This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DJ Gubler . Epidemic dengue/dengue hemorrhagic fever as a public health, social and economic problem in the 21st century. Trends in Microbiology 2002; 10: 100–103.
2. DJ Gubler . The changing epidemiology of yellow fever and dengue, 1900–2003: full circle? Comparative Immunology, Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 2004; 27: 319–330.
4. EC Holmes , The origin, emergence and evolutionary genetics of dengue virus. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 2003; 3: 19–28.
5. EC Holmes , Phylogenetic evidence for recombination in dengue virus. Molecular Biology and Evolution 1999; 16: 405–409.
6. M Worobey , Widespread intra-serotype recombination in natural populations of dengue virus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 1999; 96: 7352–7357.
7. HJ Toulou , Evidence for recombination in natural populations of dengue virus type 1 based on the analysis of complete genome sequences. Journal of General Virology 2001; 82: 1283–1290.
8. HA Schmidt , TREE-PUZZLE: maximum likelihood phylogenetic analysis using quartets and parallel computing. Bioinformatics 2002; 18: 502–504.
9. AJ Drummond , BEAST: Bayesian evolutionary analysis by sampling trees. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2007; 7: 214.
10. C Zhang , Clade replacements in dengue virus serotypes 1 and 3 are associated with changing serotype prevalence. Journal of Virology 2005; 79: 15123–15130.
11. MC Ospina , Prolonged co-circulation of two distinct dengue virus type 3 lineages in the hyperendemic area of Medellín, Colombia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010; 83: 672–678.
13. SS Whitehead , Prospects for a dengue virus vaccine. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2007; 5: 518–528.
14. FA Rey , The envelope glycoprotein from tick-borne encephalitis virus at 2Å resolution. Nature 1995; 375: 291–298.
15. Y Modis , A ligand-binding pocket in the dengue virus envelope glycoprotein. Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences 2003; 100: 6986–6991.
16. JT Roehrig , Monoclonal antibody mapping of the envelope glycoprotein of the dengue 2 virus, Jamaica. Virology 1998; 246: 317–328.
17. SC Hsieh , A strong endoplasmic reticulum retention signal in the stem-anchor region of envelope glycoprotein of dengue virus type 2 affects the production of virus-like particles. Virology 2008; 374: 338–350.
18. VTT Hang , Emergence of the Asian 1 genotype of Dengue virus serotype 2 in Viet Nam: in vivo fitness advantage and lineage replacement in South-East Asia. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2010; 4: e757.
19. GA Van Slyke , Point mutations in the West Nile virus (Flaviviridae, Flavivirus) RNA-dependent RNA polymerase alter viral fitness in a host-dependent manner in vitro and in vivo. Virology 2012; 427: 18–24.
20. C Zhang , Structure and age of genetic diversity of dengue virus type 2 in Thailand. Journal of General Virology 2006; 87: 873–883.
21. C Klungthong , The molecular epidemiology of dengue virus serotype 4 in Bangkok, Thailand. Virology 2004; 329: 168–179.
22. SS Twiddy , Phylogenetic evidence for adaptive evolution of dengue viruses in nature. Journal of General Virology 2002; 83: 1679–1689.
23. J Bordignon , Dengue neurovirulence in mice: identification of molecular signatures in the E and NS3 helicase domains. Journal of Medical Virology 2007; 79: 1506–1517.
24. AR Engel , The neurovirulence and neuroinvasiveness of chimeric tick-borne encephalitis/dengue virus can be attenuate by introducing defined mutations into the envelope and NS5 protein genes and the 3' non-coding region of the genome. Virology 2010; 405: 243–252.
25. D Grant , A single amino acid in nonstructural NS4B protein confers virulence to dengue virus in AG129 mice through enhancement of viral RNA synthesis. Journal of Virology 2011; 85: 7775–7787.
26. KS Lee , Dengue virus surveillance in Singapore reveals high viral diversity through multiple introductions and in situ evolution. Infection Genetics and Evolution 2012; 12: 77–88.
27. AA Sall , Yellow fever virus exhibits slower evolutionary dynamics than dengue virus. Journal of Virology 2010; 84: 765–772.
28. RR Gray , The mode and tempo of hepatitis C virus evolution within and among hosts. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2011; 11: 131.
29. K Hanada , A large variation in the rates of synonymous substitution for RNA viruses and its relationship to a diversity of viral infection and transmission modes. Molecular Biology and Evolution 2004; 21: 1074–1080.