1. Hadj, A, Pepe, S, Rosenfeldt, F. The clinical application of metabolic therapy for cardiovascular disease. Heart Lung Circ 2007; 16 (Suppl): S56–S64.
2. Singh, U, Devaraj, S, Jialal, I. Coenzyme Q10 supplementation and heart failure. Nutr Rev 2007; 65: 286–293.
3. Bhagavan, HN, Chopra, RK. Potential role of ubiquinone (coenzyme Q10) in pediatric cardiomyopathy. Clin Nutr 2005; 24: 331–338.
4. Langsjoen, PH, Vadhanavikit, S, Folkers, K. Response of patients in classes III and IV of cardiomyopathy to therapy in a blind and crossover trial with coenzyme 10. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1985; 82: 4240–4244.
5. Poggesi, L, Galanti, G, Comeglio, M, Toncelli, L, Vinci, M. Effect of coenzyme Q10 on left ventricular function in patients with dilative cardiomyopathy. Current Therapeutic Research 1991; 49: 878–886.
6. Permanetter, B, Rossy, W, Klein, G, Weingartner, F, Seidl, KF, Blomer, H. Ubiquinone (coenzyme q10) in the long-term treatment of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 1992; 13: 1528–1533.
7. Munkholm, H, Hansen, HHT, Rasmussen, K. Coenzyme Q10 treatment in serious heart failure. BioFactors 1999; 9: 285–289.
8. Watson, PS, Scalia, GM, Galbraith, A, Burstow, DJ, Bett, N, Aroney, CN. Lack of effect of coenzyme Q on left ventricular function in patients with congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Card 1999; 33: 1549–1552.
9. Keogh, A, Fenton, S, Leslie, C, et al. Randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of coenzyme Q10 therapy in class II and III systolic heart failure. Heart Lung Circ 2003; 12: 135–141.
10. Elshershari, H, Ozer, S, Ozkutlu, S, Ozme, S. Potential usefulness of coenzyme Q10 in the treatment of idiopathic dilated cardomyopathy in children. Int J Cardiol 2003; 88: 101–102.
11. Soongswang, J, Sangtawesin, C, Durongpisitkul, K, et al. The effect of coenzyme Q10 on idiopathic chronic dilated cardiomyopathy in children. Pediatr Cardiol 2005; 26: 361–366.
12. Richardson, P, McKenna, W, Bristow, M, et al. Report of the 1995 World Health Organization/International Society and Federation of Cardiology Task Force on the Definition and Classification of Cardiomyopathies. Circulation 1996; 93: 841–842.
13. Connolly, D, Rutkowski, M, Auslender, M, Artman, M. The New York University Pediatric Heart Failure Index: A new method of quantifying chronic heart failure severity in children. J Pediatr 2001; 138: 644–648.
14. O’Leary, PW. Pediatric diastology: use and limitations of Doppler echocardiography in the evaluation of ventricular diastolic function in children. Prog Pediatr Cardiol 1999; 10: 83–93.
15. O’Leary, PW, Durongpisitkul, K, Cordes, TM, et al. Diastolic ventricular function in children: a Doppler echocardiographic study establishing normal values and predictors of increased ventricular end-diastolic pressure. Mayo Clin Proc 1998; 73: 616–628.
16. Tei, C, Ling, LH, Hodge, DO, et al. New index of combined systolic and diastolic myocardial performance: a simple and reproducible measure of cardiac function – a study in normals and dilated cardiomyopathy. J Cardiol 1995; 26: 357–366.
17. Colan, SD, Parness, IA, Spevak, PJ, Sanders, SP. Developmental modulation of myocardial mechanics: age and growth-related alterations in afterload and contractility. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992; 19: 619–629.
18. Tissières, P, Aggoun, Y, Da Cruz, E, et al. Comparison of classifications for heart failure in children undergoing valvular surgery. J Pediatr 2006; 149: 210–215.
19. Little, WC, Cheng, C-P. Diastolic dysfunction. Cardiol Rev 1998; 6: 231–239.
20. Vivekananthan, K, Kalapura, T, Mehra, M, et al. Usefulness of the combined index of systolic and diastolic myocardial performance to identify cardiac allograft rejection. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90: 517–520.
21. Peltier, M, Slama, M, Garbi, S, Enriquez-Sarano, ML, Goissen, T, Tribouilloy, CM. Prognostic value of Doppler-derived myocardial performance index in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90: 1261–1263.
22. Redfield, MM, Jacobsen, SJ, JrBurnett, JC, Mahoney, DW, Bailey, KR, Rodeheffer, RJ. Burden of systolic and diastolic ventricular dysfunction in the community: appreciating the scope of the heart failure epidemic. JAMA 2003; 289: 194–202.
23. Fischer, M, Baessler, A, Hense, HW, et al. Prevalence of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in the community: results from a Doppler echocardiographic-based survey of a population sample. Eur Heart J 2003; 24: 320–328.
24. Zile, MR, Brutsaert, DL. New concepts in diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure: Part II: causal mechanisms and treatment. Circulation 2002; 105: 1503–1508.
25. Auslender, M. Pathophysiology of pediatric heart failure. Prog Pediatr Cardiol 2002; 11: 175–184.
26. Bhagavan, HN, Chopra, RK. Coenzyme Q10: absorption, tissue uptake, metabolism and pharmacokinetics. Free Radic Res 2006; 40: 445–453.
27. Silver, MA, Langsjoen, PH, Szabo, S, Patil, H, Zelinger, A. Effect of Atorvastatin on left ventricular diastolic function and ability of coenzyme Q10 to reverse that dysfunction. Am J Cardiol 2004; 94: 1306–1310.
28. Langsjoen, PH, Langsjoen, PH, Folkers, K. Isolated diastolic dysfunction of the myocardium and its response to CoQ10 treatment. Clin Invest 1993; 71 (Suppl): S140–S144.
29. Oda, T. Recovery of load-induced left ventricular diastolic dysfunction by coenzyme Q10: echocardiographic study. Mol Aspects Med 1994; 15 (Suppl): S149–S154.
30. Lönnrot, K, Pörsti, I, Alho, H, Wu, X, Hervonen, A, Tolvanen, JP. Control of arterial tone after long-term coenzyme Q10 supplementation in senescent rats. Br J Pharmacol 1998; 124: 1500–1506.
31. Belardinelli, R, Tiano, L, Littarru, GP. Oxidative stress, endothelial function and coenzyme Q10. Biofactors 2008; 32: 129–133.
32. Tiano, L, Belardinelli, R, Carnevali, P, Principi, F, Seddaiu, G, Littarru, GP. Effect of coenzyme Q10 administration on endothelial function and extracellular superoxide dismutase in patients with ischaemic heart disease: a double-blind, randomized controlled study. Eur Heart J 2007; 28: 2249–2255.
33. Grodecki, PV, Klein, AL. Pitfalls in the echo-Doppler assessment of diastolic dysfunction. Echocardiography 1993; 10: 213–234.