This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. JP Parker , Z Li , CL Darnberg , B Danielsen , D Carlisle . Administrative versus clinical data for coronary artery bypass graft surgery report cards: the view from California. Med Care 2006; 44: 687–695.
6. ER DeLong , ED Peterson , DM DeLong , LH Muhlbaier , S Hackett , DB Mark . Comparing risk-adjustment methods for provider profiling. Stat Med 1997; 16: 2645–2664.
7. DM Shahian , T Silverstein , AF Lovett , RE Wolf , SLT Normand . Comparison of clinical and administrative data sources for hospital coronary artery bypass graft surgery report cards. Circulation 2007; 115: 1518–1527.
8. LI Iezzoni . Assessing quality using administrative data. Ann Intern Med 1997; 127: 666–674.
9. MJ Mack , M Herbert , S Prince , TM Dewey , MJ Magee , JR Edgerton . Does reporting of coronary artery bypass grafting from administrative databases accurately reflect actual clinical outcomes? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005; 129: 1309–1317.
10. CE Cronk , ME Malloy , AN Pelech , Completeness of state administrative databases for surveillance of congenital heart disease. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Tetratol 2003; 67: 597–603.
11. BK Frohnert , RC Lussky , MA Alms . Validity of hospital discharge data for identifying infants with cardiac defects. J Perinatol 2005; 25: 727–742.
12. EVA Finlayson , JD Birkmeyer , TA Stukel , AE Siewers , FL Lucas , DE Wennberg . Adjusting surgical mortality rates for patient comorbidities: more harm than good? Surgery 2002; 132: 787–794.
13. PS Romano . Asking too much of administrative data? J Am Coll Surg 2003; 196: 337–338.
14. WG Williams . Surgical outcomes in congenital heart disease: expectations and realities. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2005; 27: 937–944.
15. WG Williams , BW McCrindle . Practical experience with databases for congenital heart disease: a registry versus an academic database. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2002; 5: 132–142.
16. S Gallivan , J Stark , C Pagel , G Williams , WG Williams . Dead reckoning: can we trust estimates of mortality rates in clinical databases? Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 33: 334–340.
17. JP Jacobs , C Mavroudis , ML Jacobs , What is operative mortality? Defining death in a surgical registry database: A report from the STS Congenital Database Task Force and the Joint EACTS-STS Congenital Database Committee. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 81: 1937–1941.
18. DA Ashburn , BW McCrindle , CI Tchervenkov , Outcomes after the Norwood operation in neonates with critical aortic stenosis or aortic valve atresia. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 125: 1070–1082.
19. KF Welke , ED Peterson , MS Vaughn-Sarrazin , Comparison of cardiac surgery volumes and mortality rates between the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and Medicare databases from 1993 through 2001. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84: 1538–1546.
20. C Ugolini , L Nobilio . Risk adjustment for coronary artery bypass graft surgery: an administrative approach versus EuroSCORE. Int J for Qual in Health Care 2004; 16: 157–164.
22. KF Welke , I Shen , RM Ungerleider . Current assessment of mortality rates in congenital cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 82: 164–171.
23. KJ Jenkins , K Gauvreau , JW Newburger , TL Spray , JH Moller , LI Iezzoni . Consensus-based method for risk adjustment for surgery for congenital heart disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002; 123: 110–118.