This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. KL O'Brien , Burden of disease caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in children younger than 5 years: global estimates. Lancet 2009; 374: 893–902.
5. JA Bettinger , The effect of routine vaccination on invasive pneumococcal infections in Canadian children, Immunization Monitoring Program, Active 2000–2007. Vaccine 2010; 28: 2130–2136.
G Hanquet ,
Impact of conjugate 7-valent vaccination in Belgium: addressing methodological challenges. Vaccine
2011; 29: 2856–64.
7. WH Liao , Impact of pneumococcal vaccines on invasive pneumococcal disease in Taiwan. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2010; 29: 489–492.
MC Pirez ,
Impact of universal pneumococcal vaccination on hospitalizations for pneumonia and meningitis in children in Montevideo, Uruguay. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal
2011; 30: 669–674.
L Dortet ,
Emergence of Streptococcus pneumoniae of serotype 19A in France: molecular capsular serotyping, antimicrobial susceptibilities, and epidemiology. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease
2009; 65: 49–57.
MR Jacobs ,
Changes in serotypes and antimicrobial susceptibility of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae strains in Cleveland: a quarter century of experience. Journal of Clinical Microbiology
2008; 46: 982–990.
14. J Linares , Changes in antimicrobial resistance, serotypes and genotypes in Streptococcus pneumoniae over a 30-year period. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2010; 16: 402–410.
R Dagan , KP Klugman . Impact of conjugate pneumococcal vaccines on antibiotic resistance. Lancet Infectious Diseases
2008; 8: 785–795.
DS Stephens ,
Incidence of macrolide resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae after introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine: population-based assessment. Lancet
2005; 365: 855–863.
A Fenoll ,
Susceptibility of pneumococci causing meningitis in Spain and prevalence among such isolates of serotypes contained in the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
2009; 64: 1338–1340.
19. HE Hsu , Effect of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on pneumococcal meningitis. New England Journal of Medicine 2009; 360: 244–256.
20. SI Pelton , Emergence of 19A as virulent and multidrug resistant pneumococcus in Massachusetts following universal immunization of infants with pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2007; 26: 468–472.
R Reinert ,
Pneumococcal disease caused by serotype 19A: review of the literature and implications for future vaccine development. Vaccine
2010; 28: 4249–4259.
CR Yoshioka ,
Analysis of invasive pneumonia-causing strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae: serotypes and antimicrobial susceptibility. Journal of Pediatric (Rio de Janeiro)
2011; 87: 70–75.
MA Borg ,
Prevalence of penicillin and erythromycin resistance among invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates reported by laboratories in the southern and eastern Mediterranean region. Clinical Microbiology and Infection
2009; 15: 232–237.
KL Nielsen ,
Characterization and transfer studies of macrolide resistance genes in Streptococcus pneumoniae from Denmark. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases
2010; 42: 586–593.
AM Shibl . Distribution of serotypes and antibiotic resistance of invasive pneumococcal disease isolates among children aged 5 years and under in Saudi Arabia (2000–2004). Clinical Microbiology and Infection
2008; 14: 876–879.
E Calbo ,
Invasive pneumococcal disease among children in a health district of Barcelona: early impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Clinical Microbiology and Infection
2006; 12: 867–872.
GJ Tyrrell ,
Serotypes and antimicrobial susceptibilities of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae pre- and post-seven valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine introduction in Alberta, Canada, 2000–2006. Vaccine
2009; 27: 3553–3560.
31. AR Tunkel , Practice guidelines for the management of bacterial meningitis. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 39: 1267–1284.
D Lehmann ,
The changing epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in aboriginal and non-aboriginal western Australians from 1997 through 2007 and emergence of nonvaccine serotypes. Clinical Infectious Diseases
2010; 50: 1477–1486.
SL Kaplan ,
Serotype 19A Is the most common serotype causing invasive pneumococcal infections in children. Pediatrics
2010; 125: 429–436.
S Maraki ,
Serotypes and susceptibilities of paediatric clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Crete, Greece, before and after the heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
2010; 29: 1449–1451.
38. M Imohl , Temporal variations among invasive pneumococcal disease serotypes in children and adults in Germany (1992–2008). International Journal of Microbiology 2010; 2010: 121–136.
39. EH Choi , Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A in children, South Korea. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2008; 14: 275–281.
DR Pillai ,
Genome-wide dissection of globally emergent multi-drug resistant serotype 19A Streptococcus pneumoniae
. BMC Genomics
2009; 10: 642.
41. X Xu , Distribution of serotypes, genotypes, and resistance determinants among macrolide-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2010; 54: 1152–1159.
WP Hanage ,
Diversity and antibiotic resistance among nonvaccine serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae carriage isolates in the post-heptavalent conjugate vaccine era. Journal of Infectious Diseases
2007; 195: 347–352.
BW Beall ,
Shifting genetic structure of invasive serotype 19A pneumococci in the United States. Journal of Infectious Diseases
2011; 203: 1360–1368.
EJ van Gils ,
Pneumococcal conjugate vaccination and nasopharyngeal acquisition of pneumococcal serotype 19A strains. Journal of the American Medical Association
2010; 304: 1099–1106.
HJ Lee ,
Immune response to 19A serotype after immunization of 19F containing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in Korean children aged 12–23 months. Korean Journal of Pediatrics
2011; 54: 163–168.