1. NCD-Risk Factor Collaboration. Worldwide trends in body-mass index, underweight, overweight, and obesity from 1975 to 2016: a pooled analysis of 2416 population-based measurement studies in 128·9 million children, adolescents, and adults. The Lancet 2017; 390: 16–19.
2. Blom, EH, Olsson, EMG, Serlachius, E, Ericson, M, Ingvar, M. Heart rate variability is related to self-reported physical activity in a healthy adolescent population. Euro J Appl Physiol 2009; 106: 877–883.
3. Francica, JV, Bigongiari, A, Mochizuki, L, et al. Cardiac autonomic dysfunction in chronic stroke women is attenuated after submaximal exercise test, as evaluated by linear and nonlinear analysis. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2015; 15: 105.
4. Albert, CM, Mittleman, MA, Chae, CU, Lee, IM, Hennekens, CH, Manson, JE. Triggering of sudden death from cardiac causes by vigorous exertion. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 1355–1361.
5. Vanderlei, LC, Pastre, CM, Hoshi, RA, Carvalho, TD, Godoy, MF. Basic notions of heart rate variability and its clinical applicability. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2009; 24: 205–217.
6. Camm, AJ, Malik, M, Bigger, JT, et al. Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Circulation 1996; 93: 1043–1065.
7. Barbosa, MP, da Silva, NT, de Azevedo, FM, Pastre, CM, Vanderlei, LC. Comparison of Polar® RS800G3™ heart rate monitor with Polar® S810i™ and electrocardiogram to obtain the series of RR intervals and analysis of heart rate variability at rest. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 2016; 36: 112–117.
8. Tarvainen, MP, Niskanen, JP, Lipponen, JA, Ranta-aho, PO, Karjalainen, PA. Kubios HRV – heart rate variability analysis software. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2014; 113: 210–220.
9. Quintana, DS. Statistical considerations for reporting and planning heart rate variability case-control studies. Psychophysiology 2017; 54: 344–349.
10. Ricci-Vitor, AL, Rossi, FE, Hirai, PM, et al. Effects of a multidisciplinary program on the autonomic modulation of overweight and obese children and adolescents. J Hum Growth Dev 2016; 26: 154–161.
11. Vanderlei, LCM, Pastre, CM, Freitas Júnior, IF, Godoy, MF. Analysis of cardiac autonomic modulation in obese and eutrophic children. Clinics 2010; 65: 789–792.
12. Cho, YH, Craig, ME, Jopling, T, Chan, A, Donaghue, KC. Higher body mass index predicts cardiac autonomic dysfunction: a longitudinal study in adolescent type 1 diabetes. Pediatr Diabetes 2018; 19: 794–800.
13. Parish, RC, Todman, S, Jain, SK. Resting heart rate variability, inflammation, and insulin resistance in overweight and obese adolescents. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 2016; 14: 291–297.
14. Silvetti, MS, Drago, F, Ragonese, P. Heart rate variability in healthy children and adolescents is partially related to age and gender. Int J Cardiol 2001; 81: 169–174.
15. Freitas, IMG, Miranda, JA, Mira, PAC, Lanna, CMM, Lima, JRP, Laterza, MC. Cardiac autonomic dysfunction in obese normotensive children and adolescents. Rev Paul Pediatr 2014; 32: 244–249.
16. Jezdimirovic, T, Stajer, V, Semeredi, S, Calleja-Gonzalez, J, Ostojic, SM. Does body fat percentage predict post-exercise heart rate response in non-obese children and adolescents? J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2017; 30: 629–633.
17. Eijsvogels, TMH, Fernandez, AB, Thompson, PD. Are there deleterious cardiac effects of acute and chronic endurance exercise? Physiol Rev 2016; 96: 99–125.
18. Rossi, RC, Vanderlei, LCM, Gonçalves, ACCR, et al. Impact of obesity on autonomic modulation, heart rate and blood pressure in obese young people. Auton Neurosci 2015; 193: 138–141.
19. Friendemann, C, Heneghan, C, Mahtani, K, Thompson, M, Perera, R, Ward, AM. Cardiovascular disease risk in healthy children and its association with body mass index: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2012; 345: e4759.
20. Meleleo, D, Bartolomeo, N, Cassano, L, et al. Evaluation of body composition with bioimpedance. A comparison between athletic and non-athletic children. Eur J Sport Sci 2017; 17: 710–719.
21. Price, C, Cohen, D, Pribis, P, Cerami, J. Nutrition education and body mass index in grades K-12: a systematic review. J Sch Health 2017; 87: 715–720.
22. Miguel-Berges, ML, Reilly, JJ, Moreno Aznar, LA, Jiménez-Pavón, D. Associations between pedometer-determined physical activity and adiposity in children and adolescents: systematic review. Clin J Sport Med 2018; 28: 64–75.