This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. ML Jackson , The burden of community-acquired pneumonia in seniors: results of a population-based study. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 39: 1642–1450.
5. BJ Marston , Incidence of community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization. Results of a population-based active surveillance study in Ohio. The Community-Based Pneumonia Incidence Study Group. Archives of Internal Medicine 1997; 157: 1709–1718.
6. J Almirall , Epidemiology of community-acquired pneumonia in adults: a population-based study. European Respiratory Journal 2000; 15: 757–763.
8. E Vuori , Etiology of pneumonia and other common childhood infections requiring hospitalization and parenteral antimicrobial therapy. SE-TU Study Group. Clinical Infectious Diseases 1998; 27: 566–572.
10. E Vuori-Holopainen , H Peltola . Reappraisal of lung tap: review of an old method for better etiologic diagnosis of childhood pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2001; 32: 715–726.
11. AG Falade , Bacterial isolates from blood and lung aspirate cultures in Gambian children with lobar pneumonia. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 1997; 17: 315–319.
12. JA Scott , Diagnosis of pneumococcal pneumonia by psaA PCR analysis of lung aspirates from adult patients in Kenya. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 2554–2559.
14. S Ewig , Applying sputum as a diagnostic tool in pneumonia: limited yield, minimal impact on treatment decisions. Chest 2002; 121: 1486–1492.
15. JA Scott , Validation of immunoglobulin G enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for antibodies to pneumococcal surface adhesin A in the diagnosis of pneumococcal pneumonia among adults in Kenya. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2002; 186: 220–226.
17. DM Musher , Antibody to capsular polysaccharide of Streptococcus pneumoniae at the time of hospital admission for Pneumococcal pneumonia. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2000; 182: 158–167.
18. T Ishida , A 3-year prospective study of a urinary antigen-detection test for Streptococcus pneumoniae in community-acquired pneumonia: utility and clinical impact on the reported etiology. Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy 2004; 10: 359–363.
19. MD Smith , Rapid diagnosis of bacteremic pneumococcal infections in adults by using the Binax NOW Streptococcus pneumoniae urinary antigen test: a prospective, controlled clinical evaluation. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2003; 41: 2810–2813.
24. B Roson , Contribution of a urinary antigen assay (Binax NOW) to the early diagnosis of pneumococcal pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004; 38: 222–226.
25. TM File . Community-acquired pneumonia. Lancet 2003; 362: 1991–2001.
29. DM Musher , Nonspecificity of assaying for IgG antibody to pneumolysin in circulating immune complexes as a means to diagnose pneumococcal pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2001; 32: 534–538.
30. JP Watt , Nasopharyngeal versus oropharyngeal sampling for detection of pneumococcal carriage in adults. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2004; 42: 4974–496.