This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. JL Kuntz , EA Chrischilles , JF Pendergast , LA Herwaldt , PM Polgreen . Incidence of and risk factors for community-associated Clostridium difficile infection: a nested case-control study. BMC Infect Dis 2011;11:194.
3. A Deshpande , P Pasupuleti , P Thota , et al. Community-associated Clostridium difficile infection antibiotics: a meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013;68:1951–1961.
7. S Janarthanan , I Ditah , DG Adler , MN Ehrinpreis . Clostridium difficile–associated diarrhea and proton pump inhibitor therapy: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2012;107:1001–1010.
8. IM Tleyjeh , AB Abdulhak , M Riaz , et al. The association between histamine 2 receptor antagonist use and Clostridium difficile infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS One 2013;8:e56498.
9. IM Tleyjeh , AA Bin Abdulhak , M Riaz , et al. Association between proton pump inhibitor therapy and Clostridium difficile infection: a contemporary systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS One 2012;7:e50836.
11. S Shukla , A Shukla , S Guha , S Mehboob . Use of proton pump inhibitors and risk of Clostridium difficile–associated diarrhea: a meta-analysis. Gastroenterology 2010;138:S209.
12. JR Goodhand , W Alazawi , D Rampton . Systematic review: Clostridium difficile and inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2011;33:428–441.
14. JS Bajaj , JG O'Leary , KR Reddy , et al. Second infections independently increase mortality in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis: the North American Consortium for the Study of End-Stage Liver Disease (NACSELD) experience. Hepatology 2012;56:2328–2335.
15. S Waffenschmidt , T Janzen , E Hausner , T Kaiser . Simple search techniques in PubMed are potentially suitable for evaluating the completeness of systematic reviews. J Clin Epidemiol 2013;66:660–665.
R DerSimonian , N Laird . Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials
17. S Senn . Trying to be precise about vagueness. Stat Med 2007;26:1417–1430.
19. C Poole , S Greenland . Random-effects meta-analyses are not always conservative. Am J Epidemiol 1999;150:469–475.
20. SA Doi , L Thalib . A quality-effects model for meta-analysis. Epidemiology 2008;19:94–100.
23. AA Onitilo , SAR Doi , JJ Barendregt . Meta-analysis II: interpretation and use of outputs. In Doi SAR, Williams GM, eds. Methods of Clinical Epidemiology. Berlin: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013:253–266.
24. JAC Sterne , AJ Sutton , JPA Ioannidis , et al. Recommendations for examining and interpreting funnel plot asymmetry in meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. BMJ 2011;343:d4002.
S Dial , JA Delaney , AN Barkun , S Suissa . Use of gastric acid-suppressive agents and the risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile–associated disease. JAMA
27. S Dial , JA Delaney , V Schneider , S Suissa . Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile–associated disease defined by prescription for oral vancomycin therapy. Can Med Assoc J 2006;175:745–748.
29. LM Soes , HM Holt , B Bottiger , et al. The incidence and clinical symptomatology of Clostridium difficile infections in a community setting in a cohort of Danish patients attending general practice. Euro J Clin Microbiol 2014;33:957–967.
31. CA Marwick , N Yu , MC Lockhart , et al. Community-associated Clostridium difficile infection among older people in Tayside, Scotland, is associated with antibiotic exposure and care home residence: cohort study with nested case-control. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013;68:2927–2933.
32. DO Lowe , MM Mamdani , A Kopp , DE Low , DN Juurlink . Proton pump inhibitors and hospitalization for Clostridium difficile–associated disease: a population-based study. Clin Infect Dis 2006;43:1272–1276.
34. S Johnson , DN Gerding . Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea. Clin Infect Dis 1998;26:1027–1034.
35. RL Jump , MJ Pultz , CJ Donskey . Vegetative Clostridium difficile survives in room air on moist surfaces and in gastric contents with reduced acidity: a potential mechanism to explain the association between proton pump inhibitors and C. difficile–associated diarrhea? Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007;51:2883–2887.
36. S Hernández-Díaz , LAG Rodríguez . Steroids and risk of upper gastrointestinal complications. Am J Epidemiol 2001;153:1089–1093.
DM Patrick , F Marra , J Hutchinson , DL Monnet , H Ng , WR Bowie . Per capita antibiotic consumption: how does a North American jurisdiction compare with Europe?
Clin Infect Dis
FC Lessa , CV Gould , LC McDonald . Current status of Clostridium difficile infection epidemiology. Clin Infect Dis
43. SE Brockwell , IR Gordon . A comparison of statistical methods for meta-analysis. Stat Med 2001;20:825–840.
I Vesteinsdottir , S Gudlaugsdottir , R Einarsdottir , E Kalaitzakis , O Sigurdardottir , ES Bjornsson . Risk factors for Clostridium difficile toxin-positive diarrhea: a population-based prospective case-control study. Eur J Clin Microbiol
S Naggie , BA Miller , KB Zuzak , et al. A case-control study of community-associated Clostridium difficile infection: no role for proton pump inhibitors. Am J Med
D Suissa , JAC Delaney , S Dial , P Brassard . Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk of Clostridium difficile–associated disease. Br J Clin Pharmacol