2. FM Burkle Jr Mass casualty management of a large-scale bioterrorist event: an epidemiological approach that shapes triage decisions. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2002;20 (2):409–436.
3. A Devereaux , MD Christian , JR Dichter , JA Geiling , L Rubinson Task Force for Mass Critical Care. Summary of suggestions from the task force for mass critical care summit, January 26-27, 2007. Chest. 2008;133 5(Suppl)1S–7S.
5. LO Gostin , JW Sapsin , SP. Teret The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act: planning for and response to bioterrorism and naturally occurring infectious diseases. JAMA. 2002;288 (5):622–628.
8. O Merin , N Ash , G Levy , MJ Schwaber , Y. Kreiss The Israeli field hospital in Haiti—ethical dilemmas in early disaster response. N Engl J Med. 2010;362 (11):e3820200362.
9. N Pesik , ME Keim , KV. Iserson Terrorism and the ethics of emergency medical care. Ann Emerg Med. 2001;37 (6):642–646.
10. L Rubinson , JB Nuzzo , DS Talmor , T O’Toole , BR Kramer , TV. Inglesby Augmentation of hospital critical care capacity after bioterrorist attacks or epidemics: recommendations of the Working Group on Emergency Mass Critical Care. Crit Care Med. 2005;33 (10):2393–2403.
12. AK Thompson , K Faith , JL Gibson , RE. Upshur Pandemic influenza preparedness: an ethical framework to guide decision-making. BMC Med Ethics. 2006;7:E1217144926.
22. CN Coleman , DM Weinstock , R. Casagrande Triage and treatment tools for use in a scarce resources-crisis standards of care setting after a nuclear detonation. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2011;5(Suppl 1)S98–S110.
24. CN Coleman , C Hrdina , JL. Bader Medical response to a radiologic/nuclear event: integrated plan from the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Department of Health and Human Services. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;53 (2):213–222.
28. SL. Fink Worst case: rethinking tertiary triage protocols in pandemics and other health emergencies. Crit Care. 2010;14 (1):10320122291.
29. T Guest , G Tantam , N Donlin , K Tantam , H McMillan , A. Tillyard An observational cohort study of triage for critical care provision during pandemic influenza: ‘clipboard physicians’ or ‘evidenced based medicine’? Anaesthesia. 2009;64 (11):1199–1206.
30. Z Khan , J Hulme , N. Sherwood An assessment of the validity of SOFA score based triage in H1N1 critically ill patients during an influenza pandemic. Anaesthesia. 2009;64 (12):1283–1288.
32. MD Christian , L Hawryluck , RS. Wax Development of a triage protocol for critical care during an influenza pandemic. CMAJ. 2006;175 (11):1377–1381.
33. LO. Gostin Medical countermeasures for pandemic influenza: ethics and the law. JAMA. 2006;295 (5):554–556.
38. A Kaji , KL Koenig , T. Bey Surge capacity for healthcare systems: a conceptual framework. Acad Emerg Med. 2006;13 (11):1157–1159.
39. P Dolan , R Shaw , A Tsuchiya , A. Williams QALY maximisation and people's preferences: a methodological review of the literature. Health Econ. 2005;14 (2):197–208.
40. JP Garoon , PS. Duggan Discourses of disease, discourses of disadvantage: a critical analysis of National Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Plans. Soc Sci Med. 2008;67 (7):1133–1142.
41. A. Williams Intergenerational equity: an exploration of the ‘fair innings’ argument. Health Econ. 1997;6 (2):117–132.
42. M Johri , LJ Damschroder , BJ Zikmund-Fisher , PA. Ubel The importance of age in allocating health care resources: does intervention-type matter? Health Econ. 2005;14 (7):669–678.
47. AC Beekley , BW Starnes , JA. Sebesta Lessons learned from modern military surgery. Surg Clin North Am. 2007;87 (1):157–184, vii.
48. RH. Brook Health policy and public trust. JAMA. 2008;300 (2):211–213.
51. NE Kass , J Otto , D O’Brien , M. Minson Ethics and severe pandemic influenza: maintaining essential functions through a fair and considered response. Biosecur Bioterror. 2008;6 (3):227–236.
53. GR. Holt Making difficult ethical decisions in patient care during natural disasters and other mass casualty events. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;139 (2):181–186.
54. TB Repine , P Lisagor , DJ. Cohen The dynamics and ethics of triage: rationing care in hard times. Mil Med. 2005;170 (6):505–509.