1. Watt, IS, Franks, AJ, Sheldon, TA. Rural health and health care. British Medical Journal 1993; 306: 1358–1359.
2. Reading, R, Raybould, S, Jarvis, S. Deprivation, low birth weight, and children's height: a comparison between rural and urban areas. British Medical Journal 1993; 307: 1458–1462.
3. Banerjee, A, Harries, AD, Salaniponi, FM. Differences in tuberculosis incidence rates in township and in rural populations in ntcheu district, Malawi. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1999; 93: 392–393.
4. Vorokhobkin, IS. Age sex related and social characteristics of patients with new-onset tuberculosis in urban and rural areas. Problem Tuberkuleza i Boleznei Legkikh 2005; 12: 26–29.
5. Health Protection Agency. Tuberculosis Section. Annual report on tuberculosis cases reported in 2001 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, Health Protection Agency, London, 2004.
6. Raviglione, MC. The TB epidemic from 1992 to 2002. Tuberculosis 2003; 83: 4–14.
7. Diel, R, Niemann, S. Outcome of tuberculosis treatment in hamburg: A survey, 1997–2001. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2003; 7: 124–131.
8. Liff, JM, Chow, WH, Greenberg, RS. Rural-urban differences in stage at diagnosis. Possible relationship to cancer screening. Cancer 1991; 67: 1454–1459.
9. Greenberg, ER, et al. Referral of lung cancer patients to university hospital cancer centers. A population-based study in two rural states. Cancer 1988; 62: 1647–1652.
10. Campbell, NC, et al. Rural and urban differences in stage at diagnosis of colorectal and lung cancers. British Journal of Cancer 2001; 84: 910–914.
11. Barker, RD, Nthangeni, ME, Millard, FJ. Is the distance a patient lives from hospital a risk factor for death from tuberculosis in rural South Africa? International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2002; 6: 98–103.
12. Goddard, M, Smith, P. Equity of access to health care services: theory and evidence from the UK. Social Science and Medicine 2001; 53: 1149–1162.
13. Story, A, Roberts, W, Hayward, A. Tuberculosis in London: results of the 2003 TB case load profile. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2004; 8: S197.
14. Hall, SA, Kaufman, JS, Ricketts, TC. Defining urban and rural areas in U.S. epidemiologic studies. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 2006; 83: 162–175.