This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. SE Cosgrove . Evidence that prevention makes cents: costs of catheter-associated bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit. Critical Care Medicine 2006; 34: 2243–2244.
6. BA Rogers , Country-to-country transfer of patients and the risk of multi-resistant bacterial infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 53: 49–56.
TJ Doyle , RT Bryan . Infectious disease morbidity in the US region bordering Mexico, 1990–1998. Journal of Infectious Diseases
2000; 182: 1503–1510.
TL Byrd , JG Law . Cross-border utilization of health care services by United States residents living near the Mexican border. Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica
2009; 26: 95–100.
11. GC de Guzman , A survey of the use of foreign-purchased medications in a border community emergency department patient population. Journal of Emergency Medicine 2007; 33: 213–221.
JO Rivera ,
Study of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on the U.S./Mexico border. Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease
2009; 7: 30–34.
15. M Weinberg , The U.S.-Mexico Border Infectious Disease Surveillance project: establishing bi-national border surveillance. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 97–102.
17. GV Sanchez , In Vitro Antimicrobial resistance of urinary Escherichia coli isolates among U.S. outpatients from 2000 to 2010. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2012; 56: 2181–2183.
L Johnson ,
Emergence of fluoroquinolone resistance in outpatient urinary Escherichia coli isolates. American Journal of Medicine
2008; 121: 876–884.
19.National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004. American Journal of Infection Control 2004; 32: 470–485.
21. SK Fridkin , Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus disease in three communities. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 352: 1436–1444.
DC Burton ,
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus central line-associated bloodstream infections in US intensive care units, 1997–2007. Journal of the American Medical Association
2009; 301: 727–736.
28. MH Kyaw , Effect of introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. New England Journal of Medicine 2006; 354: 1455–1463.
BW Beall ,
Shifting genetic structure of invasive serotype 19A pneumococci in the United States. Journal of Infectious Diseases
2011; 203: 1360–1368.
30. AC Nyquist , Antibiotic prescribing for children with colds, upper respiratory tract infections, and bronchitis. Journal of the American Medical Association 1998; 279: 875–877.
33. C Gagliotti , Emergence of ciprofloxacin resistance in Escherichia coli isolates from outpatient urine samples. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2007; 13: 328–331.
34. AN Ortega , Health care access, use of services, and experiences among undocumented Mexicans and other Latinos. Archives of Internal Medicine 2007; 167: 2354–2360.
35. D Yong , Characterization of a new metallo-beta-lactamase gene, bla(NDM-1), and a novel erythromycin esterase gene carried on a unique genetic structure in Klebsiella pneumoniae sequence type 14 from India. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2009; 53: 5046–5054.
38. A Dreser , Regulation of antibiotic sales in Mexico: an analysis of printed media coverage and stakeholder participation. BMC Public Health 2012; 12: 1051.