This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. A Manzur , F Gudiol . Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in long-term-care facilities. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2009; 15 (Suppl. 7): 26–30.
4. G Daeschlein , Risk factors for Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage in residents of three nursing homes in Germany. Journal of Hospital Infection 2006; 63: 216–220.
6. R Woltering , Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in patients in long-term care in hospitals, rehabilitation centers and nursing homes of a rural district in Germany. Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift 2008; 133: 999–1003.
8. C Suetens , Determinants of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage in nursing homes. Age and Ageing 2007; 36: 327–330.
9. S Pfingsten-Würzburg , Prevalence and molecular epidemiology of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in nursing home residents in northern Germany. Journal of Hospital Infection 2011; 78: 108–112.
10. P Brugnaro , Clustering and risk factors of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage in two Italian long-term care facilities. Infection 2009; 37: 216–221.
13. A Manzur , Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and factors associated with colonization among residents in community long-term-care facilities in Spain. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2008; 14: 867–872.
14. O Denis , Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among residents of nursing homes in Belgium. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2009; 64: 1299–1306.
16. M Eveillard , Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage in a long-term care facility: hypothesis about selection and transmission. Age and Ageing 2008; 37: 294–299.
17. DC Oliveira , Comparison of DNA sequencing of the protein A gene polymorphic region with other molecular typing techniques for typing two epidemiologically diverse collections of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2001; 39: 574–580.
18. L Koreen , spa typing method for discriminating among Staphylococcus aureus isolates: implications for use of a single marker to detect genetic micro- and macrovariation. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2004; 42: 792–799.
19. C Baum , Non-spa-typeable clinical Staphylococcus aureus strains are naturally occurring protein A mutants. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2009; 47: 3624–3629.
21. M Dulon , MRSA prevalence in European healthcare settings: a review. BMC Infectious Diseases 2011; 11: 138.
22. MW Ribbe , Nursing homes in 10 nations: a comparison between countries and settings. Age and Ageing 1997; 26 (Suppl. 2): 3–12.
23. RH Deurenberg , C Vink , S Kalenic , The molecular evolution of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2007; 13: 222–235.
24. M Wolters , MALDI-TOF MS fingerprinting allows for discrimination of major methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus lineages. International Journal of Medical Microbiology 2011; 301: 64–68.
26. U Nubel , A timescale for evolution, population expansion, and spatial spread of an emerging clone of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. PLoS Pathogens 2010; 6: e1000855.
27. H Grundmann , Geographic distribution of Staphylococcus aureus causing invasive infections in Europe: a molecular-epidemiological analysis. PLoS Medicine 2010; 7: e1000215.
28. I van Loo , Emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus of animal origin in humans. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2007; 13: 1834–1839.
29. AE Waters , Multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in US meat and poultry. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 52: 1227–1230.
30. SR Harris , Evolution of MRSA during hospital transmission and intercontinental spread. Science 2010; 327: 469–474.