1. van den Hoogen, BG, et al. A newly discovered human pneumovirus isolated from young children with respiratory tract disease. Nature Medicine 2001; 7: 719–724.
2. Kahn, JS. Epidemiology of human metapneumovirus. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2006; 19: 546–557.
3. Sloots, TP, et al. Human metapneumovirus, Australia, 2001–2004. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2006; 12: 1263–1266.
4. Williams, JV, et al. Human metapneumovirus and lower respiratory tract disease in otherwise healthy infants and children. New England Journal of Medicine 2004; 350: 1788–1790.
5. van den Hoogen, BG, et al. Prevalence and clinical symptoms of human metapneumovirus infection in hospitalized patients. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2003; 188: 1571–1577.
6. Peiris, JS, et al. Children with respiratory disease associated with metapneumovirus in Hong Kong. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 628–633.
7. Madhi, SA, et al. Seasonality, incidence, and repeat human metapneumovirus lower respiratory tract infections in an area with a high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus type-1 infection. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2007; 26: 693–699.
8. Weigl, JAI, et al. Ten years' experience with year-round active surveillance of up to 19 respiratory pathogens in children. European Journal of Pediatrics 2007; 166: 957–966.
9. Gerna, G, et al. Changing circulation rate of human metapneumovirus strains and types among hospitalized pediatric patients during three consecutive winter-spring seasons. Archives of Virology 2005; 150: 2365–2375.
10. Williams, JV, et al. The role of human metapneumovirus in upper respiratory tract infections in children: a 20-year experience. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2006; 193: 387–395.
11. Coirás, MT, et al. Simultaneous detection of fourteen respiratory viruses in clinical specimens by two multiplex reverse transcription nested-PCR assays. Journal of Medical Virolology 2004; 72: 484–495.
12. Fouchier, RA, et al. Detection of influenza A viruses from different species by PCR amplification of conserved sequences in the matrix gene. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2000; 38: 4096–4101.
13. Steininger, C, Aberle, SW, Popow-Kraupp, T. Early detection of acute rhinovirus infections by a rapid reverse transcription-PCR assay. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2001; 39: 129–133.
14. Drosten, C, et al. Identification of a novel coronavirus in patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine 2003; 348: 1967–1976.
15. Vabret, A, et al. Human coronavirus NL63, France. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 1225–1229.
16. Xu, W, McDonough, MC, Erdman, DD. Species-Specific identification of human adenoviruses by a multiplex PCR assay. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2000; 38: 4114–4120.
17. Kaida, A, et al. Seasonal distribution and phylogenetic analysis of human metapneumovirus among children in Osaka City, Japan. Journal of Clinical Virology 2006; 35: 394–399.
18. Wolf, DG, et al. Comparison of human metapneumovirus, respiratory syncytial virus and influenza A virus lower respiratory tract infections in hospitalized young children. Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal 2006; 25: 320–324.
19. Foulongne, V, et al. Human Metapneumovirus infection in young children hospitalized with respiratory tract disease. Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal 2006; 25: 354–359.
20. Garcia-Garcia, ML, et al. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of human metapneumovirus infections in hospitalized infants in Spain. Pediatric Pulmonology 2006; 41: 863–871.
21. Wilkesmann, A, et al. Human metapneumovirus infections cause similar symptoms and clinical severity as respiratory syncytial virus infections. European Journal of Pediatrics 2006; 165: 467–475.
22. Heikkinen, T, et al. Human metapneumovirus infections in children. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2008; 14: 101–106.
23. Vicente, D, et al. Hospitalization for respiratory syncytial virus in the paediatric population in Spain. Epidemiology and Infection 2003; 131: 867–872.
24. Montes, M, et al. Influenza-related hospitalisations among children aged less than 5 years old in the Basque Country, Spain: a 3-year study (July 2001–June 2004). Vaccine 2005; 23: 4302–4306.
25. Mullins, JA, et al. Human metapneumovirus infection among children hospitalized with acute respiratory illness. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 700–705.
26. von Linstow, ML, et al. Excretion patterns of human metapneumovirus and respiratory syncytial virus among young children. European Journal of Medical Research 2006; 11: 329–335.