This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. LL Judd , HS Akiskal , PJ Schettler , etal. Psychosocial disability in the course of bipolar I and II disorders: a prospective, comparative, longitudinal study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62(12): 1322–1330.
2. M Bauer , P Ritter , H Grunze , A Pfenning . Treatment options for acute depression in bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2012; 14(suppl 2): 37–50.
4. RM Post , KD Denicoff , GS Leverich , etal. Morbidity in 258 bipolar outpatients followed for 1 year with daily prospective ratings on the NIMH life chart method. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003; 64(6): 680–690.
5. LL Judd , PJ Schettler , HS Akiskal , etal. Residual symptom recovery from major affective episodes in bipolar disorders and rapid episode relapse/recurrence. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008; 65(4): 386–394.
6. J Angst , F Angst , R Gerber-Werder , A Gamma . Suicide in 406 mod-disorder patients with and without long-term medication: a 40 to 44 years’ follow-up. Arch Suicide Res. 2005; 9(3): 279–300.
7. AH Young , CB Nemeroff . Pharmacological treatment of bipolar depression. In: Yatham LN, Maj M, eds. Bipolar Disorder: Clinical and Neurobiological Foundations. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2010: 294–303.
8. E Vieta , F Colom , B Corbella , etal. Clinical correlates of psychiatric comorbidity in bipolar I patients. Bipolar Disord. 2001; 3(5): 253–258.
9. RMA Hirschfeld , L Lewis , LA Vornik . Perceptions and impact of bipolar disorder: how far have we really come? Results of the National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association 2000 survey of individuals with bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003; 64(2): 161–174.
11. RJ Baldessarini , E Vieta , JR Calabrese , etal. Bipolar depression: overview and commentary. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2010; 18(3): 143–157.
12. GB Cassano , HS Akiskal , M Savino , etal. Proposed subtypes of bipolar II disorder: with hypomanic episodes and/or with hyperthymic temperament. J Affect Disord. 1992; 26(2): 127–140.
13. HS Akiskal , JD Maser , PJ Zeller , etal. Switching from “unipolar” to bipolar II: an 11-year prospective study of clinical and temperamental predictors in 559 patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1995; 52(2): 114–123.
14. RH Perlis , E Brown , RW Baker , AA Nirenberg . Clinical features of bipolar depression vs. major depressive disorder in large multicenter trials. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(2): 225–231.
16. KR Merikangas , R Herrell , J Swendsen , etal. Specificity of bipolar spectrum conditions in the comorbidity of mood and substance use disorders: results from the Zurich cohort study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008; 65(1): 47–52.
17. RS El-Mallakh , SN Ghaemi , K Sagduyu , etal. STEP-BD Investigators. Antidepressant-associated chronic irritable dysphoria (ACID) in STEP-BD patients. J Affect Disord. 2008; 111(2–3): 372–377.
18. MA Frye , G Helleman , SL McElroy , etal. Correlates of treatment-emergent mania associated with antidepressant treatment in bipolar depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2009; 166(2): 164–172.
19. JK Rybakowski . Bipolarity and inadequate response to antidepressant drugs: clinical and psychopharmacological perspective. J Affect Disord. 2012; 136(1–2): e13–19.
20. A Constant , L Castera , R Dantzer , etal. Mood alterations during interferon-alfa therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C: evidence for an overlap between manic/hypomanic and depressive symptoms. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005; 66(8): 1050–1057.
21. MC Hardoy , M Cadeddu , A Serra , etal. A pattern of cerebral perfusion anomalies between major depressive disorder and Hashimoto thyroiditis. BMC Psychiatry. 2011; 11: 148–154.
22. GB Cassano , L Dell'Osso , E Frank , etal. The bipolar spectrum: a clinical reality in search of diagnostic criteria and an assessment methodology. J Affect Disord. 1999; 54(3): 319–328.
24. L Dell'Osso , A Armani , P Rucci , etal. Measuring mood spectrum: comparison of interview (SCI-MOODS) and self-report (MOODS-SR) instruments. Compr Psychiatry. 2002; 43(1): 69–73.
25. JF Goldberg , RH Perlis , CL Bowden , etal. Manic symptoms during depressive episodes in 1,380 patients with bipolar disorder: findings from the STEP-BD. Am J Psychiatry. 2009; 166(2): 173–181.
26. JF Goldberg , RH Perlis , SN Ghaemi , etal. Adjunctive antidepressant use and symptomatic recovery among bipolar depressed patients with concomitant manic symptoms: findings from the STEP-BD. Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164(9): 1348–1355.
28. GM Goodwin . Consensus Group of the British Association for Psychopharmacology. Evidence-based guidelines for treating bipolar disorder: revised second edition—recommendations from the British Association for Psychopharmacology Journal of Psychopharmacology. J Psychopharmacol. 2009; 23(4): 346–388.
30. LN Yatham , SH Kennedy , A Schaffer , etal. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) collaborative update of CANMAT guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: update 2009. Bipolar Disord. 2009; 11(3): 225–255.
31. H Grunze , E Vieta , GM Goodwin , etal. WFSBP task Force on treatment guidelines for bipolar disorders. The World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) guidelines for the biological treatment of bipolar disorders: update 2010 on the treatment of acute bipolar depression. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 11(2): 81–109.
32. AM Nivoli , F Colom , A Murru , etal. New treatment guidelines for acute bipolar depression: a systematic review. J Affect Disord. 2011; 129(1–3): 14–26.
33. JR Geddes , S Burgess , K Hawton , etal. Long-term lithium therapy for bipolar disorder: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161(2): 217–222.
34. AH Young , SL McElroy , M Bauer , etal. EMBOLDEN I (Trial 001) Investigators. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of quetiapine and lithium monotherapy in adults in the acute phase of bipolar depression (EMBOLDEN I). J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71(2): 150–162.
35. A Cipriani , H Pretty , K Hawton , JR Geddes . Lithium in the prevention of suicidal behavior and all-cause mortality in patients with mood disorders: a systematic review of randomized trials. Am J Psychiatry. 2005; 162(10): 1805–1819.
36. RJ Baldessarini , L Tondo , P Davis , etal. Decreased risk of suicides and attempts during long-term lithium treatment: a meta-analytic review. Bipolar Disord. 2006; 8(5 pt 2): 625–639.
37. HA Swartz , ME Thase . Pharmacotherapy for the treatment of acute bipolar II depression: current evidence. J Clin Psychiatry. 2011; 72(3): 356–366.
38. CL Bowden , V Singh . Lamotrigine (Lamictal IR) for the treatment of bipolar disorder. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2012; 13(17): 2565–2571.
39. JR Calabrese , RF Huffman , RL White , etal. Lamotrigine in the acute treatment of bipolar depression: results of five double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials. Bipolar Disord. 2008; 10(2): 323–333.
40. JR Geddes , JR Calabrese , GM Goodwin . Lamotrigine for treatment of bipolar depression: independent meta-analysis and meta-regression of individual patient data from five randomised trials. Br J Psychiatry. 2009; 194(1): 4–9.
41. JR Calabrese , CL Bowden , GS Sachs , etal. Double-blind placebo-controlled study of lamotrigine monotherapy in outpatients with bipolar I depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999; 60(2): 79–88.
42. ML van der Loos , PG Mulder , EG Hartong , etal. Efficacy and safety of lamotrigine as add-on treatment to lithium in bipolar depression: a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009; 70(2): 223–231.
43. AA Nierenberg , MJ Ostacher , JR Calabrese , etal. Treatment-resistant bipolar depression: a STEP-BD equipoise randomized effectiveness trial of antidepressant augmentation with lamotrigine, inositol, or risperidone. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(2): 210–216.
44. JR Calabrese , T Suppes , CL Bowden , etal. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, prophylaxis study of lamotrigine in rapid-cycling bipolar disorder: Lamictal 614 Study Group. J Clin Psychiatry. 2000; 61(11): 841–850.
45. GM Goodwin , CL Bowden , JR Calabrese , etal. A pooled analysis of 2 placebo-controlled 18-month trials of lamotrigine and lithium maintenance in bipolar I disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 65(3): 432–441.
47. LA Smith , VR Cornelius , JM Azorin , etal. Valproate for the treatment of acute bipolar depression: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Affect Disord. 2010; 122(1–2): 1–9.
48. CL Bowden , JR Calabrese , SL McElroy , etal. A randomized, placebo-controlled 12-month trial of divalproex and lithium in treatment of outpatients with bipolar I disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000; 57(5): 481–489.
50. W Greil , N Kleindienst , N Erazo , B Müller-Oerlinghausen . Differential response to lithium and carbamazepine in the prophylaxis of bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1998; 18(6): 455–460.
51. ME Thase , W Macfadden , RH Weisler , etal. Efficacy of quetiapine monotherapy in bipolar I and II depression: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study (the BOLDER II study). J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006; 26(6): 600–609.
52. RH Weisler , JR Calabrese , ME Thase , etal. Efficacy of quetiapine monotherapy for the treatment of depressive episodes in bipolar I disorder: a post-hoc analysis of combined results from two double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008; 69(5): 769–782.
53. T Suppes , E Vieta , S Liu , M Brecher , B Paulsson . Trial 127 Investigators. Maintenance treatment for patients with bipolar I disorder: results from a North American study of quetiapine in combination with lithium or divalproex (Trial 127). Am J Psychiatry. 2009; 166(4): 476–488.
54. SL McElroy , RH Weisler , W Chang , etal. EMBOLDEN II (Trial D1447C00134) Investigators. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of quetiapine and paroxetine as monotherapy in adults with bipolar depression (EMBOLDEN II). J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71(2): 163–174.
55. E Vieta , T Suppes , I Eggens , etal. Efficacy and safety of quetiapine in combination with lithium or divalproex for maintenance of patients with bipolar I disorder (international trial 126). J Affect Disord. 2008; 109(3): 251–263.
57. M Tohen , E Vieta , J Calabrese , etal. Efficacy of olanzapine and olanzapine-fluoxetine combination in the treatment of bipolar I depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60(11): 1079–1088.
58. EB Brown , SL Mcelroy , PE Keck Jr, etal. A 7 week, randomized, double-blind trial of olanzapine/fluoxetine combination versus lamotrigine in the treatment of bipolar I depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006; 67(7): 1025–1033.
59. M Tohen , JR Calabrese , GS Sachs , etal. Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of olanzapine as maintenance therapy in patients with bipolar I disorder responding to acute treatment with olanzapine. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(2): 247–256.
60. M Tohen , TA Ketter , CA Zarate , etal. Olanzapine versus divalproex sodium for the treatment of acute mania and maintenance of remission: a 47-week study. Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160(7): 1263–1271.
61. M Tohen , W Greil , JR Calabrese , etal. Olanzapine versus lithium in the maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder: 12-month, randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2005; 162(7): 1281–1290.
62. ME Thase , A Jonas , A Khan , etal. Aripiprazole monotherapy in nonpsychotic bipolar I depression: results of 2 randomized, placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008; 28(1): 13–20.
63. RN Marcus , RD McQuade , WH Carson , etal. The efficacy and safety of aripiprazole as adjunctive therapy in major depressive disorder: a second multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008; 28(2): 156–165.
64. PE Keck Jr, JR Calabrese , RS McIntyre , etal. Aripiprazole monotherapy for maintenance therapy in bipolar I disorder: a 100-week, double-blind study versus placebo. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007; 68(10): 1480–1491.
65. BI Yerevanian . The role of antidepressants in bipolar disorder. In: Akiskal HS, Tohen M, eds. Bipolar Psychopharmacotherapy: Caring for the Patient, 2nd ed.New York: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.; 2011: 299–316.
66. RJ Baldessarini , L Leahy , S Arcona , etal. Patterns of psychotropic drug prescription for U.S. patients with diagnoses of bipolar disorders. Psychiatr Serv. 2007; 58(1): 85–91.
67. MG Carta , E Aguglia , M Balestrieri , etal. The lifetime prevalence of bipolar disorders and the use of antidepressant drugs in bipolar depression in Italy. J Affect Disord. 2012; 136(3): 775–780.
68. GS Sachs , AA Nierenberg , JR Calabrese , etal. Effectiveness of adjunctive antidepressant treatment for bipolar depression. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356(17): 1711–1722.
69. SN Ghaemi , AP Wingo , MA Filkowski , etal. Effectiveness of long-term antidepressant treatment in bipolar disorder: meta-analysis of benefits and risks. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2008; 118(5): 347–356.
71. RW Licht , H Gijsman , WA Nolen , J Angst . Are antidepressants safe in the treatment of bipolar depression? A critical evaluation of their potential risk to induce switch into mania or cycle acceleration. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2008; 118(5): 337–346.
72. JD Amsterdam , J Shults . Comparison of fluoxetine, olanzapine, and combined fluoxetine plus olanzapine initial therapy of bipolar type I and type II major depression—lack of manic induction. J Affect Disord. 2005; 87(1): 121–130.
73. LL Altshuler , T Suppes , DO Black , etal. Lower switch rate in depressed patients with bipolar II than bipolar I disorder treated adjunctively with second-generation antidepressants. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163(2): 313–315.
74. JD Amsterdam , J Shults . Efficacy and mood conversion rate of short-term fluoxetine monotherapy of bipolar II major depressive episode. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010; 30(3): 306–311.
75. G Parker , L Tully , A Olley , D Hadzi-Pavlovic . SSRIs as mood stabilizers for bipolar II disorder? a proof of concept study. J Affect Disord. 2006; 92(2–3): 205–214.
76. JD Amsterdam , J Shults . Comparison of short-term venlafaxine versus lithium monotherapy for bipolar II major depressive episode: a randomized open-label study. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008; 28(2): 171–181.
77. HJ Gijsman , JR Geddes , JM Rendell , etal. Antidepressants for bipolar depression: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials. Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161(9): 1537–1547.
78. MM Sidor , GM MacQueen . Antidepressants for the acute treatment of bipolar depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Psychiatry. 2011; 72(2): 156–167.
80. RM Post , LL Altshuler , GS Leverich , etal. Mood switch in bipolar depression: comparison of adjunctive venlafaxine, bupropion and sertraline. Br J Psychiatry. 2006; 189: 124–131.
81. E Vieta , A Martinez-Arán , JM Goikolea , etal. A randomized trial comparing paroxetine and venlafaxine in the treatment of bipolar depressed patients taking mood stabilizers. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002; 63(6): 508–512.
82. L Tondo , G Vázquez , RJ Baldessarini . Mania associated with antidepressant treatment: comprehensive meta-analytic review. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2010; 121(6): 404–414.
83. J Undurraga , RJ Baldessarini , M Valenti , etal. Bipolar depression: clinical correlates of receiving antidepressants. J Affect Disord. 2012; 139(1): 89–93.
84. RT Joffe , GM MacQueen , M Marriott , LT Young . One-year outcome with antidepressants-treatment of bipolar depression. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2005; 112(2): 105–109.
85. LL Altshuler , RM Post , G Helleman , etal. Impact of antidepressants continuation after acute positive or partial treatment response for bipolar depression: a blinded, randomized study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009; 70(4): 450–457.
86. SN Ghaemi , MM Ostacher , RS El-Mallakh , etal. Antidepressant discontinuation in bipolar depression: a Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD) randomized clinical trial of long-term effectiveness and safety. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71(4): 372–380.
87. MA Frye , H Grunze , T Suppes , etal. A placebo-controlled evaluation of adjunctive modafinil in the treatment of bipolar depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164(8): 1242–1249.
88. JF Goldberg , KE Burdick , CJ Endick . Preliminary randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of pramipexole added to mood stabilizers for treatment-resistant bipolar depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161(3): 564–566.
89. CA Zarate Jr, JL Payne , J Singh , etal. Pramipexole for bipolar II depression: a placebo-controlled proof of concept study. Biol Psychiatry. 2004; 56(1): 54–60.
90. N Diazgranados , L Ibrahim , NE Brutsche , etal. A randomized add-on trial of N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist in treatment-resistant bipolar depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67(8): 793–802.
92. CA Zarate , NE Brutsche , L Ibrahim , etal. Replication of ketamine's antidepressant efficacy in bipolar depression: a randomized controlled add-on trial. Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 71(11): 939–946.
93. RB Lu , SL Chen , SY Lee , etal. Neuroprotective and neurogenesis agent for treating bipolar II disorder: add-on memantine to mood stabilizer works. Med Hypotheses. 2012; 79(2): 280–283.
94. S Frangou , M Lewis , P McCrone . Efficacy of ethyl-eicosapentaenoic acid in bipolar depression: randomised double-blind placebo-controlled study. Br J Psychiatry. 2006; 188: 46–50.
95. PE Keck Jr, J Mintz , SL McElroy , etal. Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of ethyl-eicosapentanoate in the treatment of bipolar depression and rapid cycling bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 60(9): 1020–1022.
96. DJ Miklowitz , MW Otto , E Frank , etal. Psychosocial treatments for bipolar depression: a 1-year randomized trial from the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007; 64(4): 419–426.
97. F Colom , E Vieta , A Martinez-Aran , etal. A randomized trial on the efficacy of group psychoeducation in the prophylaxis of recurrences in bipolar patients whose disease is in remission. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60(4): 402–407.
98. DH Lam , ER Watkins , P Hayward , etal. A randomized controlled study of cognitive therapy for relapse prevention for bipolar affective disorder: outcome of the first year. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60(2): 145–152.
99. J Scott , E Paykel , R Morriss , etal. Cognitive-behavioural therapy for severe and recurrent bipolar disorders: randomized controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry. 2006; 188: 313–320.
100. DJ Miklowitz , EL George , JA Richards , etal. A randomized study of family-focused psychoeducation and pharmacotherapy in the outpatient management of bipolar disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60(9): 904–912.
101. E Frank , DJ Kupfer , ME Thase , etal. Two-year outcomes for interpersonal and social rhythm therapy in individuals with bipolar I disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62(9): 996–1004.
102. E Frank , I Soreca , HA Swartz , etal. The role of interpersonal and social rhythm therapy in improving occupational functioning in patients with bipolar I disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2008; 165(12): 1559–1565.
103. B Dierckx , WT Heijnen , WW van den Broek , TK Birkenhäger . Efficacy of electroconvulsive therapy in bipolar versus unipolar major depression: a meta-analysis. Bipolar Disord. 2012; 14(2): 146–150.
104. L Grunhaus , S Schreiber , OT Dolberg , etal. Response to ECT in major depression: are there differences between unipolar and bipolar depression? Bipolar Disord. 2002; 4(suppl 1): 91–93.
105. P Medda , G Perugi , S Zanello , etal. Response to ECT in bipolar I, bipolar II and unipolar depression. J Affect Disord. 2009; 118(1–3): 55–59.
106. C Blanco , G Laje , M Olfson , etal. Trends in the treatment of bipolar disorder by outpatient psychiatrists. Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159(6): 1005–1010.
107. A Koukopoulos , MJ Albert , G Sani , AE Koukopoulos . Mixed depressive states: nosologic and therapeutic issues. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2005; 17(1): 21–37.
108. S Krüger , LT Young , P Bräunig . Pharmacotherapy of bipolar mixed states. Bipolar Disord. 2005; 7(3): 205–215.
109. HA Swartz , E Frank , Y Cheng . A randomized pilot study of psychotherapy and quetiapine for the acute treatment of bipolar II depression. Bipolar Disord. 2012; 14(2): 211–216.
110. I Pacchiarotti , M Valentí , CM Bonnin , etal. Factors associated with initial treatment response with antidepressants in bipolar disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011; 21(5): 362–369.
111. I Pacchiarotti , M Valentí , F Colom , etal. Differential outcome of bipolar patients receiving antidepressant monotherapy versus combination with an antimanic drug. J Affect Disord. 2011; 129(1–3): 321–326.