This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. A Phalipon , LA Mulard , PJ Sansonetti . Vaccination against shigellosis: is it the path that is difficult or is it the difficult that is the path? Microbes and Infection 2008; 10: 1057–1062.
5. M Vidal , Single multiplex PCR assay to identify simultaneously the six categories of diarrheagenic Escherichia coli associated with enteric infections. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2005; 43: 5362–5365.
6. OG Gomez-Duarte , J Bai , E Newell . Detection of Escherichia coli. Salmonella spp., Shigella spp., Yersinia enterocolitica, Vibrio cholerae, and Campylobacter spp. enteropathogens by 3-reaction multiplex polymerase chain reaction. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 2009; 63: 1–9.
7. KR Aranda , U Fagundes-Neto , IC Scaletsky . Evaluation of multiplex PCRs for diagnosis of infection with diarrheagenic Escherichia coli and Shigella spp. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2004; 42: 5849–5853.
8. HS Houng , O Sethabutr , P Echeverria . A simple polymerase chain reaction technique to detect and differentiate Shigella and enteroinvasive Escherichia coli in human feces. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 1997; 28: 19–25.
9. KL Thong , Detection of virulence genes in Malaysian Shigella species by multiplex PCR assay. BMC Infectious Disease 2005; 5: 8.
11. H Schmidt , M Hensel . Pathogenicity islands in bacterial pathogenesis. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2004; 17: 14–56.
13. K Al-Hasani , Genetic organization of the she pathogenicity island in Shigella flexneri 2a. Microbial Pathogenesis 2001; 30: 1–8.
14. A Fasano , Shigella enterotoxin 1: an enterotoxin of Shigella flexneri 2a active in rabbit small intestine in vivo and in vitro. Journal of Clinical Investigation 1995; 95: 2853–2861.
15. K Al-Hasani , The sigA gene which is borne on the she pathogenicity island of Shigella flexneri 2a encodes an exported cytopathic protease involved in intestinal fluid accumulation. Infection and Immunity 2000; 68: 2457–2463.
17. KL Kotloff , Safety and immunogenicity of CVD 1208S, a live, oral DeltaguaBA Deltasen Deltaset Shigella flexneri 2a vaccine grown on animal-free media. Human Vaccines 2007; 3: 268–275.
20. J Wei , Complete genome sequence and comparative genomics of Shigella flexneri serotype 2a strain 2457T. Infection and Immunity 2003; 71: 2775–2786.
23. J Vila , Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli virulence factors in traveler's diarrhea strains. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 2000; 182: 1780–1783.
25. L Settanni , A Corsetti . The use of multiplex PCR to detect and differentiate food- and beverage-associated microorganisms: a review. Journal of Microbiology Methods 2007; 69: 1–22.
28. LT Brandal , Octaplex PCR and fluorescence-based capillary electrophoresis for identification of human diarrheagenic Escherichia coli and Shigella spp. Journal of Microbiology Methods 2007; 68: 331–341.
33. S Roy , Distribution of Shigella enterotoxin genes and secreted autotransporter toxin gene among diverse species and serotypes of Shigella isolated from Andaman Islands, India. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2006; 11: 1694–1698.
34. Y Li , Molecular detection of all 34 distinct O-antigen forms of Shigella. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2009; 58: 69–81.
35. Y Li , Development of a serotype-specific DNA microarray for identification of some Shigella and pathogenic Escherichia coli strains. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2006; 44: 4376–4383.
36. DR Call . Challenges and opportunities for pathogen detection using DNA microarrays. Critical Reviews in Microbiology 2005; 31: 91–99.