1. MR Hilleman . Realities and enigmas of human viral influenza: pathogenesis, epidemiology and control. Vaccine 2002; 20: 3068–3087.
2. D Lavanchy . The importance of global surveillance of influenza. Vaccine 1999; 17 (Suppl. 1): S24–S25.
3. A Klimov , Surveillance and impact of influenza in the United States. Vaccine 1999; 17 (Suppl. 1): S42–S46.
4. I Stephenson , M Zambon . The epidemiology of influenza. Occupational Medicine (London) 2002; 52: 241–247.
5. MK Iwane , Population-based surveillance for hospitalizations associated with respiratory syncytial virus, influenza virus, and parainfluenza viruses among young children. Pediatrics 2004; 113: 1758–1764.
6. WW Thompson , Influenza-associated hospitalizations in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 2004; 292: 1333–1340.
7. GS Goldman . Using capture-recapture methods to assess varicella incidence in a community under active surveillance. Vaccine 2003; 21: 4250–4255.
9. A Chao , The applications of capture-recapture models to epidemiological data. Statistics in Medicine 2001; 20: 3123–3157.
11. CG Grijalva , Estimating the burden of influenza hospitalizations in young children using two independent surveillance systems. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2006; 12: 103–109.
12. MR Griffin , Epidemiology of respiratory infections in young children: insights from the new vaccine surveillance network. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2004; 23 (11 Suppl.): S188–S192.
13. KA Poehling , The underrecognized burden of influenza in young children. New England Journal of Medicine 2006; 355: 31–40.
19. JT Wittes . Note: on the bias and estimated variance of Chapman's two-sample capture-recapture population estimate. Biometrics 1972; 28: 592–597.
20. RR Regal , EB Hook . Goodness-of-fit based confidence intervals for estimates of the size of a closed population. Statistics in Medicine 1984; 3: 287–291.
21. GA Weinberg , Superiority of reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction to conventional viral culture in the diagnosis of acute respiratory tract infections in children. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2004; 189: 706–710.
22. A Schuchat , Active bacterial core surveillance of the emerging infections program network. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2001; 7: 92–99.
23. A Ruest , Comparison of the Directigen flu A+B test, the QuickVue influenza test, and clinical case definition to viral culture and reverse transcription-PCR for rapid diagnosis of influenza virus infection. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 3487–3493.
24. WJ Rodriguez , RH Schwartz , MM Thorne . Evaluation of diagnostic tests for influenza in a pediatric practice. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2002; 21: 193–196.
25. KA Poehling , Bedside diagnosis of influenzavirus infections in hospitalized children. Pediatrics 2002; 110: 83–88.
26. AC Cazacu , Comparison of the directigen flu A+B membrane enzyme immunoassay with viral culture for rapid detection of influenza A and B viruses in respiratory specimens. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2004; 42: 3707–3710.
27. ME Halloran , IM Longini Jr. Using validation sets for outcomes and exposure to infection in vaccine field studies. American Journal of Epidemiology 2001; 154: 391–398.
29. WP Glezen , RB Couch . Interpandemic influenza in the Houston area, 1974–76. New England Journal of Medicine 1978; 298: 587–592.
30. KM Neuzil , The effect of influenza on hospitalizations, outpatient visits, and courses of antibiotics in children. New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 342: 225–231.
31. MB Rennels , HC Meissner . Technical report: reduction of the influenza burden in children. Pediatrics 2002; 110: e80.