This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. G Dominguez-Cherit , Critically ill patients with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) in Mexico. Journal of the American Medical Association 2009; 302: 1880–1887.
5. A Kumar , Critically ill patients with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) infection in Canada. Journal of the American Medical Association 2009; 302: 1872–1879.
6. JK Louie , Factors associated with death or hospitalization due to pandemic 2009 influenza A (H1N1) infection in California. Journal of the American Medical Association 2009; 302: 1896–1902.
7. J Rello , Intensive care adult patients with severe respiratory failure caused by Influenza A (H1N1) in Spain. Critical Care 2009; 13: R148.
8. E Estenssoro , Pandemic 2009 influenza A in Argentina: a study of 337 patients on mechanical ventilation. American Journal of Respiration and Critical Care Medicine 2010; 182: 41–48.
10. K Hancock , Cross-reactive antibody responses to the 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza virus. New England Journal of Medicine 2009; 361: 1945–1952.
12. D Viasus , Factors associated with severe disease in hospitalized adults with pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in Spain. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2011; 17: 738–746.
13. JH Kim , The spread of pandemic H1N1 2009 by age and region and the comparison among monitoring tools. Journal of Korean Medical Science 2010; 25: 1109–1112.
14. SY Shin , Clinical characteristics of Korean pediatric patients critically ill with influenza A (H1N1) virus. Pediatric Pulmonology 2010; 45: 1014–1020.
15. HS Kim , Fatal cases of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in Korea. Journal of Korean Medical Science 2011; 26: 22–27.
16. S Echevarria-Zuno , Infection and death from influenza A H1N1 virus in Mexico: a retrospective analysis. Lancet 2009; 374: 2072–2079.
18. MA Miller , The signature features of influenza pandemics – implications for policy. New England Journal of Medicine 2009; 360: 2595–2598.
19. J Gooskens , Morbidity and mortality associated with nosocomial transmission of oseltamivir-resistant influenza A (H1N1) virus. Journal of the American Medical Association 2009; 301: 1042–1046.
20. BA Cunha , V Thekkel , L Krilov . Nosocomial swine influenza (H1N1) pneumonia: lessons learned from an illustrative case. Journal of Hospital Infection 2010; 74: 278–281.
22. FE Poalillo , J Geiling , EJ Jimenez . Healthcare personnel and nosocomial transmission of pandemic 2009 influenza. Critical Care Medicine 2010; 38 (Suppl. 4): e98–102.
24. JK Louie , A novel risk factor for a novel virus: obesity and 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1). Clinical Infectious Disease 2011; 52: 301–312.
25. H Yu , Risk factors for severe illness with 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in China. Clinical Infectious Disease 2011; 52: 457–465.
26. CD Cooksley , Epidemiology and outcomes of serious influenza-related infections in the cancer population. Cancer 2005; 104: 618–628.
27. R Zarychanski , Correlates of severe disease in patients with 2009 pandemic influenza (H1N1) virus infection. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2010; 182: 257–264.
28. YS Chien , Predictors and outcomes of respiratory failure among hospitalized pneumonia patients with 2009 H1N1 influenza in Taiwan. Journal of Infection 2010; 60: 168–174.
29. H Yu , Effectiveness of oseltamivir on disease progression and viral RNA shedding in patients with mild pandemic 2009 influenza A H1N1: opportunistic retrospective study of medical charts in China. British Medical Journal 2010; 341: c4779.
30. T Jefferson , Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults: systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal 2009; 339: b5106.
31. J Garnacho-Montero , Impact of adequate empirical antibiotic therapy on the outcome of patients admitted to the intensive care unit with sepsis. Critical Care Medicine 2003; 31: 2742–2751.
33. JT Nguyen , Triple combination of oseltamivir, amantadine, and ribavirin displays synergistic activity against multiple influenza virus strains in vitro. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2009; 53: 4115–4126.
34. I Martin-Loeches , Use of early corticosteroid therapy on ICU admission in patients affected by severe pandemic (H1N1) influenza A infection. Intensive Care Medicine 2011; 37: 272–283.
35. T Xu , Effect of dexamethasone on acute respiratory distress syndrome induced by the H5N1 virus in mice. European Respiration Journal 2009; 33: 852–860.
36. N Lee , Viral loads and duration of viral shedding in adult patients hospitalized with influenza. Journal of Infectious Disease 2009; 200: 492–500.
37. CL Sprung , Hydrocortisone therapy for patients with septic shock. New England Journal of Medicine 2008; 358: 111–124.
38. L Cronin , Corticosteroid treatment for sepsis: a critical appraisal and meta-analysis of the literature. Critical Care Medicine 1995; 23: 1430–1439.
39. CL Sprung , The effects of high-dose corticosteroids in patients with septic shock. A prospective, controlled study. New England Journal of Medicine 1984; 311: 1137–1143.