This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AR Tunkel , The management of encephalitis: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2008; 47: 303–327.
4. H Shoji , Acute viral encephalitis: the recent progress. Internal Medicine 2002; 41: 420–428.
5. A Chaudhuri , PG Kennedy . Diagnosis and treatment of viral encephalitis. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2002; 78: 575–583.
7. P Tattevin . Infectious meningoencephalitis in non-immunocompromised adult: state of the art [in French]. Revue de Médecine Interne 2009; 30: 125–134.
8. C Domenech , Role of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in pediatric encephalitis. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2009; 28: 91–94.
9. A Chakrabarti . Epidemiology of central nervous system mycoses. Neurology India 2007; 55: 191–197.
11. GL Campbell , West Nile virus. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2002; 2: 519–529.
12. WJ Bellini , Nipah virus: an emergent paramyxovirus causing severe encephalitis in humans. Journal of Neurovirology 2005; 11: 481–487.
13. SM Wang , Enterovirus 71, one virus and many stories. Pediatrics Neonatology 2008; 49: 113–115.
14. J Granerod , Causes of encephalitis and differences in their clinical presentations in England: a multicentre, population-based prospective study. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2010; 10: 835–844.
15. KL Davison , Viral encephalitis in England 1989–1998: what did we miss? Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003; 9: 234–240.
16. N Khetsuriani , RC Holmann , LJ Anderson . Burden of encephalitis–associated hospitalizations in the United States, 1988–1997. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2002; 35: 175–182.
17. M Koskiniemi , Infections of the central nervous system of suspected viral origin: a collaborative study from Finland. Journal of Neurovirology 2001; 7: 400–408.
18. M Koskiniemi , Epidemiology of encephalitis in children: a prospective multicentre study. European Journal of Pediatrics 1997; 156: 541–545.
19. RT Trevejo . Acute encephalitis hospitalizations, California, 1990–1999: unrecognized arboviral encephalitis? Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 1442–1449.
20. J Granerod , NS Crowcroft . The epidemiology of acute encephalitis Neuropsychological Rehabilitation 2007; 17: 406–428.
22. M Kulldorff , A space-time permutation scan statistic for disease outbreak detection. PLoS Medicine 2005; 2: e59.
27. A Mailles , V Vaillant , JP Stahl . Infectious encephalitis in France from 2000 to 2002: the hospital database is a valuable but limited source of information for epidemiological studies [in French]. Medicine et Maladies Infectieuses 2007; 37: 95–102.
30. S Frenos , An increasing incidence of chickenpox central nervous system complications in children: What's happening in Tuscany? Journal of Clinical Virology 2007; 38: 358–361.
33. JJ Sejvar . The evolving epidemiology of viral encephalitis. Current Opinion in Neurology 2006; 19: 350–357.
34. EA Gould , Impact of climate change and other factors on emerging arbovirus diseases. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2009; 103: 109–21.