This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
7. O-T Shikanga , High mortality in a cholera outbreak in western Kenya after post-election violence in 2008. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2009; 81: 1085–1090.
G Gunnlaugsson ,
Epidemic cholera in Guinea-Bissau: the challenge of preventing deaths in rural West Africa. International Journal of Infectious Diseases
2000; 4: 8–13.
JA Routh ,
Rapid assessment of cholera-related deaths, Artibonite Department, Haiti, 2010. Emerging Infectious Diseases
2011; 17: 2139–2142.
M-L Quilici ,
Vibrio cholerae O1 variant with reduced susecptbility to ciprofloxacin, Western Africa. Emerging Infectious Diseases
2010; 16: 1804–1805.
B Pal ,
Epidemics of severe cholera caused by El Tor Vibrio cholerae O1 Ogawa possessing the ctxB gene of the classical biotype in Orissa, India. International Journal of Infectious Diseases
2010; 14: e384–e389.
16. ED Mintz . A lion in our village: the unconscionable tragedy of cholera in Africa. New England Journal of Medicine 2009; 360: 1060.
18. EC Green , L Makhubu . Traditional healers in Swaziland: toward improved cooperation between the traditional and modern health sectors. Social Science & Medicine 1984; 18: 1071–1079.
PK Ram . Declines in case management of diarrhoea among children less than five years old. Bulletin of the World Health Organization
2008; 86: E–F.
DA Wigle ,
Acute ethanol ingestion modifies the circulating plasma levels of atrial natriuretic peptide. Alcohol
1993; 10: 275–280.
25. DL Swerdlow , Waterborne transmission of epidemic cholera in Trujillo, Peru: lessons for a continent at risk. Lancet 1992; 340: 28–32.
J Wright , S Gundry , R Conroy . Household drinking water in developing countries: a systematic review of microbiological contamination between source and point of use. Tropical Medicine & International Health
2004; 9: 106–117.
27. J Tuttle , Antimicrobial-resistant epidemic Shigella dysenteriae type 1 in Zambia: modes of transmission. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1995; 171: 371.
28. ED Mintz , FM Reiff , RV Tauxe . Safe water treatment and storage in the home. Journal of the American Medical Association 1995; 273: 948.
29. T Clasen , Interventions to improve water quality for preventing diarrhoea. British Medical Journal 2007; 334: 782.
30. DL Swerdlow , AA Ries . Cholera in the Americas. Journal of the American Medical Association 1992; 267: 1495.
ME Reller ,
Cholera prevention with traditional and novel water treatment methods: an outbreak investigation in Fort-Dauphin, Madagascar. American Journal of Public Health
2001; 91: 1608–1610.
33. V Curtis , S Cairncross . Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhoea risk in the community: a systematic review. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2003; 3: 275–281.
A Safa ,
Vibrio cholerae O1 hybrid El Tor strains, Asia and Africa. Emerging Infectious Diseases
2008; 14: 987.
36. CS Chin , The origin of the Haitian cholera outbreak strain. New England Journal of Medicine 2011; 364: 33–42.
38. J Sepulveda , JL Valdespino , L Garcia-Garcia . Cholera in Mexico: the paradoxical benefits of the last pandemic. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2006; 10: 4–13.