This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
PA Heidenreich , JG Trogdon , OA Khavjou , et al. Forecasting the future of cardiovascular disease in the United States: a policy statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation
2011; 123: 933–944.
2. AS Flynt , EC Lai . Biological principles of microRNA-mediated regulation: shared themes amid diversity. Nat Rev Genet 2008; 9: 831–842.
3. R Rota , R Ciarapica , A Giordano , L Miele , F Locatelli . MicroRNAs in rhabdomyosarcoma: pathogenetic implications and translational potentiality. Mol Cancer 2011; 10: 120.
5. DP Bartel . MicroRNAs: target recognition and regulatory functions. Cell 2009; 136: 215–233.
8. P Khairy , R Ionescu-Ittu , AS Mackie , M Abrahamowicz , L Pilote , AJ Marelli . Changing mortality in congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 56: 1149–1157.
KN Ivey , A Muth , J Arnold , et al. MicroRNA regulation of cell lineages in mouse and human embryonic stem cells. Cell stem cell
2008; 2: 219–229.
Y Zhao , E Samal , D Srivastava . Serum response factor regulates a muscle-specific microRNA that targets hand2 during cardiogenesis. Nature
2005; 436: 214–220.
15. JF Chen , EM Mandel , JM Thomson , et al. The role of microRNA-1 and microRNA-133 in skeletal muscle proliferation and differentiation. Nat Genet 2006; 38: 228–233.
17. JF Chen , EP Murchison , R Tang , et al. Targeted deletion of dicer in the heart leads to dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 2111–2116.
18. A Roberts , J Allanson , SK Jadico , et al. The cardiofaciocutaneous syndrome. J Med Genet 2006; 43: 833–842.
19. E Perez , KE Sullivan . Chromosome 22q11.2 deletion syndrome (DiGeorge and velocardiofacial syndromes). Curr Opin Pediatr 2002; 14: 678–683.
21. N Liu , AH Williams , Y Kim , et al. An intragenic mef2-dependent enhancer directs muscle-specific expression of microRNAs 1 and 133. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 20844–20849.
A Ventura , AG Young , MM Winslow , et al. Targeted deletion reveals essential and overlapping functions of the miR-17 through 92 family of miR clusters. Cell
2008; 132: 875–886.
24. T Thum , P Galuppo , C Wolf , et al. MicroRNAs in the human heart: a clue to fetal gene reprogramming in heart failure. Circulation 2007; 116: 258–267.
25. MM Goddeeris , S Rho , A Petiet , et al. Intracardiac septation requires hedgehog-dependent cellular contributions from outside the heart. Development 2008; 135: 1887–1895.
M de Onis , M Blossner , E Borghi . Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among preschool children. Am J Clin Nutr
2010; 92: 1257–1264.
35. C Akgun , M Dogan , S Akbayram , et al. The incidence of asymptomatic hypertension in school children. J Nihon Med Sch 2010; 77: 160–165.
39. JL Baker , LW Olsen , TI Sorensen . Childhood body-mass index and the risk of coronary heart disease in adulthood. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 2329–2337.
H Xie , L Sun , HF Lodish . Targeting microRNAs in obesity. Expert Opin Ther Targets
2009; 13: 1227–1238.
42. L Qin , Y Chen , Y Niu , et al. A deep investigation into the adipogenesis mechanism: profile of microRNAs regulating adipogenesis by modulating the canonical wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway. BMC genomics 2010; 11: 320.
44. SY Kim , AY Kim , HW Lee , et al. Mir-27a is a negative regulator of adipocyte differentiation via suppressing ppargamma expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2010; 392: 323–328.
46. C Esau , X Kang , E Peralta , et al. MicroRNA-143 regulates adipocyte differentiation. J Biol Chem 2004; 279: 52361–52365.
M Karbiener , C Fischer , S Nowitsch , et al. MicroRNA miR-27b impairs human adipocyte differentiation and targets PPARgamma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun
2009; 390: 247–251.
M Trajkovski , J Hausser , J Soutschek , et al. MicroRNAs 103 and 107 regulate insulin sensitivity. Nature
2011; 474: 649–653.
52. T Wang , M Li , J Guan , et al. MicroRNAs miR-27a and miR-143 regulate porcine adipocyte lipid metabolism. Int J Mol Sci 2011; 12: 7950–7959.
53. M Kinoshita , K Ono , T Horie , et al. Regulation of adipocyte differentiation by activation of serotonin (5-ht) receptors 5-ht2ar and 5-ht2cr and involvement of microrna-448-mediated repression of klf5. Mol Endocrinol 2010; 24: 1978–1987.
57. M Terán-García , C Bouchard . Genetics of the metabolic syndrome. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2007; 32: 89–114.
58. MM Boucek , LB Edwards , BM Keck , EP Trulock , DO Taylor , MI Hertz . Registry for the international society for heart and lung transplantation: seventh official pediatric report–2004. J Heart Lung Transplant 2004; 23: 933–947.
59. JD Kay , SD Colan , TP Graham Jr. Congestive heart failure in pediatric patients. Am Heart J 2001; 142: 923–928.
60. AJ Tijsen , YM Pinto , EE Creemers . Non-cardiomyocyte microRNAs in heart failure. Cardiovasc Res 2012; 93: 573–582.
62. G Mathonnet , MR Fabian , YV Svitkin , et al. MicroRNA inhibition of translation initiation in vitro by targeting the cap-binding complex eIF4F. Science 2007; 317: 1764–1767.
63. SJ Matkovich , DJ Van Booven , KA Youker , et al. Reciprocal regulation of myocardial microRNAs and messenger RNA in human cardiomyopathy and reversal of the microRNA signature by biomechanical support. Circulation 2009; 119: 1263–1271.
65. A Ernst , B Campos , J Meier , et al. De-repression of CTGF via the miR-17-92 cluster upon differentiation of human glioblastoma spheroid cultures. Oncogene 2010; 29: 3411–3422.
66. MW Schellings , D Vanhoutte , GC van Almen , et al. Syndecan-1 amplifies angiotensin ii-induced cardiac fibrosis. Hypertension 2010; 55: 249–256.
70. S Reddy , M Zhao , DQ Hu , et al. Dynamic microRNA expression during the transition from right ventricular hypertrophy to failure. Physiol Genomics 2012; 44: 562–575.
71. R Kumarswamy , AR Lyon , I Volkmann , et al. SERCA2a gene therapy restores microRNA-1 expression in heart failure via an Akt/FoxO3A-dependent pathway. Eur Heart J 2012; 33: 1067–1075.
72. S Ikeda , A He , SW Kong , et al. MicroRNA-1 negatively regulates expression of the hypertrophy-associated calmodulin and Mef2a genes. Mol Cell Biol 2009; 29: 2193–2204.
73. X Luo , H Lin , Z Pan , et al. Down-regulation of miR-1/miR-133 contributes to re-expression of pacemaker channel genes HCN2 and HCN4 in hypertrophic heart. J Biol Chem 2008; 283: 20045–20052.
A Care , D Catalucci , F Felicetti , et al. MicroRNA-133 controls cardiac hypertrophy. Nat Med
2007; 13: 613–618.
HF Xu , YJ Ding , YW Shen , et al. MicroRNA-1 represses Cx43 expression in viral myocarditis. Mol Cell Biochem
2012; 362: 141–148.
MF Corsten , A Papageorgiou , W Verhesen , et al. MicroRNA profiling identifies microRNA-155 as an adverse mediator of cardiac injury and dysfunction during acute viral myocarditis. Circ Res
2012; 111: 415–425.
JA Jansen , TA van Veen , JM de Bakker , HV van Rijen . Cardiac connexins and impulse propagation. J Mol Cell Cardiol
2010; 48: 76–82.
PK Rao , Y Toyama , HR Chiang , et al. Loss of cardiac microRNA-mediated regulation leads to dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure. Circ Res
2009; 105: 585–594.
83. E van Rooij , LB Sutherland , N Liu , et al. A signature pattern of stress-responsive microRNAs that can evoke cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 18255–18260.
86. M Palacin , JR Reguero , M Martin , et al. Profile of microRNAs differentially produced in hearts from patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and sarcomeric mutations. Clin Chem 2011; 57: 1614–1616.
MM Massin , A Benatar , G Rondia . Epidemiology and outcome of tachyarrhythmias in tertiary pediatric cardiac centers. Cardiology
2008; 111: 191–196.
93. G Serwer . Ventricular arrhythmia in children: diagnosis and management. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2008; 10: 442–4427.
94. AS Amin , JR Giudicessi , AJ Tijsen , et al. Variants in the 3′ untranslated region of the KCNQ1-encoded Kv7.1 potassium channel modify disease severity in patients with type 1 long QT syndrome in an allele-specific manner. Eur Heart J 2012; 33: 714–723.
96. B Yang , H Lin , J Xiao , et al. The muscle-specific microRNA miR-1 regulates cardiac arrhythmogenic potential by targeting GJA1 and KCNJ2. Nat Med 2007; 13: 486–491.
98. Z Yu , S Han , P Hu , et al. Potential role of maternal serum microRNAs as a biomarker for fetal congenital heart defects. Med Hypotheses 2011; 76: 424–426.
100. J Xu , Z Hu , Z Xu , et al. Functional variant in microRNA-196a2 contributes to the susceptibility of congenital heart disease in a Chinese population. Hum Mutat 2009; 30: 1231–1236.
104. M Hoekstra , CA van der Lans , B Halvorsen , et al. The peripheral blood mononuclear cell microRNA signature of coronary artery disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2010; 394: 792–797.
A Davalos , L Goedeke , P Smibert , et al. miR-33a/b contribute to the regulation of fatty acid metabolism and insulin signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A
2011; 108: 9232–9237.
109. C Esau , S Davis , SF Murray , et al. miR-122 regulation of lipid metabolism revealed by in vivo antisense targeting. Cell Metab 2006; 3: 87–98.
110. ED Rosen , OA MacDougald . Adipocyte differentiation from the inside out. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2006; 7: 885–896.
113. R Mishra , K Vijayan , EJ Colletti , et al. Characterization and functionality of cardiac progenitor cells in congenital heart patients. Circulation 2011; 123: 364–373.
114. SK Mallanna , A Rizzino . Emerging roles of micrornas in the control of embryonic stem cells and the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells. Dev Biol 2010; 344: 16–25.
115. L Gan , S Schwengberg , B Denecke . MicroRNA profiling during cardiomyocyte-specific differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells based on two different miR array platforms. PLoS One 2011; 6: e25809.
117. LC Laurent , J Chen , I Ulitsky , et al. Comprehensive microRNA profiling reveals a unique human embryonic stem cell signature dominated by a single seed sequence. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 1506–1516.
U Lakshmipathy , J Davila , RP Hart . miRNA in pluripotent stem cells. Regen Med
2010; 5: 545–555.
119. L Wei , M Wang , X Qu , et al. Differential expression of microRNAs during allograft rejection. Am J Transplant 2012; 12: 1113–1123.
121. EM Small , EN Olson . Pervasive roles of microRNAs in cardiovascular biology. Nature 2011; 469: 336–342.
122. SM Evans , A Moretti , KL Laugwitz . MicroRNAs in a cardiac loop: progenitor or myocyte? Dev Cell 2010; 19: 787–788.
123. NM Kane , L Howard , B Descamps , et al. Role of microRNAs 99b, 181a, and 181b in the differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to vascular endothelial cells. Stem Cells 2012; 30: 643–654.
JD Fu , SN Rushing , DK Lieu , et al. Distinct roles of microRNA-1 and -499 in ventricular specification and functional maturation of human embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes. PLoS One
2011; 6: e27417.
126. T Hosoda , H Zheng , M Cabral-da-Silva , et al. Human cardiac stem cell differentiation is regulated by a mircrine mechanism. Circulation 2011; 123: 1287–1296.