This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. RCA Thompson , A Smith . Zoonotic enteric protozoa. Veterinary Parasitology 2011; 182: 70–78.
2. P Ravaszova , Occurrence of Cryptosporidium spp. in red foxes and brown bear in the Slovak Republic. Parasitology Research 2012; 110: 469–471.
3. JL Siembieda , Zoonotic pathogens isolated from wild animals and environmental samples at two California wildlife hospitals. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2011; 238: 773–783.
5. E Budu-Amoako , Occurrence of Giardia and Cryptosporidium in pigs on Prince Edward Island, Canada. Veterinary Parasitology 2012; 184: 18–24.
6. FS Ferreira , Intestinal parasites in dogs and cats from the district of Évora, Portugal. Veterinary Parasitology 2011; 179, 242–245.
8. MP Mark-Carew , Incidence of and risks associated with Giardia infections in herds on dairy farms in the New York City Watershed. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 2010; 52: 44.
9. F Petry , V Jakobi , TS Tessema . Host immune response to Cryptosporidium parvum infection. Experimental Parasitology 2010; 126: 304–309.
10. P Karanis , C Kourenti , H Smith . Waterborne transmission of protozoan parasites: a worldwide review of outbreaks and lessons learnt. Journal of Water and Health 2007; 5: 1–38.
11. S Baldursson , P Karanis . Waterborne transmission of protozoan parasites: review of worldwide outbreaks – an update 2004–2010. Water Research 2011; 45: 6603–6614.
C Mons ,
Monitoring of Cryptosporidium and Giardia river contamination in Paris area. Water Research
2009; 43: 211–217.
14. J Plutzer , A Törökné , P Karanis . Combination of ARAD microfibre filtration and LAMP methodology for simple, rapid and cost-effective detection of human pathogenic Giardia duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp. in drinking water. Letters in Applied Microbiology 2010: 50: 82–88.
15. C Kourenti , Development and application of different methods for the detection of Toxoplasma gondii in water. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2003; 69: 102–106.
16. M Inoue , A new filter-eluting solution that facilitates improved recovery of Cryptosporidium oocysts from water. Journal of Microbiological Methods 2003; 55: 679–686.
MJ Arrowood , CR Sterling . Isolation of Cryptosporidium oocysts and sporozoites using discontinuous sucrose and isopycnic Percoll gradients. Journal of Parasitology
1987; 73: 314–319.
19. K Koompapong , C Sutthikornchai , Y Sukthana . Cryptosporidium oocyst detection in water samples: floatation technique enhanced with immunofluorescence is as effective as immunomagnetic separation method. Korean Journal of Parasitology 2009; 47: 353–357.
20. T Wohlsen , Evaluation of five membrane filtration methods for recovery of Cryptosporidium and Giardia isolates from water samples. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2004; 70: 2318–2322.
21. RM McCuin , JL Clancy . Modifications to United States Environmental Protection Agency methods 1622 and 1623 for detection of Cryptosporidium oocysts and Giardia cysts in water. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2003; 69: 267–274.
22. T Kistemann , A comparison of efficiencies of microbiological pollution removal in six sewage treatment plants with different treatment systems. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 2008; 211: 534–545.
KE Searcy ,
Capture and retention of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts by Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms. Applied and Environmental Microbiology
2008; 72: 6242–6247.
24. P Larsen , Amyloid-like adhesins produced by floc-forming and filamentous bacteria in activated sludge. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2008; 74: 1517–1526.
27. R Briancesco , L Bonadonna . An Italian study on Cryptosporidium and Giardia in wastewater, fresh water and treated water. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 2005; 104: 445–457.
28. AA Lima . Tropical diarrhoea: new developments in traveller's diarrhoea. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases 2001; 14: 547–552.
29. RJ ten Hove Molecular diagnostics of intestinal parasites in returning travellers. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 2009; 28: 1045–1053
30. JA Castro-Hermida , Detection of Cryptosporidium spp. and Giardia duodenalis in surface water: a health risk for humans and animals. Water Research 2009; 43: 4133–4142.
34. JS Jagai , Seasonality of cryptosporidiosis: a meta-analysis approach. Environmental Research 2009; 109: 465–478.
35. JA Castro-Hermida , Contribution of treated wastewater to the contamination of recreational river areas with Cryptosporidium spp. and Giardia duodenalis. Water Research 2008; 42: 3528–3538.
37. B Grazioli , Giardia lamblia infection in patients with irritable bowel syndrome and dyspepsia: a prospective study. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2006; 12: 1941–1944.
38. T Kistemann , Microbial load of drinking water reservoir tributaries during extreme rainfall and runoff. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2002; 68: 2188–2197.
40. P Karanis , D Schoenen , HM Seitz . Distribution and removal of Giardia and Cryptosporidium in water supplies in Germany. Water Science and Technology 1998; 37: 9–18.
SU Lee ,
Pulsed-UV light inactivation of Cryptosporidium parvum
. Parasitology Research
2008; 102: 1293–1299.
G Ventura ,
Gastric cryptosporidiosis complicating HIV infection: case report and review of the literature. Euopean Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
1997; 9: 307–310.
44. PR Hunter , G Nichols . Epidemiology and clinical features of Cryptosporidium infection in immunocompromised patients. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2002; 15: 145–154.
45. WAM Hijnen , Transport of MS2 phage, Escherichia coli, Clostridium perfringens, Cryptosporidium parvum, and Giardia intestinalis in a gravel and a sandy soil. Environmental Science and Technology 2005; 39: 7860–7868.
46. SA Bradford , M Bettahar . Straining, attachment, and detachment of cryptosporidium oocysts in saturated porous media. Journal of Environmental Quality 2005; 34: 469–478.
47. WJ Weiss , Riverbank filtration for control of microorganisms: results from field monitoring. Water Research 2005; 39: 1990–2001.
A Redder ,
Constructed wetlands – Are they safe in reducing protozoan parasites?
International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health
2010; 213: 72–77.
49. S O Brockmann , Serological and epidemiological analysis of an outbreak of gastroenteritis among military recruits in Germany caused by Cryptosporidium parvum. Infection 2008; 36: 450–457.
50. V Gornik , 2001. First giardiasis-outbreak associated with contaminated water supply in Germany. Bundesgesundheitsblatt-Gesundheitsforschung-Gesungheitsschutz 2001; 44: 351–357.
52. P Karanis , A comparison of phase contrast microscopy and an immunofluorescence test for the detection of Giardia spp. in faecal specimens from cattle and wild rodents. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1996; 90: 250–251.
53. J Dreesman , Regionally increased incidence of notified cryptosporidiosis cases due to different laboratory methods [in German]. Gesundheitswesen 2007; 69: 483–487.