This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. G Polanczyk , MS de Lima , BL Horta , J Biederman , LA Rohde . The worldwide prevalence of ADHD: a systematic review and metaregression analysis. Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164(6): 942–948.
2. F Lopez-Munoz , C Alamo , FJ Quintero-Gutierrez , P Garcia-Garcia . A bibliometric study of international scientific productivity in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder covering the period 1980–2005. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008; 17(6): 381–391.
3. J Fayyad , R De Graaf , R Kessler , etal. Cross-national prevalence and correlates of adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Br J Psychiatry. 2007; 190: 402–409.
4. SV Faraone , J Biederman , E Mick . The age-dependent decline of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a meta-analysis of follow-up studies. Psychol Med. 2006; 36(2): 159–165.
5. V Simon , P Czobor , S Balint , A Meszaros , I Bitter . Prevalence and correlates of adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry. 2009; 194(3): 204–211.
6. RC Kessler , L Adler , R Barkley , etal. The prevalence and correlates of adult ADHD in the United States: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(4): 716–723.
7. SV Faraone , J Biederman . What is the prevalence of adult ADHD? Results of a population screen of 966 adults. J Atten Disord. 2005; 9(2): 384–391.
9. SV Faraone , J Biederman , C Roe . Comparative efficacy of Adderall and methylphenidate in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a meta-analysis. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2002; 22(5): 468–473.
10. SV Faraone , J Biederman . Efficacy of Adderall for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: a meta-analysis. J Atten Disord. 2002; 6(2): 69–75.
11. SV Faraone , J Buitelaar . Comparing the efficacy of stimulants for ADHD in children and adolescents using meta-analysis. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 19(4): 353–364.
12. DF Connor , KE Fletcher , JM Swanson . A meta-analysis of clonidine for symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999; 38(12): 1551–1559.
13. JY Cheng , RY Chen , JS Ko , EM Ng . Efficacy and safety of atomoxetine for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents-meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007; 194(2): 197–209.
14. PL Hazell , MR Kohn , R Dickson , etal. Core ADHD symptom improvement with atomoxetine versus methylphenidate: a direct comparison meta-analysis. J Atten Disord. 2011; 15(8): 674–683.
15. R Hanwella , M Senanayake , V de Silva . Comparative efficacy and acceptability of methylphenidate and atomoxetine in treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry. 2011; 11: 176.
18. A Majewicz-Hefley , JS Carlson . A meta-analysis of combined treatments for children diagnosed with ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2007; 10(3): 239–250.
19. S Van der Oord , PJ Prins , J Oosterlaan , PM Emmelkamp . Efficacy of methylphenidate, psychosocial treatments and their combination in school-aged children with ADHD: a meta-analysis. Clin Psychol Rev. 2008; 28(5): 783–800.
20. GA Fabiano , WE Pelham Jr, EK Coles , etal. A meta-analysis of behavioral treatments for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Clin Psychol Rev. 2009; 29(2): 129–140.
25. M Seixas , M Weiss , U Muller . Systematic review of national and international guidelines on attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Psychopharmacol. 2012; 26(6): 753–765.
27. DJ Nutt , K Fone , P Asherson , etal. Evidence-based guidelines for management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adolescents in transition to adult services and in adults: recommendations from the British Association for Psychopharmacology. J Psychopharmacol. 2007; 21(1): 10–41.
30.American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). ADHD: Clinical Practice Guideline for the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Children and Adolescents. Pediatrics. 2011; 128(5): 1007–1022.
31. S Pliszka . Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007; 46(7): 894–921.
32. SV Faraone , T Spencer , M Aleardi , C Pagano , J Biederman . Meta-analysis of the efficacy of methylphenidate for treating adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004; 24(1): 24–29.
33. N Maneeton , B Maneeton , M Srisurapanont , SD Martin . Bupropion for adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: meta-analysis of randomized, placebo-controlled trials. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2011; 65(7): 611–617.
34. W Verbeeck , S Tuinier , GE Bekkering . Antidepressants in the treatment of adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a systematic review. Adv Ther. 2009; 26(2): 170–184.
35. K Peterson , MS McDonagh , R Fu . Comparative benefits and harms of competing medications for adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a systematic review and indirect comparison meta-analysis. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2008; 197(1): 1–11.
37. A Meszaros , P Czobor , S Balint , etal. Pharmacotherapy of adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): a meta-analysis. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2009; 12(8): 1137–1147.
38. SV Faraone , SJ Glatt . A comparison of the efficacy of medications for adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder using meta-analysis of effect sizes. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71(6): 754–763.
39. F Linderkamp , G Lauth . The Efficacy of Pharmacological versus Psychotherapeutic Therapies in Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): An Empirical Meta-Analysis. Verhaltenstherapie. 2011; 21: 229–238.
40. M Michielsen , E Semeijn , HC Comijs , etal. Prevalence of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in older adults in The Netherlands. Br J Psychiatry. 2012.
42. SC Marcus , GJ Wan , JE Kemner , M Olfson . Continuity of methylphenidate treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159(6): 572–578.
43. AG Winterstein , T Gerhard , J Shuster , etal. Utilization of pharmacologic treatment in youths with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Medicaid database. Ann Pharmacother. 2008; 42(1): 24–31.
44. KA Lawson , M Johnsrud , P Hodgkins , R Sasane , ML Crismon . Utilization patterns of stimulants in ADHD in the Medicaid population: a retrospective analysis of data from the Texas Medicaid program. Clin Ther. 2012; 34(4): 944–956; e4.
45. SA Safren , S Sprich , MJ Mimiaga , etal. Cognitive behavioral therapy vs relaxation with educational support for medication-treated adults with ADHD and persistent symptoms: a randomized controlled trial. Jama. 2010; 304(8): 875–880.