1. DC Savage . Microbial ecology of the gastrointestinal tract. Annual Review of Microbiology 1977; 31: 107–133.
4. JH Gordon , R Dubos . The anaerobic bacterial flora of the mouse cecum. Journal of Experimental Medicine 1970; 132: 251–260.
5. BS Drasar , The influence of a diet rich in wheat fibre on the human faecal flora. Journal of Medical Microbiology 1976; 9: 423–431.
9. JE Clarridge 3rd. Impact of 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis for identification of bacteria on clinical microbiology and infectious diseases. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2004; 17: 840–862.
10. C Jernberg , Monitorig of antibiotic-induced alterations in the human intestinal microflora and detection of probiotic strains by use of terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2005; 71: 501–506.
11. CJ Donskey , Use of denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis for analysis of the stool microbiota of hospitalized patients. Journal of Microbiological Methods 2003; 54: 249–256.
12. F Armougom , D Raoult . Use of pyrosequencing and DNA barcodes to monitor variations in Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes communities in the gut microbiota of obese humans. BMC Genomics 2008; 9: 576.
13. L Dethlefsen , The pervasive effects of an antibiotic on the human gut microbiota, as revealed by deep 16S rRNA sequencing. PLoS Biology 2008; 6: 280.
14. CA Lozupone , Diversity, stability and resilience of the human gut microbiota. Nature 2012; 489: 220–230.
16. T Olszak , Microbial exposure during early life has persistent effects on natural killer T cell function. Science 2012; 336: 489–493.
17. TS Stappenbeck , LV Hooper , JI Gordon . Developmental regulation of intestinal angiogenesis by indigenous microbes via paneth cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2002; 99: 15451–15455.
18. S Fukuda , Bifidobacteria can protect from enteropathogenic infection through production of acetate. Nature 2011; 469: 543–547.
19. M Candela , Interaction of probiotic Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains with human intestinal epithelial cells: adhesion properties, competition against enteropathogens and modulation of IL-8 production. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2008; 125: 286–292.
20. RE Ley , Microbial ecology: human gut microbes associated with obesity. Nature 2006; 444: 1022–1023.
21. AL Kau , Human nutrition, the gut microbiome and the immune system. Nature 2011; 474: 327–336.
22. DN Frank , Molecular-phylogenetic characterization of microbial community imbalances in human inflammatory bowel diseases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2007; 104: 13780–13785.
25. G Duytschaever , Cross-sectional and longitudinal comparisons of the predominant fecal microbiota compositions of a group of pediatric patients with cystic fibrosis and their healthy siblings. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2011; 77: 8015–8024.
26. GB Rogers , Comparing the microbiota of the cystic fibrosis lung and human gut. Gut Microbes 2010; 1: 85–93.
27. JG Bartlett , DN Gerding . Clinical recognition and diagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2008; 46 (Suppl. 1): S12–S18.
28. JS Bakken , Treating Clostridium difficile infection with faecal microbiota transplantation. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2011; 9: 1044–1049.
29. M Rupnik , MH Wilcox , DN Gerding . Clostridium difficile infection: new developments in epidemiology and pathogenesis. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2009; 7: 526–536.
30. J Freeman , The changing epidemiology of Clostridium difficile infections. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2010; 23: 529–549.
31. FA Zar , A comparison of vancomycin and metronidazole for the treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, stratified by disease severity. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 45: 302–307.
32. LV McFarland , GW Elmer , CM Surawicz . Breaking the cycle: treatment strategies for 163 cases of recurrent Clostridium difficile disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2002; 97: 1769–1775.
33. GB Rogers , MP Carroll , KD Bruce . Enhancing the utility of existing antibiotics by targeting bacterial behaviour? British Journal of Pharmacology 2012; 165: 845–57.
34. SJ Lawrence , JR Korzenik , LM Mundy . Probiotics for recurrent Clostridium difficile disease. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2005; 54: 905–906.
39. TJ Borody , A Khoruts . Fecal microbiota transplantation and emerging applications. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology 2011; 9: 88–96.
40. TJ Borody , Bacteriotherapy using fecal flora: toying with human motions. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 2004; 38: 475–483.
41. TJ Borody , Treatment of ulcerative colitis using faecal bacteriotherapy. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 2003; 37: 42–47.
42. SE Persky , LJ Brandt . Treatment of recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea by administration of donated stool directly through a colonoscope. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2000; 95: 3283–3285.
44. MJ Hamilton , Standardized frozen preparation for transplantation of fecal microbiota for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2012; 107: 761–767.
45. JS Bakken . Faecal bacteriotherapy for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. Anaerobe 2009; 15: 285–289.
46. LJ Brandt , TJ Borody , J Campbell . Endoscopic fecal microbiota transplantation: ‘first-line’ treatment for severe Clostridium difficile infection? Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 2011; 45: 655–657.
49. MJ Grehan , Durable alteration of the colonic microbiota by the administration of donor fecal flora. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 2010; 44: 551–561.
50. EO Petrof , Stool substitute transplant therapy for the eradication of Clostridium difficile infection: ‘RePOOPulating’ the gut. Microbiome 2013; 1: 3.
53. J Jansson , Metabolomics reveals metabolic biomarkers of Crohn's disease. PLoS ONE 2009; 4: e6386.
55. M Roberfroid , Prebiotic effects: metabolic and health benefits. British Journal of Nutrition 2010; 104: S1–S63.
58. AM Stephen , JH Cummings . The microbial contribution to human faecal mass. Journal of Medical Microbiology 1980; 13: 45–56.
59. J Qin , A human gut microbial gene catalogue established by metagenomic sequencing. Nature 2010; 464: 59–65.
60.The Human Microbiome Project Consortium. Structure, function and diversity of the healthy human microbiome. Nature 2012; 486: 207–214.
61. CP Kelly . Fecal microbiota transplantation – an old therapy comes of age. New England Journal of Medicine 2013; 368: 474–475.
62. S Kunde , Safety, tolerability, and clinical response after fecal transplantation in children and young adults with ulcerative colitis. Journal of Pediatriatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 2013. doi:10.1097/MPG.0b013e318292fa0d.