This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AS Monto . Global burden of influenza: what we know and what we need to know. International Congress Series 2004; 1263: 3–11.
2. F Carrat , Influenza burden of illness: estimates from a national prospective survey of household contacts in France. Archives of Internal Medicine 2002; 162: 1842–1848.
3. NM Ferguson , Strategies for mitigating an influenza pandemic. Nature 2006; 442: 448–452.
5. KO Kwok , GM Leung , S Riley . Modelling the proportion of influenza infections within households during pandemic and non-pandemic years. PLoS One 2011; 6: e22089.
7. FG Hayden , Inhaled zanamivir for the prevention of influenza in families. Zanamivir Family Study Group. New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 343: 1282–1289.
8. AS Monto , Zanamivir prophylaxis: an effective strategy for the prevention of influenza types A and B within households. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2002; 186: 1582–1588.
12. BJ Cowling , Preliminary findings of a randomized trial of non-pharmaceutical interventions to prevent influenza transmission in households. PLoS One 2008; 3: e2101.
13. BJ Cowling , Facemasks and hand hygiene to prevent influenza transmission in households: a cluster randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 2009; 151: 437–446.
15. JM Simmerman , Findings from a household randomized controlled trial of hand washing and face masks to reduce influenza transmission in Bangkok, Thailand. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 2011; 5: 256–267.
17. L Canini , Surgical mask to prevent influenza transmission in households: a cluster randomized trial. PLoS One 2010; 5: e13998.
19. S Cauchemez , Household transmission of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine 2009; 361: 2619–2627.
21. C Looker , Influenza A (H1N1) in Victoria, Australia: a community case series and analysis of household transmission. PLoS One 2010; 5: e13702.
23. J Papenburg , Household transmission of the 2009 pandemic A/H1N1 influenza virus: elevated laboratory-confirmed secondary attack rates and evidence of asymptomatic infections. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 51: 1033–1041.
24. OW Morgan , Household transmission of pandemic (H1N1) 2009, San Antonio, Texas, USA, April–May 2009. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2010; 16: 631–637.
26. T Suess , Shedding and transmission of novel influenza virus A/H1N1 infection in households – Germany, 2009. American Journal of Epidemiology 2010; 171: 1157–1164.
29. Y Yang , IM Longini Jr., ME Halloran . Design and evaluation of prophylactic interventions using infectious disease incidence data from close contact groups. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C (Applied Statistics) 2006; 55: 317–330.
32. SH Vollmer , G Howard . Statistical power, the Belmont report, and the ethics of clinical trials. Science and Engineering Ethics 2010; 16: 675–691.
35. ME Halloran , M-P Préziosi , H Chu . Estimating vaccine efficacy from secondary attack rates. Journal of the American Statistical Association 2003; 98: 38–46.
40. LF White , Estimation of the reproductive number and the serial interval in early phase of the 2009 influenza A/H1N1 pandemic in the USA. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 2009; 3: 267–276.
41. BJ Cowling , Estimation of the serial interval of influenza. Epidemiology 2009; 20: 344–347.
42. LL Lau , Viral shedding and clinical illness in naturally acquired influenza virus infections. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2010; 201: 1509–1516.
43. AJ Elliot , Monitoring the emergence of community transmission of influenza A/H1N1 2009 in England: a cross sectional opportunistic survey of self sampled telephone callers to NHS Direct. British Medical Journal 2009; 339: b3403.
44. OE Larios , Self-collected mid-turbinate swabs for the detection of respiratory viruses in adults with acute respiratory illnesses. PLoS One 2011; 6: e21335.
46. DK Ip , Validation of self-swab for virologic confirmation of influenza virus infections in a community setting. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2012; 205: 631–634.
51. H Nishiura , H Inaba . Estimation of the incubation period of influenza A (H1N1-2009) among imported cases: addressing censoring using outbreak data at the origin of importation. Journal of Theoretical Biology 2011; 272: 123–130.