This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. RM Dallal , BG Harbrecht , AJ Boujoukas , et al.Fulminant Clostridium difficile: an underappreciated and increasing cause of death and complications. Ann Surg 2002;235:363–372.
2. LC McDonald , M Owings , DB Jernigan . Clostridium difficile infection in patients discharged from US short-stay hospitals, 1996-2003. Emerg Infect Dis 2006;12:409–415.
3. DM Musher , S Aslam , N Logan , et al.Relatively poor outcome after treatment of Clostridium difficile colitis with metronidazole. Clin Infect Dis 2005;40:1586–1590.
4. J Pepin , L Valiquette , ME Alary , et al.Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in a region of Quebec from 1991 to 2003: a changing pattern of disease severity. CMAJ 2004;171:466–472.
7. TC Horan , M Andrus , MA Dudeck . CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care-associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. Am J Infect Control 2008;36:309–332.
10. KS Kaye , R Sloane , DJ Sexton , KA Schmader . Risk factors for surgical site infections in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006;54:391–396.
11. LC McDonald , GE Killgore , A Thompson , et al. An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2433–2441.
12. VG Loo , MD Libman , MA Miller , et al.Clostridium difficile, a formidable foe. CMAJ 2004;171:47–48.
13. VG Loo , L Poirier , MA Miller , et al.A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2442–2449.
15. JR O'Connor , S Johnson , DN Gerding . Clostridium difficile infection caused by the epidemic BI/NAP1/027 strain. Gastroenterology 2009;136:1913–1924.
16. AJ Kallen , Y Mu , S Bulens , et al.Health care-associated invasive MRSA infections, 2005-2008. JAMA 2010;304:641–647.