1. Maddrey, WC. Hepatitis B – an important public health issue. Clinical Laboratory 2001; 47: 51–55.
2. Schaefer, S. Hepatitis B virus: significance of genotypes. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 2005; 12: 111–124.
3. Bartholomeusz, A, Schaefer, S. Hepatitis B virus genotypes: comparison of genotyping methods. Reviews in Medical Virology 2004; 14: 3–16.
4. Wai, CT, Fontana, FJ. Clinical significance of hepatitis B virus genotypes, variants and mutants. Clinics in Liver Disease 2004; 8: 321–352.
5. Fung, SK, Lok, ASF. Hepatitis B virus genotypes: do they play a role in the outcome of HBV infection? Hepatology 2004; 40: 790–792.
6. Zarski, JP, et al. Characteristics of patients with chronic hepatitis B in France: predominant frequency of HBe antigen negative cases Journal of Hepatology 2006; 45: 355–360.
7. Antaki, N. Hepatitis B e antigen-negative. Arab Journal of Gastroenterology 2002; 3: 10–17.
8. Bedossa, P, Poynard, T. An algorithm for the grading of activity in chronic hepatitis C. The METAVIR cooperative study group. Hepatology 1996; 24: 289–293.
9. Ramia, S, et al. Frequency and significance of antibodies against hepatitis B core (anti-HBc) antigen as the only serological marker for hepatitis B infection in Lebanese blood donors. Epidemiology and Infection 2005; 133: 695–699.
10. Saudy, N, et al. Genotypes and phylogenetic characterization of hepatitis B and delta viruses in Egypt. Journal of Medical Virology 2003; 70: 529–536.
11. Sayiner, AA, Ozcan, A, Sengonul, A. Naturally occurring MHR variants in Turkish patients infected with hepatitis B virus. Journal of Medical Virology 2008; 80: 405–410.
12. Masaadeh, HA, Hayajneh, WA, Alqudah, EA. Hepatitis B virus genotypes and lamivudine resistance mutations in Jordan. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2008; 14: 7231–7234.
13. Aghakhani, A, et al. Hepatitis B virus genotype in Iranian patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. International Journal of Infectious Disease. Published online: 12 January 2009. doi:10.1016/j.ijid.2008.10.009.
14. Abdo, AA, et al. Hepatitis B genotypes: relation to clinical outcome in patients with chronic hepatitis B in Saudi Arabia. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2006; 12: 7019–7024.
15. Kobayashi, M, et al. Clinical Characteristics of patients infected with hepatitis B virus genotypes A, B and C. Journal of Gastroenterology 2002; 37: 35–39.
16. Sakugawa, H, et al. Preponderance of hepatitis B virus genotype B contributes to a better prognosis of chronic HBV infection in Okinawa, Japan. Journal of Medical Virology 2002; 67: 484–489.
17. Orito, E, et al. Geographic distribution of hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotype in patients with chronic HBV infection in Japan. Hepatology 2001; 34: 590–594.
18. Chan, HL, et al. Genotype C hepatitis B virus infection is associated with an increased risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gut 2004; 53: 1494–1498.
19. Sanchez-Tapias, ET, et al. Influence of hepatitis B virus genotype in the long-term outcome of chronic hepatitis B in western patients. Gastroenterology 2002; 123: 1848–1856.
20. Thakur, V, et al. Profile, spectrum and significance of HBV genotypes in chronic liver disease patients in Indian subcontinent. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2002: 17: 165–170.
21. Wai, CT, et al. Clinical outcome and virological characteristics of hepatitis B-related acute liver failure in the United States. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 2005; 12: 192–198.
22. Wai, CT, et al. HBV genotype B is associated with better response to interferon therapy in HBeAg (+) chronic hepatitis than genotype C. Hepatology 2002; 36: 1525–1430.
23. Janssen, HL, et al. Pegylated interferon alfa-2b alone or in combination with Lamivudine for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B: a randomised trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 123–129.
24. Chien, RN, et al. Determinant of sustained HBeAg response to Lamivudine therapy. Hepatology 2003; 38: 1267–1273.
25. Zollner, B, et al. Viral features of Lamivudine resistant hepatitis B genotypes A and D. Hepatology 2004; 39: 42–50.
26. Lock, AS, Mc Mahon, BJ. Chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology 2007; 45: 507–539.
27. Fattovich, G, Bortolotti, F, Donato, F. Natural history of chronic hepatitis B: special emphasis on disease progression and prognostic factors. Journal of Hepatology 2008; 48: 335–352.
28. Lai, CL, Yuen, MF. The natural history of chronic hepatitis B. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 2007; 14: 6–10.
29.European Association for the Study of the Liver. EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines: management of chronic hepatitis B. Journal of Hepatology 2009; 50: 227–242.