This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
6. SP McKenna , AI Glendon . Occupational first aid training: decay in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) skills. J Occup Psychol. 1985; 58: 109–117.
7. DS Bell , CE Harless , JK Higa , Knowledge retention after an online tutorial: a randomized educational experiment among resident physicians. J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 1164–1171.
8. D Davis , MA O'Brien , N Freemantle , FM Wolf , P Mazmanian , A Taylor-Vaisey . Impact of formal continuing medical education: do conferences, workshops, rounds and other traditional continuing education activities change physician behavior or health care outcomes? JAMA. 1999; 282: 867–874.
9. D Davis . Does CME work? An analysis of the effect of educational activities on physician performance or health care outcomes. Int J Psychiatry Med. 1998; 28: 21–39.
10. DA Davis , MA Thomson , AD Oxman , RM Haynes . Changing physicians performance: a systematic review of the effect of continuing medical education strategies. JAMA. 1995; 274: 700–705.
11. M Doucet , A Vrins , D Harvey . Effect of using an audience response system on learning environment, motivatin and long term retention, during case discussion in a large group of undergraduate veterinary clinical pharmacology students. Medical Teacher. 2009; 31: e570–e579.
15. VR Curran , L Fleet . A review of evaluation outcomes of web-based continuing medical education. Medical Education. 2005; 39: 561–567.
16. HM Sisti , AL Glass , RJ Shors . Neurogenesis and the spacing effect: learning over time enhances memory and the survival of new neurons. Learn Mem. 2007; 14: 368–375.
20. RD Fields . Making memories stick. Scientific American. 2005; 292: 74–81.
21. AM Glenberg and TS Lehmann . Spacing repetitions over 1 week. Mem Cognit. 1980; 8: 528–538.
22. TC Toppino , JE Kasserman , WA Mracek . The effect of spacing repetitions on the recognition memory of young children and adults. J Exp Child Psychol. 1991; 51: 123–138.
24. JD Karpicke , HL Roediger . The critical importance of retrieval for learning. Science. 2008; 319: 9668.
25. BC Storm , RA Bjork , JC Storm . Optimizing retrieval as a learning event: when and why expanding retrieval practice enhances long term retention. Mem Cognt. 2010; 38: 244–253.
26. H Pashler , D Horher , NJ Cepeda , SK Carpenter . Enhancing learning and retarding forgetting: choices and consequences. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review. 2007; 14: 187–193.
30. JD Sweatt . Experience-dependent epigenetic modifications in the central nervous system. Biol Psychiatry. 2009; 65: 191–197.
31. HA Cameron , RDG McKay . Adult neurogenesis produces a large pool of new granule cells in the dentate gyrus. J Comp Neurol. 2001; 435: 406–417.
32. R Strickgold , Sleep, learning and dreams: off line memory processing. Science. 2001; 294: 1052–1057.
33. L Marshall , J Born . The contribution of sleep to hippocampus dependent memory consolidation. Trend Cogn Sci. 2007; 11: 442–450.
34. P Maquet . The role of sleep in learning and memory. Science. 2001; 1048–1052.
35. JL Roegiger , JD Karpicke . Test enhanced learning, taking memory tests improves long term retention. Psychol Sci. 2005; 17: 249–255.
36. BC Johnson , MT Kiviniemi . The effect of online chapter quizzes on exam performance in an undergraduate social psychology course. Teach Psychol. 2009; 36: 33–37.
37. DA Cook , WG Thompson , KG Thomas , MR Thomas , VS Pankratz . Impact of self assessment questions and learning styles in web-based learning: a randomized, controlled crossover trial. Acad Med. 2006; 81: 231–238.
39. BP Kerfoot . Learning benefits of online spaced education persist for 2 years. J Urol. 2009; 181: 2671–2673.
40. BP Kerfoot , E Bortschi . Online spaced education to teach urology to medical students: a multi institutional randomized trial. Am J Surg. 2009; 197: 89–95.
41. GW Small , TD Moody , P Siddarth , SY Bookheimer . Your brain on google: patterns of cerebral activation during internet searching. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009; 17: 116–126.
42. D Wear . A perfect storm: the convergence of bullet points, competencies, and screen reading in medical education. Acad Medicine. 2009; 84: 1500–1504.