This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. GM Ruiz-Palacios . The health burden of Campylobacter infection and the impact of antimicrobial resistance: playing chicken [Editorial commentary]. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 44: 701–703.
2. K Kubota , Estimating the burden of acute gastroenteritis and foodborne illness caused by Campylobacter, Salmonella, and Vibrio parahaemolyticus by using population-based telephone survey data, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, 2005 to 2006. Journal of Food Protection 2011; 74: 1592–1598.
3. AH Havelaar , Disease burden of foodborne pathogens in the Netherlands, 2009. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2012a; 156: 231–238.
6. CW Ang , BC Jacobs , JD Laman . The Guillain-Barré syndrome: a true case of molecular mimicry. Trends in Immunology 2004; 25: 61–66.
7. CC Tam , Guillain–Barré syndrome and preceding infection with Campylobacter, influenza and Epstein– Barr virus in the general practice research database. PLoS ONE 2007; 2: e344.
8. MAS de Wit , Sensor, a population-based cohort study on gastroenteritis in the Netherlands: incidence and etiology. American Journal of Epidemiology 2001; 154: 666–674.
9. CFL Amar , Detection by PCR of eight groups of enteric pathogens in 4,627 faecal samples: re-examination of the English case-control Infectious Intestinal Disease Study (1993–1996). European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2007; 26: 311–323.
10. RH Madden , L Moran , P Scates . Frequency of occurrence of Campylobacter spp. in red meats and poultry in Northern Ireland and their subsequent subtyping using polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism and the random amplified polymorphic DNA method. Journal of Applied Microbiology 1998; 84: 703–708.
11. SF Altekruse , Campylobacter jejuni – an emerging foodborne pathogen. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1999; 5: 28–35.
12. ML Devane , The occurrence of Campylobacter subtypes in environmental reservoirs and potential transmission routes. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2005; 98: 980–990.
16. CW Ang , Validation of an ELISA for the diagnosis of recent Campylobacter infections in Guillain-Barré and reactive arthritis patients. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2007; 13: 915–922.
18. G Falkenhorst , Serological cross-sectional studies on Salmonella incidence in eight European countries: no correlation with incidence of reported cases. BMC Public Health 2012; 12: 523–523.
20. J Simonsen , Estimation of incidences of infectious diseases based on antibody measurements. Statistics in Medicine 2009; 28: 1882–1895.
22. PFM Teunis , Biomarker dynamics: estimating infection rates from serological data. Statistics in Medicine 2012; 31: 2240–2248.
25. RE Black , Experimental Campylobacter jejuni infection in humans. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1988; 157: 472–479.
26. ME Hellard , Prevalence of enteric pathogens among community based asymptomatic individuals. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2000; 15: 290–293.
29. AN Swart , The protective effects of temporary immunity under imposed infection pressure. Epidemics 2012; 4: 43–47.