This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. J Tuttle , Lessons from a large outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections: insights into the infectious dose and method of widespread contamination of hamburger patties. Epidemiology and Infection 1999; 122: 185–192.
4. H Pennington . Escherichia coli O157. Lancet 2010; 376: 1428–1435.
13. S Shah , Prolonged fecal shedding of Escherichia coli O157:H7 during an outbreak at a day care center. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1996; 23: 835–836.
14. GA Willshaw , Verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli (VTEC) O157 and other VTEC from human infections in England and Wales: 1995–1998. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2001; 50: 135–142.
15. C Jenkins , Assessment of a real-time PCR for the detection and characterization of verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2012; 61: 1082–1085.
20. TG Boyce , DL Swerdlow , PM Griffin . Escherichia coli O157:H7 and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine 1995; 333: 364–368.
21. CH Pai , Epidemiology of sporadic diarrhea due to verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli: a two-year prospective study. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1988; 157: 1054–1057.
22. CS Wong , The risk of the hemolytic-uremic syndrome after antibiotic treatment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections. New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 342: 1930–1936.
23. AT Pavia , Hemolytic-uremic syndrome during an outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections in institutions for mentally retarded persons: clinical and epidemiologic observations. Journal of Pediatrics 1990; 116: 544–551.
F Proulx ,
Randomized, controlled trial of antibiotic therapy for Escherichia coli O157:H7 enteritis. Journal of Pediatrics
1992; 121: 299–303.
M Nitschke ,
Association between azithromycin therapy and duration of bacterial shedding among patients with Shiga toxin-producing enteroaggregative Escherichia coli O104:H4. Journal of the American Medical Association
2012; 307: 1046–1052.
28. ME Seifert , PI Tarr . Therapy: azithromycin and decolonization after HUS. Nature Reviews Nephrology 2012; 8: 317–318.
29. KG Snedeker , Primary and secondary cases in Escherichia coli O157 outbreaks: a statistical analysis. BMC Infectious Diseases 2009; 9: 144.
30. SM Parry , RL Salmon . Sporadic STEC O157 infection: secondary household transmission in Wales. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1998; 4: 657–661.
31. L Al-Jader , Outbreak of Escherichia coli O157 in a nursery: lessons for prevention. Archives of Disease in Childhood 1999; 81: 60–63.
33. P Reida , An outbreak due to enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 in a children day care centre characterized by person-to-person transmission and environmental contamination. Zentralblatt fur Bakteriologie 1994; 281: 534–543.
35. CC Tam , Longitudinal study of infectious intestinal disease in the UK (IID2 study): incidence in the community and presenting to general practice. Gut 2012; 61: 69–77.