This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. D. Patterson (1995) Mortality in late czarist Russia: a reconnaissance. Social History of Medicine, 8, 179–210.
5. D. Barker (1989) Rise and fall of Western disease. Nature, 338, 371–372.
7. A. Brown (1997) The Gorbachev Factor (Oxford: Oxford University Press).
8. P. Walberg , M. McKee , V. Shkolnikov , L. Chenet and D. Leon (1998) Economic change, crime and mortality in Russia: regional analysis. British Medical Journal, 317, 312–318.
9. D. A. Leon , L. Saburova , S. Tomkins , E. Andreev , N. Kiryanov , M. McKee and V. M. Shkolnikov (2007) Hazardous alcohol drinking and premature mortality in Russia: a population based case-control study. The Lancet, 369(9578), 2001–2009.
10. P. Sparén , D. Vågerö , D. B. Shestov , S. Plavinskaja , N. Parfenova , V. Hoptiar , D. Paturot and M. R. Galanti (2004) Long term mortality after severe starvation during the siege of Leningrad: prospective cohort study. British Medical Journal, 328, 11.
11. I. Koupil , S. Plavinskaja , N. Parfenova , D. B. Shestov , P. D. Danziger and D. Vågerö (2009) Cancer mortality in women and men who survived the siege of Leningrad (19411944). International Journal of Cancer, 124(6), 1416–1421.
14. J. P. Mackenbach , I. Stirbu , A. J. Roskam , M. M. Schaap , G. Menvielle , M. Leinsalu and A. E. Kunst (2008) European Union Working Group on Socioeconomic Inequalities in Health. Socioeconomic inequalities in health in 22 European countries. New England Journal of Medicine, 358, 2468–2481. Erratum in: New England Journal of Medicine, 2008, 359, 14.
16. V. Shkolnikov , D. Leon , S. Adamets , E. Andreev and A. Deev (1998) Educational level and adult mortality in Russia: an analysis of routine data 1979–1994. Social Science and Medicine, 47, 357–369.
17. M. Leinsalu , D. Vågerö and A. Kunst (2003) Estonia 1989–2000: Enormous increase in mortality differences by education. International Journal of Epidemiology, 32(6), 1081–1087.
18. M. Murphy , M. Bobak , A. Nicholson , R. Rose and M. Marmot (2006) The widening gap in mortality by educational level in the Russian Federation, 1980–2001. American Journal of Public Health, 96, 1293–1299.
19. M. Leinsalu , I. Stirbu , D. Vågerö , R. Kalediene , K. Kovács , B. Wojtyniak , W. Wróblewska , J. P. Mackenbach and A. E. Kunst (2009) Educational inequalities in mortality in four Eastern European countries: divergence in trends during the post-communist transition from 1990 to 2000. International Journal of Epidemiology, 38(2), 512–525.
22. J. Rehm , U. Sulkowska , M. Mańczuk , P. Boffetta , J. Powles , S. Popova and W. Zatoński (2007) Alcohol accounts for a high proportion of premature mortality in central and eastern Europe. International Journal of Epidemiology, 36, 458–467.
23. Ö. Hemström (2002) Alcohol-related deaths contribute to socioeconomic differentials in mortality in Sweden. European Journal of Public Health, 12(4), 254–262.
24. P. Mäkelä , T. Valkonen and T. Martelin (1997) Contributions of deaths related to alcohol use to socioeconomic variation in mortality: register based follow-up study. British Medical Journal, 315, 211–216.