This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. K Yun , N Lurie , PS Hyde . Moving mental health into the disaster-preparedness spotlight. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(13):1193-1195.
3. LS Meredith , DP Eisenman , T Tanielian , et al. Prioritizing “psychological” consequences for disaster preparedness and response: a framework for addressing the emotional, behavioral, and cognitive effects of patient surge in large-scale disasters. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2011;5(1):73-80. doi: 10.1001/dmp.2010.47. Epub 2010 Nov 24.
5. CS North , B Pfefferbaum . Mental health response to community disasters: a systematic review. JAMA. 2013;310(5):507-518. doi: 10.10.1001/jama.2013.107799.
8. G Raviola , E Eustache , C Oswald , GS Belkin . Mental health response in Haiti in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake: a case study for building long-term solutions. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2012;20(1):68-77. doi: 10.3109/10673229.2012.652877.
10. LA Palinkas , MA Downs , JS Petterson , J Russell . Social, cultural, and psychological impacts on the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Hum Organ. 1993;52(1):1-13.
14. CS North , V McCutcheon , EL Spitznagel , ES Smith . Three-year follow-up of survivors of a mass shooting episode. J Urban Health. 2002;79(3):383-391.
15. SS Drury , MS Scheeringa , CH Zeahnah . The traumatic impact of Hurricane Katrina on children in New Orleans. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2008;17(3):685-702.
18. JE Corrarino . Disaster-related mental health needs of women and children. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2008;33(4):242-248. doi: 10.1097/01.NMC.0000326079.26870.e3.
19. E Lee , C Shen , TV Tran . Coping with Hurricane Katrina: psychological distress and resilience among African American evacuees. J Black Psychol. 2009;35(1):5-23.
20. N Pole , SR Best , T Metzler , CR Marmar . Why are hispanics at greater risk for PTSD? Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2005;11(2):144-161.
21. RE Adams , JA Boscarino . Differences in mental health outcomes among Whites, African Americans, and Hispanics following a community disaster. Psychiatry. 2005;68(3):250-265.
22. BR Lima , S Pai , H Santacruz , J Lozano . Psychiatric disorders among poor victims following a major disaster: Armero, Columbia. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1991;179(7):420-427.
23. N Breslau , GC Davis , P Andreski , EL Peterson . Traumatic events and posttraumatic stress disorder in an urban population of young adults. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1991;48(3):216-222.
24. CF Weems , SE Watts , MA Marsee , et al. The psychosocial impact Hurricane Katrina: contextual differences in psychological symptoms, social support, and discrimination. Behav Res Ther. 2007;45(10):2295-2306.
25. GA Bonnano , S Galea , A Bucciarelli , D Vlahov . What predicts psychological resilience after disaster? The role of demographics, resources, and life stress. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2007;75(5):671-682.
26. RC Kessler , S Galea , MJ Gruber , et al. Trends in mental illness and suicidality after Hurricane Katrina. Mol Psychiatry. 2008;13(4):374-384.
31. DP Aldrich . Building Resilience: Social Capital in Post-disaster Recovery. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press; 2012.
32. MJ Morton , N Lurie . Editorial: Community resilience and public health practice. Am J Public Health. 2013;103(7):1158-1159.
35. OL McCabe , C Perry , M Azur , et al. Psychological first aid training for paraprofessionals: a systems-based model for enhancing capacity of rural emergency response. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2011;26(4):1-8.
36. OL McCabe , C Perry , M Azur , et al. Guided preparedness planning with lay communities: a systems-based model for enhancing capacity of rural emergency response. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2013;28(1):1-8. doi:10.1017/S1049023X12001483.
41. OL McCabe , GS Everly , LM Brown , et al. Psychological first aid: a consensus-derived, empirically-supported, competency-based training model. Am J Public Health. 2014;104(4):621-628.
47. SJ Zahner , SM Corrado . Local health department partnerships with faith-based organizations. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2004;10(3):258-265.
48. PA Barnes , AB Curtis . A national examination of partnerships among local health departments and faith communities in the United States. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2009;15(3):253-263.
53. GP Mays , PK Halverson , FD Scuthfield . Behind the curve? What we know and need to know from public health systems research. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2003;9(3):179-182.
55. D Lenaway , P Halverson , S Sotnikov , et al. Public health systems research: setting a national agenda. Am J Public Health. 2006;96(3):410-413.