This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. HF Wertheim , Low prevalence of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) at hospital admission in The Netherlands: the value of search and destroy and restrictive antibiotic use. Journal of Hospital Infection 2004; 56: 321–325.
2. XW Huijsdens , Community-acquired MRSA and pig-farming. Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials 2006; 5: 26.
3. I Van Loo , Emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus of animal origin in humans. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2007; 13: 1834–1839.
4. A Voss , Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in pig farming. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 1965–1966.
5. L Armand-Lefevre , R Ruimy , A Andremont . Clonal comparison of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from healthy pig farmers, human controls, and pigs. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005; 11: 711–714.
6. EM Broens , Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from food production animals to humans: a review. CAB Reviews: Perspectives in Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Nutrition and Natural Resources 2008; 3: 1–12.
7. H Graveland , Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (ST398) in veal calf farming: human MRSA carriage related with animal antimicrobial usage and farm hygiene. PLoS ONE 2010; 5: e10990.
8. EM Broens , Prevalence and risk factor analysis of livestock associated MRSA-positive pig herds in The Netherlands. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2011; 102: 41–49.
10. LG Bode , Sustained low prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus upon admission to hospital in The Netherlands. Journal of Hospital Infection 2011; 79: 198–201.
12. JH Lee . Methicillin (oxacillin)-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from major food animals and their potential transmission to humans. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2003; 69: 6489–6494.
13. M Nemati , Antimicrobial resistance of old and recent Staphylococcus aureus isolates from poultry: first detection of livestock-associated methicillin-resistant strain ST398. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2008; 52: 3817–3819.
14. D Persoons , Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in poultry. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2009; 15: 452–453.
15. LJ Pletinckx , Screening of poultry-pig farms for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: sampling methodology and within herd prevalence in broiler flocks and pigs. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 2011; 11: 2133–2137.
18. EM Broens , Transmission of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus among pigs during transportation from farm to abattoir. Veterinary Journal 2010; 189: 302–305.
19. M Thrusfield , WIN EPISCOPE 2.0: improved epidemiological software for veterinary medicine. Veterinary Record 2001; 148: 567–572.
22. AJ De Neeling , Resistance of staphylococci in the Netherlands: surveillance by an electronic network during 1989–1995. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1998; 41: 93–101.
23. G Lina , Involvement of Panton-Valentine leukocidin-producing Staphylococcus aureus in primary skin infections and pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1999; 29: 1128–1132.
24. D Harmsen , Typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a university hospital setting by using novel software for spa repeat determination and database management. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 5442–5448.
27. EM Broens , Comparison of sampling methods used for MRSA-classification of herds with breeding pigs. Veterinary Microbiology 2011; 147: 440–444.
28. E De Boer , Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in meat. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2009; 134: 52–56.
29. AT Fessler , Characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from food and food products of poultry origin in Germany. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2011; 77: 7151–7157.