This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. A Jemal , R Siegel , E Ward , Cancer statistics, 2008. CA Cancer J Clin 2008; 58: 71–96.
2. SG Diab , RM Elledge , GM Clark . Tumor characteristics and clinical outcome of elderly women with breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000; 92: 550–556.
3. K Holli , J Isola . Effect of age on the survival of breast cancer patients. Eur J Cancer 1997; 33: 425–428.
4. I Jatoi , BE Chen , WF Anderson , PS Rosenberg . Breast cancer mortality trends in the United States according to estrogen receptor status and age at diagnosis. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 1683–1690.
5.Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials. Lancet 2005; 365: 1687–1717.
6. WB Sateren , EL Trimble , J Abrams , How sociodemographics, presence of oncology specialists, and hospital cancer programs affect accrual to cancer treatment trials. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20: 2109–2117.
7. LF Hutchins , JM Unger , JJ Crowley , CA Jr Coltman , KS Albain . Underrepresentation of patients 65 years of age or older in cancer-treatment trials. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 2061–2067.
8. HB Muss , S Woolf , D Berry , Adjuvant chemotherapy in older and younger women with lymph node-positive breast cancer. JAMA 2005; 293: 1073–1081.
9. SH Giordano , Z Duan , YF Kuo , GN Hortobagyi , JS Goodwin . Use and outcomes of adjuvant chemotherapy in older women with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 2750–2756.
10. HB Muss , DA Berry , C Cirrincione , Toxicity of older and younger patients treated with adjuvant chemotherapy for node-positive breast cancer: the Cancer and Leukemia Group B Experience. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 3699–3704.
11. MC Pinder , Z Duan , JS Goodwin , GN Hortobagyi , SH Giordano . Congestive heart failure in older women treated with adjuvant anthracycline chemotherapy for breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 3808–3815.
12. DA Patt , Z Duan , S Fang , GN Hortobagyi , SH Giordano . Acute myeloid leukemia after adjuvant breast cancer therapy in older women: understanding risk. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 3871–3876.
15. CM Perou , T Sorlie , MB Eisen , Molecular portraits of human breast tumours. Nature 2000; 406: 747–752.
16. S Paik , S Shak , G Tang , A multigene assay to predict recurrence of tamoxifen-treated, node-negative breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2817–2826.
17. S Paik , G Tang , S Shak , Gene expression and benefit of chemotherapy in women with node-negative, estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 3726–3734.
18. EH Romond , EA Perez , J Bryant , Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for operable HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1673–1684.
19. MJ Piccart-Gebhart , M Procter , B Leyland-Jones , Trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1659–1672.
20. EA Perez , VJ Suman , NE Davidson , Cardiac safety analysis of doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel with or without trastuzumab in the North Central Cancer Treatment Group N9831 adjuvant breast cancer trial. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 1231–1238.
21. ML Telli , SA Hunt , RW Carlson , AE Guardino . Trastuzumab-related cardiotoxicity: calling into question the concept of reversibility. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 3525–3533.
23. SE Jones , MA Savin , FA Holmes , Phase III trial comparing doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide with docetaxel plus cyclophosphamide as adjuvant therapy for operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5381–5387.
24. DA Berry , C Cirrincione , IC Henderson , Estrogen-receptor status and outcomes of modern chemotherapy for patients with node-positive breast cancer. JAMA 2006; 295: 1658–1667.
25. DF Hayes , AD Thor , LG Dressler , HER2 and response to paclitaxel in node-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 1496–1506.
27. EB Elkin , A Hurria , N Mitra , D Schrag , KS Panageas . Adjuvant chemotherapy and survival in older women with hormone receptor-negative breast cancer: assessing outcome in a population-based, observational cohort. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 2757–2764.
29. MM Kemeny , BL Peterson , AB Kornblith , Barriers to clinical trial participation by older women with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2003; 21: 2268–2275.
30. D Saliba , M Elliott , LZ Rubenstein , The Vulnerable Elders Survey: a tool for identifying vulnerable older people in the community. J Am Geriatr Soc 2001; 49: 1691–1699.
31. A Hurria , S Gupta , M Zauderer , Developing a cancer-specific geriatric assessment: a feasibility study. Cancer 2005; 104: 1998–2005.
32. MB Rodin , SG Mohile . A practical approach to geriatric assessment in oncology. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 1936–1944.
34. H Wildiers , I Kunkler , L Biganzoli , Management of breast cancer in elderly individuals: recommendations of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology. Lancet Oncol 2007; 8: 1101–1115.
35. D Crivellari , M Aapro , R Leonard , Breast cancer in the elderly. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 1882–1890.
36. L Biganzoli , M Aapro , L Balducci , D Crivellari , A Minisini , M Piccart . Adjuvant therapy in elderly patients with breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer 2004; 5: 188–195.