This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. JP Nuorti , A widespread outbreak of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis O:3 infection from iceberg lettuce. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2004; 189: 766–774.
9. L Pezzoli , Packed with Salmonella – investigation of an international outbreak of Salmonella Senftenberg infection linked to contamination of prepacked basil in 2007. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease 2008; 5: 661–668.
16. AL Reingold . Outbreak investigations – a perspective. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1998; 4: 21–27.
18. CW Hedberg , Outbreaks of salmonellosis associated with eating uncooked tomatoes: implications for public health. Epidemiology and Infection 1999; 122: 385–393.
19. Anonymous. Eggs and Salmonella infections. British Medical Journal 1944; 2: 760–761.
21. ME St Louis , The emergence of grade A eggs as a major source of Salmonella enteritidis infections. New implications for the control of salmonellosis. Journal of the American Medical Association 1988; 259: 2103–2107.
22. RK Gast . Detection of Salmonella enteritidis in experimentally infected laying hens by culturing pools of egg contents. Poultry Science 1993; 72: 267–274.
23. LW Riley , Hemorrhagic colitis associated with a rare Escherichia coli serotype. New England Journal of Medicine 1983; 308: 681–685.
24. JM Rangel , Epidemiology of Escherichia coli O157:H7 outbreaks, United States, 1982–2002. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 603–609.
28. AY Ho , Outbreak of cyclosporiasis associated with imported raspberries, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2000. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2002; 8: 783–788.
29. C Wheeler , An outbreak of hepatitis A associated with green onions. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 353: 890–897.
32. B Swaminathan , Building PulseNet International: an interconnected system of laboratory networks to facilitate timely public health recognition and response to foodborne disease outbreaks and emerging foodborne diseases. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease 2006; 3: 36–50.
33. MA Widdowson , Norovirus and foodborne disease, United States, 1991–2000. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 95–102.
34. SL Burnett , LR Beuchat . Human pathogens associated with raw produce and unpasteurized juices, and difficulties in decontamination. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 2001; 27: 104–110.
35. HL Tyler , EW Triplett . Plants as a habitat for beneficial and/or human pathogenic bacteria. Annual Review of Phytopathology 2008; 46: 53–73.
36. MT Brandl , RE Mandrell . Fitness of Salmonella enterica serovar Thompson in the cilantro phyllosphere. Applied Environmental Microbiology 2002; 68: 3614–3621.
38. MT Brandl , Comparison of survival of Campylobacter jejuni in the phyllosphere with that in the rhizosphere of spinach and radish plants. Applied Environmental Microbiology 2004; 70: 1182–1189.
41. SL Burnett , J Chen , LR Beuchat . Attachment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 to the surfaces and internal structures of apples as detected by confocal scanning laser microscopy. Applied Environmental Microbiology 2000; 66: 4679–4687.
44. AO Charkowski , Differences in growth of Salmonella enterica and Escherichia coli O157:H7 on alfalfa sprouts. Applied Environmental Microbiology 2002; 68: 3114–3120.
45. X Guo , Survival of salmonellae on and in tomato plants from the time of inoculation at flowering and early stages of fruit development through fruit ripening. Applied Environmental Microbiology 2001; 67: 4760–4764.
47. AE Fiore . Hepatitis A transmitted by food. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 38: 705–715.
48. M Cooley , Incidence and tracking of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in a major produce production region in California. PLoS ONE 2007; 2(11): e1159. Published online: 14 November 2007. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0001159.
51. S Sivapalasingam , A multistate outbreak of Salmonella enterica Serotype Newport infection linked to mango consumption: impact of water-dip disinfestation technology. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2003; 37: 1585–1590.
55. P Srikantiah , Web-based investigation of multistate salmonellosis outbreak. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 610–612.
64. GA Mumma , Egg quality assurance programs and egg-associated Salmonella enteritidis infections, United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 1782–1789.