This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. LK McDougal , Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis typing of oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from the United States: establishing a national database. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 5113–5120.
3. U Seybold , Emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA300 genotype as a major cause of health care-associated blood stream infections. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2006; 42: 647–656.
4. C Maree , Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains causing healthcare-associated infections. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2007; 13: 236–242.
5. J Rodriguez-Bano , Clinical and molecular epidemiology of community-acquired, healthcare-associated and nosocomial methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Spain. Clinical Microbioliology and Infection 2009; 15: 1111–1118.
7. RM Klevens , Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and healthcare risk factors. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2006; 12: 1991–1993.
8. AM Stranden , Emergence of SCCmec type IV as the most common type of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a university hospital. Infection 2009; 37: 44–48.
9. G Lina , Involvement of Panton-Valentine leukocidin-producing Staphylococcus aureus in primary skin infections and pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1999; 29: 1128–1132.
10. K Okuma , Dissemination of new methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clones in the community. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2002; 40: 4289–4294.
11. GJ Moran , Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in community-acquired skin infections. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 928–930.
12. JM Voyich , Is Panton-Valentine leukocidin the major virulence determinant in community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus disease? Journal of Infectious Diseases 2006; 194: 1761–1770.
13. M Labandeira-Rey , Staphylococcus aureus Panton-Valentine leukocidin causes necrotizing pneumonia. Science 2007; 315: 1130–1133.
15. JT Wang , Risk factors for mortality of nosocomial methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) bloodstream infection: with investigation of the potential role of community-associated MRSA strains. Journal of Infection 2010; 61: 449–457.
16. KM Kreisel , USA300 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia and the risk of severe sepsis: is USA300 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus associated with more severe infections? Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 2011; 70: 285–290.
17. R Ganga , Role of SCCmec type in outcome of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in a single medical center. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2009; 47: 590–595.
18. RR Kempker , Association of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) USA300 genotype with mortality in MRSA bacteremia. Journal of Infection 2010; 61: 372–381.
19. B Hota , Predictors of clinical virulence in community-onset methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections: the importance of USA300 and pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 53: 757–765.
20. CL Moore , Comparative evaluation of epidemiology and outcomes of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) USA300 infections causing community- and healthcare-associated infections. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2009; 34: 148–155.
21. RM Klevens , Invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 2007; 298: 1763–1771.
22. TC Horan , M Andrus , MA Dudeck . CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. American Journal of Infection Control 2008; 36: 309–332.
23. RP Wenzel . Perspective: attributable mortality – the promise of better antimicrobial therapy. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1998; 178: 917–919.
24. LG Miller , Clinical and epidemiologic characteristics cannot distinguish community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection from methicillin-susceptible S. aureus infection: a prospective investigation. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 44: 471–482.
26. ES Yang , Body site colonization in patients with community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and other types of S. aureus skin infections. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2010; 16: 425–431.
27. ME Charlson , A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. Journal of Chronic Diseases 1987; 40: 373–383.
28. WA Knaus , APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system. Critical Care Medicine 1985; 13: 818–829.
29. A Mellmann , Based upon repeat pattern (BURP): an algorithm to characterize the long-term evolution of Staphylococcus aureus populations based on spa polymorphisms. BMC Microbiology 2007; 7: 98.
31. RV Goering , Molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus isolates from global clinical trials. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2008; 46: 2842–2847.
32. ML Brown , Prevalence and sequence variation of Panton-Valentine leukocidin in methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus strains in the United States. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2012; 50: 86–90.
34. JO Robinson , Community-associated versus healthcare-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia: a 10-year retrospective review. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 2009; 28: 353–361.
37. MC Roberts , Characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from public surfaces on a university campus, student homes and local community. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2011; 110: 1531–1537.
38. BA Diep , Emergence of multidrug-resistant, community-associated, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clone USA300 in men who have sex with men. Annals of Internal Medicine 2008; 148: 249–257.
39. LL Han , High frequencies of clindamycin and tetracycline resistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pulsed-field type USA300 isolates collected at a Boston ambulatory health center. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2007; 45: 1350–1352.