesterGoogle Scholar
Taylor, H. M. 1978. Anglo-Saxon Architecture, iii, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
Taylor, H. M. and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 2 vols., CambridgeGoogle Scholar
Thomas, C. 1971. The Early Christian Archaeology of North Britain, GlasgowGoogle Scholar
Tomlinson, E. S. A. n.d. A Guide to Heysham, MorecambeGoogle Scholar
Trotter, M. and Gleser, G. C. 1952. ‘Estimation of stature from long bones of American whites and negroes’, Amer. J. Physical Anthropol., 10, 463514CrossRefGoogle ScholarPubMed
Trotter, M. and Gleser, G. C., 1958. ‘A re-evaluation of estimation based on measurements of stature taken during life, and of long bones after death’, Amer. J. Physical Anthropol., 16, 79123CrossRefGoogle ScholarPubMed
Tupling, G. H. 1948. ‘The pre-Conquest and Norman churches of Lancashire’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc., 60, 128Google Scholar
Vanderzee, G. (ed.), 1807. Nonarum Inquisitiones, Record Commission, 3, Public Record Office, LondonGoogle Scholar
Volbach, W. F. and Hirmer, M. 1961. Early Christian Art, LondonGoogle Scholar
Wainwright, F. T. 1945–6. ‘The Scandinavians in Lancashire’, Trans. Lancashire Cheshire Antiq. Soc., 58, 71116Google Scholar
Waterman, D. M. 1959. ‘Late Saxon, Viking and early medieval finds from York’, Archaeologia, 97, 59105CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Webster, L. and Backhouse, J. (eds.) 1991. The Making of England, LondonGoogle Scholar
Welander, R. D. E., Batey, C. and Cowie, T. G. 1987. ‘A Viking burial from Kneep, Uig, Isle of Lewis’, Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scotland, 117, 149–74CrossRefGoogle Scholar
White, A. 1990. Lancaster: A Pictorial History, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
Whitaker, T. D. 1823. A History of Richmondshire, 2 vols., LondonGoogle Scholar
Wilson, D. M. 1967. ‘The Vikings' relationship with Christianity in northern England’, J.Brit. Archaeol. Assoc., 3rd ser., 30, 3746CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Wilson, D. M., 1976, ‘The Scandinavians in England’ in The Archaeology of Anglo-Saxon England (ed. D. M. Wilson), 393403Google Scholar
Youngs, S. (ed.) 1989. The Work of Angels, LondonGoogle Scholar