This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JB Kornum , Obesity and risk of subsequent hospitalization with pneumonia. European Respiratory Journal 2010; 36: 1330–1336.
2. AM Fry , Trends in hospitalizations for pneumonia among persons aged 65 years or older in the United State, 1988–2002. Journal of the American Medical Association 2005; 294: 2712–2719.
3. RW Thomsen , Rising incidence and persistently high mortality of hospitalized pneumonia: a 10-year population-based study in Denmark. Journal of Internal Medicine 2006; 259: 410–417.
4. CL Trotter , Increasing hospital admissions for pneumonia, England. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2008; 14: 727–733.
5. BA Lipsky , Risk factors for acquired pneumonococcal infections. Archives of Internal Medicine 1986; 146: 2179–2185.
6. J Almirall , Risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia in adults: a population-based case-control study. European Respiratory Journal 1999; 13: 349–355.
8. J Fernadez-Sola , High alcohol intake as a risk and prognostic factor for community-acquired pneumonia. Archives of Internal Medicine 1995; 155: 1649–1654.
9. HG Adams , C Jordan . Infections in the alcoholic. Medical Clinics of North America 1984; 68: 179–200.
10. X Formiguera , A Canton . Obesity: epidemiology and clinical aspects. Best Practice & Research: Clinical Gastroenterology 2004; 18: 1125–1146.
11. I Baik , A prospective study of age and lifestyle factors in relation to community-acquired pneumonia in US men and women. Archives of Internal Medicine 2000; 160: 3082–3088.
12. Y Inoue , Risk and protective factors related to mortality from pneumonia among middle-age and elderly community residents: the JACC study. Journal of Epidemiology 2007; 17: 194–202.
13. WA Blumentals , Body mass index and the incidence of influenza-associated pneumonia in a UK primary care cohort. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 2011; 6: 28–36.
21. Z Wang , WE Hoy . Waist circumference, body mass index, hip circumference and waist-to-hip ratio as predictors of cardiovascular disease in Aboriginal people. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2004; 58: 888–893.
22. Z Wang , WE Hoy . Body size measurements as predictors of type 2 diabetes in Aboriginal people. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders 2004; 28: 1580–1584.
25. DC Nieman . Exercise, infection, and immunity. International Journal of Sports Medicine 1994; 15: S131–S141.
GW Health , CA Macera , DC Nieman . Exercise and upper respiratory tract infection: isthere a relationship?
1992; 14: 353–365.
27. MI Neuman , WC Willet , GC Curhan . Physical activity and the risk of community-acquired pneumonia in US women. American Journal of Medicine 2010; 123: 281.e287–281.e211.
31. MM Gottschlich , Significance of obesity on nutritional, immunologic, hormonal and clinical outcome parameters in burns. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 1993; 93: 1261–1268.
32. J Amirall , New evidence of risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia: a population-based study. European Respiratory Journal 2008; 31: 1274–1284.
33. M Schnoor , Risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia in German adults: the impact of children in the household. Epidemiology and Infection 2007; 135: 1389–1397.