1. Euro TB and the national coordinators for tuberculosis in the WHO European Region. Surveillance of tuberculosis in Europe. Report on tuberculosis cases notified in 2005. Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint Maurice, France, March 2007 (http://www.eurotb.org). Accessed 14 January 2008.
2. Díez M, et al. Tuberculosis in Spain: epidemiological pattern and clinical practice. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2002; 6: 295–300.
3. Caminero J, et al. Evaluation of tuberculosis trends in Spain, 1991–1999. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2003; 7: 236–242.
4. Friedman L, et al. Tuberculosis, AIDS and death among substance abusers on welfare in New York City. New England Journal of Medicine 1996; 334: 828–833.
5. Altet-Gomez MN, et al. Clinical and epidemiological aspects of smoking and tuberculosis: a study of 13 083 cases. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2005; 4: 430–436.
6. Moreno S, et al. Risk for developing tuberculosis among anergic patients infected with HIV. Annals of Internal Medicine 1993; 119: 194–198.
7. National Register of AIDS cases. Carlos III Health Institute, National Epidemiology Center, Secretariat of the National Plan of AIDS. HIV/AIDS epidemiological surveillance in Spain. Updated to December 2006. Semester Report no. 2, 2006.
8. Muga R, et al. Changes in the incidence of tuberculosis in a cohort of HIV-seroconverters before and after the introduction of HAART. AIDS 2007; 21: 2521–2527.
9. Selwyn PA, et al. A prospective study of the risk of tuberculosis among intravenous drug users with human immunodeficiency virus infection. New England Journal of Medicine 1989; 320: 545–550.
10. Horsburgh C. Priorities for the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine 2004; 350: 2060–2067.
11. Duncan LE, et al. Tuberculin sensitivity and HIV-1 status of patients attending a sexually transmitted diseases clinic in Lusaka, Zambia: a cross-sectional study. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1995; 89: 37–40.
12. Richeldi L. An update on the diagnosis of tuberculosis infection. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2006; 174: 736–742.
13. Converse PJ, et al. Comparison of a tuberculin Interferon-gamma assay with the tuberculin skin test in high-risk adults: effect of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1997; 176: 144–150.
14. Pai M, Riley LW, Colford JM. Interferon gamma assays in the immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis: a systematic review. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2004; 4: 761–776.
15. Arend SM, et al. Tuberculin skin testing and in vitro T cell responses to ESAT-6 and culture filtrate protein 10 after infection with Mycobacterium marinum or M. kansasii. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2002; 186: 1797–1807.
16. Menzies D, Pai M, Comstock G. Meta-analysis: new tests for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection: areas of uncertainty and recommendations for research. Annals of Internal Medicine 2007; 146: 340–354.
17. Lalvani A, et al. Enumeration of T cells specific for RDI-encoded antigens suggest a high prevalence of latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in healthy urban Indians. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2001; 183: 469–477.
18. Kimura M, et al. Comparison between a whole blood interferon-γ release assay and tuberculin skin testing for the detection of tuberculosis infection among patients at risk for tuberculosis exposure. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1999; 179: 1297–1300.
19. Dewan PK, et al. Feasibility, acceptability, and cost of tuberculosis testing by whole-blood interferon-gamma assay. BMC Infectious Diseases 2006; 6: 47.
20. Grimes CZ, et al. Tuberculosis infection in drug users: interferon-gamma release assay performance. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2007; 11: 1183–1189.
21. Ferrara G, et al. Use in routine clinical practice of two commercial blood tests for diagnosis of infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a prospective study. Lancet 2006; 367: 1328–1334.
22. Liebeschuetz S, et al. Diagnosis of tuberculosis in South African children with a T-cell-based assay: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 2004; 364: 2196–2203.
23. Taggart EW, et al. Evaluation of an In Vitro assay for Interferon gamma production in response to the Mycobacterium tuberculosis-synthesized peptide antigens ESAT-6 and CFP-10 and the PPD skin test. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 2006; 125: 467–473.
24. Tsiouris SJ, et al. Sensitivity analysis and potential uses of a novel gamma interferon release assay for diagnosis of tuberculosis. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2006; 44: 2844–2850.
25. Chapman AL, et al. Rapid detection of active and latent tuberculosis infection in HIV positive individuals by enumeration of Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific T cells. AIDS 2002; 16: 2285–2293.
26. Brock I, et al. Latent tuberculosis in HIV positive, diagnosed by the M. tuberculosis specific Interferon Gamma test. Respiratory Research 2006; 7: 56.
27. Rangaka MX, et al. Effect of HIV-infection on T-cell-based and skin test detection of tuberculosis infection. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2007; 175: 514–520.