This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DJ Cook , CD Mulrow , RB Haynes . Systematic reviews: synthesis of best evidence for clinical decisions. Ann Intern Med 1997; 126:376–80.
2. AD Oxman , DJ Cook , GH Guyatt . Users’ guide to the medical literature. VI. How to use an overview. JAMA 1994;272:1367–71.
3. FA McAlister , HD Clark , C van Walraven , SE Straus , FME Lawson , D Moher , CD Mulrow . The medical review article revisited: Has the science improved? Ann Intern Med 1999;131:947–51.
4. O Olsen , P Middleton , J Ezzo , PC Gotzsche , V Hadhazy , A Herxheimer , et al. Quality of Cochrane reviews: assessment of sample from 1998. BMJ 2001;323:829–32.
5. KD Kelly , A Travers , M Dorgan , L Slater , BH Rowe . Evaluating the quality of systematic reviews in the emergency medicine literature. Ann Emerg Med 2001;38:518–26.
6. RJ Vissers , RB Abu-Laban , DF McHugh . Amylase and lipase in the emergency department evaluation of acute pancreatitis. J Emerg Med 1999;17:1027–37.
7. EM Antman , J Lau , B Kupelnick , F Mosteller , TC Chalmers . A comparison of results of meta-analyses of randomized control trials and recommendations of clinical experts. Treatments for myocardial infarction. JAMA 1992;268:240–8.
9. HS Sacks , J Berrier , D Reitman , VA Ancona-Berk , TC Chalmers . Meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials. N Engl J Med 1987;316:450–5.
11. R Peto . Why do we need systematic overviews of randomized trials? Stat Med 1987;6:233–44.
12. M Egger , GD Smith , DG Altman , editors. Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context. 2nd ed. BMJ Publishing Group: London (UK); 2001.
13. DL Hunt , KA McKibbon . Locating and appraising systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med 1997;126:532–8.
14. SD Emond , PC Wyer , MD Brown , WH Cordell , CH Spooner , BH Rowe . How relevant are the systematic reviews in the cochrane library to emergency medical practice? Ann Emerg Med 2002;39;153–8.
15. C Counsell . Formulating questions and locating primary studies for inclusion in systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med 1997;127: 380–7.
16. CJ Corrall , PC Wyer , LS Zick , CR Bockrath . Evidence-based emergency medicine. How to find evidence when you need it, part 1: databases, search programs, and strategies. Ann Emerg Med 2002;39:302–6.
17. MO Meade , S Richardson . Selecting and appraising studies for systematic review. Ann Intern Med 1997;127:531–7.
21. PE Gallagher , TY Allen , PC Wyer . How to find evidence when you need it, part 3: a clinician’s guide to MEDLINE: tricks and special skills. Ann Emerg Med 2002;39:547–51.
22. K Dickerson , R Scherer , C Lefebvre . Identifying relevant studies for systematic reviews. BMJ 1994;309:1286–91.
23. J Langham , E Thompson , K Rowan . Identification of randomized controlled trials from the emergency medicine literature: comparison of hand searching versus MEDLINE searching. Ann Emerg Med 1999;34:25–34.