This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. RE Serfling , IL Sherman , WJ Houseworth . Excess pneumonia-influenza mortality by age and sex in three major influenza A2 epidemics, United States, 1957–58, 1960 and 1963. American Journal of Epidemiology 1967; 86: 433–441.
6. L Simonsen , Pandemic versus epidemic influenza mortality: a pattern of changing age distribution. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1998; 178: 53–60.
7. DM Fleming , The duration and magnitude of influenza epidemics: a study of surveillance data from sentinel general practices in England, Wales and the Netherlands. European Journal of Epidemiology 1999; 15: 467–473.
8. MA Mufson , Epidemiology of respiratory syncytial virus infection among infants and children in Chicago. American Journal of Epidemiology 1973; 98: 88–95.
9. LJ Anderson , RA Parker , RL Strikas . Association between respiratory syncytial virus outbreaks and lower respiratory tract deaths of infants and young children. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1990; 161: 640–646.
10. DM Fleming , KW Cross . Respiratory syncytial virus or influenza? Lancet 1993; 342: 1507–1510.
11. KG Nicholson . Impact of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus on mortality in England and Wales from January 1975 to December 1990. Epidemiology and Infection 1996; 116: 51–63.
13. MC Zambon , Contribution of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus to community cases of influenza-like illness: an observational study. Lancet 2001; 358: 1410–1416.
14. WW Thompson , Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 2003; 289: 179–186.
15. DM Fleming , RS Pannell , KW Cross . Mortality in children from influenza and respiratory syncytial virus. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2005; 59: 586–590.
16. G Agius , An epidemic of respiratory syncytial virus in elderly people: clinical and serological findings. Journal of Medical Virology 1990; 30: 117–127.
17. AR Falsey , Viral respiratory infections in the institutionalized elderly: clinical and epidemiologic findings. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 1992; 40: 115–119.
18. AR Falsey , Respiratory syncytial virus and influenza A infections in the hospitalized elderly. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1995; 172: 389–394.
19. AR Falsey , Respiratory syncytial virus infection in elderly and high-risk adults. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 352: 1749–1759.
21. M Aymard , Surveillance and impact of influenza in Europe. Groupe Regional d'Observation de la Grippe and European Influenza Surveillance Scheme. Vaccine 1999; 17 (Suppl, 1): S30–41.
22. TJ Meerhoff , Harmonising the virological surveillance of influenza in Europe: results of an 18-country survey. Virus Research 2004; 103: 31–33.
23. DM Fleming , Respiratory illness associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus infection. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2005; 90: 741–746.
26. RS Sunderland , DM Fleming . Continuing decline in acute asthma episodes in the community. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2004; 89: 282–285.
28. CB Hall , CE Long , KC Schnabel . Respiratory syncytial virus infections in previously healthy working adults. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2001; 33: 792–796.
29. ME Bustamante-Calvillo , Molecular detection of respiratory syncytial virus in postmortem lung tissue samples from Mexican children deceased with pneumonia. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2001; 20: 495–501.
30. RE Black , SS Morris , J Bryce . Where and why are 10 million children dying every year? Lancet 2003; 361: 2226–2234.
31. IG Djelantik , Incidence and clinical features of hospitalization because of respiratory syncytial virus lower respiratory illness among children less than two years of age in a rural Asian setting. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2003; 22: 150–157.
32. LG Stensballe , JK Devasundaram , EA Simoes . Respiratory syncytial virus epidemics: the ups and downs of a seasonal virus. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2003; 22: S21–32.
34. T Jefferson , Efficacy and effectiveness of influenza vaccines in elderly people: a systematic review. Lancet 2005; 366: 1165–1174.
35. The MIST (Management of Influenza in the Southern Hemisphere Trialists) Study Group. Randomised trial of efficacy and safety of inhaled zanamivir in treatment of influenza A and B virus infections. Lancet 1998; 352: 1877–1881.
36. MJ Makela , Clinical efficacy and safety of the orally inhaled neuraminidase inhibitor zanamivir in the treatment of influenza: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled European study. Journal of Infection 2000; 40: 42–48.
37. M Zambon , Diagnosis of influenza in the community: relationship of clinical diagnosis to confirmed virological, serologic, or molecular detection of influenza. Archives of Internal Medicine 2001; 161: 2116–2122.