This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
9. S Harbarth , H Sax , P Gastmeier . The preventable proportion of nosocomial infections: An overview of published reports. J Hosp Infect 2003;54(4):258–266.
10. RP Shannon , B Patel , D Cummins , AH Shannon , G Ganguli , Y Lu . Economics of central line-associated bloodstream infections. Am J Med Qual 2006;21(suppl 6):7S–16S.
11. DK Warren , WW Quadir , CS Hollenbeak , AM Elward , MJ Cox , VJ Fraser . Attributable cost of catheter-associated bloodstream infections among intensive care patients in a nonteaching hospital. Crit Care Med 2006;34(8):2084–2089.
12. JB Dimick , RK Pelz , R Consunji , SM Swoboda , CW Hendrix , PA Lipsett . Increased resource use associated with catheter-related bloodstream infection in the surgical intensive care unit. Arch Surg 2001;136(2):229–234.
13. T Lansford , M Moncure , E Carlton , et al.Efficacy of a pneumonia prevention protocol in the reduction of ventilator-associated pneumonia in trauma patients. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2007;8(5):505–510.
17. RA Bologna , LM Tu , M Polansky , HD Fraimow , DA Gordon , KE Whitmore . Hydrogel/silver ion-coated urinary catheter reduces nosocomial urinary tract infection rates in intensive care unit patients: a multicenter study. Urology 1999;54(6):982–987.
18. JB Dimick , SL Chen , PA Taheri , WG Henderson , SF Khuri , DA Campbell Jr. Hospital costs associated with surgical complications: a report from the private-sector national surgical quality improvement program. J Am Coll Surg 2004;199(4):531–537.
23. D Pittet , S Harbarth . What techniques for diagnosis of ventilator-associated pneumonia? [see comment]. Lancet 1998; 352(9122):83–84.
26. P Pronovost , D Needham , S Berenholtz , et al.An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl J Med 2006;355(26):2725–2732.
27. SM Berenholtz , PJ Pronovost , PA Lipsett , et al.Eliminating catheter-related bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2004;32(10):2014–2020.
28. CM Coopersmith , JE Zack , MR Ward , et al.The impact of bedside behavior on catheter-related bacteremia in the intensive care unit. Arch Surg 2004;139(2):131–136.
29. DK Warren , JE Zack , JL Mayfield , et al.The effect of an education program on the incidence of central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infection in a medical ICU. Chest 2004; 126(5):1612–1618.
30. DK Warren , JE Zack , MJ Cox , MM Cohen , VJ Fraser . An educational intervention to prevent catheter-associated bloodstream infections in a nonteaching, community medical center. Crit Care Med 2003;31(7):1959–1963.
31. CM Coopersmith , TL Rebmann , JE Zack , et al.Effect of an education program on decreasing catheter-related bloodstream infections in the surgical intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2002; 30(1):59–64.
32. RJ Sherertz , EW Ely , DM Westbrook , et al.Education of physicians-in-training can decrease the risk for vascular catheter infection. Ann Intern Med 2000;132(8):641–648.
33. HM Babcock , JE Zack , T Garrison , et al.An educational intervention to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia in an integrated health system: a comparison of effects. Chest 2004;125(6):2224–2231.
34. JE Zack , T Garrison , E Trovillion , et al.Effect of an education program aimed at reducing the occurrence of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Crit Care Med 2002;30(11):2407–2412.
36. J Topal , S Conklin , K Camp , V Morris , T Balcezak , P Herbert . Prevention of nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infections through computerized feedback to physicians and a nurse-directed protocol. Am J Med Qual 2005;20(3):121–126.
40. N Rao , D Schilling , J Rice , M Ridenour , W Mook , E Santa . Prevention of postoperative mediastinitis: a clinical process improvement model. J Healthc Qual 2004;26(1):22–27.
45. EN Perencevich , KE Sands , SE Cosgrove , E Guadagnoli , E Meara , R Platt . Health and economic impact of surgical site infections diagnosed after hospital discharge. Emerg Infect Dis 2003;9(2):196–203.
46. JB Dimick , PJ Pronovost , JA Cowan , PA Lipsett . Complications and costs after high-risk surgery: where should we focus quality improvement initiatives? J Am Coll Surg 2003;196(5):671–678.
47. LA Herwaldt , SK Swartzendruber , MB Edmond , et al.The epidemiology of hemorrhage related to cardiothoracic operations. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998;19(1):9–16.